Are my closing costs to high even for NYC?

Are my closing costs to high even for NYC?

Bergen County NJ · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 1 vote

Hello all. I'm wondering if my closing costs are to high even for NYC.

3 Family new construction 9br, 5b, finished bsmt.


Interest 4.5%, 30 year fixed

Home price $680,000




Our origination fees

$1,790.00

Flood Certificate

$25.00

Prepaid Intrest 15 days

$1,006.03

Title services & lender title ins

$850.00



Pre paid finnance charges




Appraisal fee

$550.00

Compiance inspection (if applicable)

$150.00

First year home owners insurance

$1,800.00

Home owners insurance 2 months@ $150

$300.00

Taxes 3 months @ $416.67 per month

$1,250.00



Title services and lenders title insurance


Lenders title ins

$677.00

Departamental charges

$475.00

Bankruptcy & company charges

$185.00

Endorsements

$350.00

Escro service fee / contin

$300.00





Owners title insurance

$2,749.00

Recording fees

$550.00

Transfer taxes

$12,410.00

State tax/Stamp

$10,472.00

Survey

$500.00




$36,389.04



total cost

$716,389.04

0Reply
24 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Why are you paying the transfer tax? Is the seller exempt?

  • Bergen County NJ · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Hey Darren,

    Here in NYC it is common practice that the buyer pays the transfer taxes. Its not the law just common practice. I was able to get a 3k contribution from the realtor because he wanted to keep the sale. Seller would not agree to pay it but took money off the asking price. Here in NYC new constructions 3 families in decent areas are getting harder and harder to come by so I didn't want to make it a deal breaker.

    What sucks for me is that the transfer taxes are not tax deductible from what I understand.

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Francisco B. I would talk to your accountant and confirm about it being deductible or not. I'm working on my NY license and its very interesting to find out how there's the law and there's everything else when it comes to NYC. You're absolutely correct about limited number of great 3 fams in good places. If the numbers work then go for it. Where in NYC is it?

  • Bergen County NJ · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks for the replies. Its in queens. I would prefer Brooklyn but the prices are to high for me at the moment. Queens is now seeing a big spike because Brooklyn is so expensive. I will double check with my accountant about the transfer taxes.

    That's great that your getting your NY license. It's an interesting place that seems to break all the rules lol. The pace is fast and furious. Should be lots of fun for you. I plan on getting licensed myself one day. Must be great to have access to all that info.

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Francisco B. You're right about Queens. You can still find some value there so its great in what you're able to still get. Brooklyn is hotter than hot and will continue to be that way for years according to the real estate "experts" I met with at the NY Real Estate Expo. There's a shortage of available property even though about 17,000 units will come into the market in the next 2 years. Its amazing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.