Does my commercial lender need to know about my private loan?

Does my commercial lender need to know about my private loan?

Real Estate Agent · Windsor, CO · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 24 votes

Hello!

I have a number of homes in my name and one investment property with a private money loan that's in my LLC where my LLC is debtor.

If I’m looking to purchase a home with fha financing, do I need to disclose my private loan note?

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HurstBusiness Member
    Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rich Emery:

    Hello!

    I have a number of homes in my name and one investment property with a private money loan that's in my LLC where my LLC is debtor.

    If I’m looking to purchase a home with fha financing, do I need to disclose my private loan note?

     @Rich Emery Did you give a personal guarantee on the loan to the LLC?

    Hurst Real Estate, INC4.989 Reviews
  • Lender · Tampa/St. Petersburg/Sarasota FL and Knoxville/Sevierville/Maryville, TN · Member since 2018 · 361 posts · 178 votes
    3y

    It's probably on your taxes, so they will know about it anyway.

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Rich Emery - If you don't have a separate business tax return for this LLC, then the private loan note will need to be disclosed to the lender. However, if the LLC is part of a partnership or S corp business returns, all properties would be treated as a business versus rental income calculation. Those properties would not need to be disclosed on the application. Ultimately if you have the property on your individual tax returns via Schedule E, this would still make you liable for all debts. So if the property title is your personal name or LLC, it doesn't matter in the underwriter's eyes for the analysis of DTI. What matters to an underwriter is the liability on a business return or individual returns.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.