Cashout Refinance policies have changed. Is anybody still doing BRRR?

Cashout Refinance policies have changed. Is anybody still doing BRRR?

Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Hello, 

I recently purchased my first rental property in Utah which I remodeled and now I am looking into cashing out my money through a conventional loan for better interest terms. The mortgage officer I am using says I need to own the house at least 6 months to be able to take out the money I have invested in the property. 


Does anybody know a way around this? Any advice of what type of loan I could use that would let me cashout?

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Robin SimonBusiness Member
Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Fabricio Laboriel:

Hello, 

I recently purchased my first rental property in Utah which I remodeled and now I am looking into cashing out my money through a conventional loan for better interest terms. The mortgage officer I am using says I need to own the house at least 6 months to be able to take out the money I have invested in the property. 


Does anybody know a way around this? Any advice of what type of loan I could use that would let me cashout?


Yes - as others have said in the thread, DSCR Loans are perfect for this scenario to step into the void with this change in conventional seasoning requirement. Would recommend going with a a mortgage broker for your financing needs that has access to conventional options and non-QM DSCR options, or go straight to the source to a private lender specializing in DSCR or BRRRR

PS - check out some of these recent articles I did for BP on DSCR Loans 101 if you are unfamiliar with the product
https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HurstBusiness Member
    Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Fabricio Laboriel:

    Hello, 

    I recently purchased my first rental property in Utah which I remodeled and now I am looking into cashing out my money through a conventional loan for better interest terms. The mortgage officer I am using says I need to own the house at least 6 months to be able to take out the money I have invested in the property. 


    Does anybody know a way around this? Any advice of what type of loan I could use that would let me cashout?

     @Fabricio Laboriel    You loan officer is actually incorrect. The seasoning period to take cash out of a conventional loan using the improved value is actually 12 months.  It changed from 6 months to 12 months recently.  

    Hurst Real Estate, INC4.991 Reviews
  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA) · Member since 2022 · 470 posts · 349 votes
    3y

    Yep, it's 12 months now. The way around it is to get a DSCR loan that can be cashed out in as little as 3 months. It will come with a higher rate and fees than conventional but it lets you get your cash back in a much quicker time frame. It also ignores your personal debt to income ratio and goes off the rents vs mortgage payment of the property in order to qualify.

  • Sasha MohammedPro Member
    Lender · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2018 · 337 posts · 245 votes
    3y

    both answers above are correct, it depends on the loan program and lender you go with. 

    Conventional loan cash-out seasoning just moved to 12 months if the loan you are paying off to refi (existing) was originated after i think March 7th was the date. if it was originated before then, you can still do a cash-out refi on a conventional loan after 6 months. 

    As @Ash Hegde mentioned above, there are lenders that can do as little as 3-months cash-out seasoning, but it would be a different loan type altogether. DSCR looks at the property as a business and whether or not that "business" is profitable. This differs from fannie/ freddie who look at YOU as a "borrower" and your ability to repay (ATR) on that loan.

    pros and cons to both. if the goal is cash-out as quickly as you can, DSCR or some other type of Non-QM loan would be your best bet

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Fabricio Laboriel:

    Hello, 

    I recently purchased my first rental property in Utah which I remodeled and now I am looking into cashing out my money through a conventional loan for better interest terms. The mortgage officer I am using says I need to own the house at least 6 months to be able to take out the money I have invested in the property. 


    Does anybody know a way around this? Any advice of what type of loan I could use that would let me cashout?


     As others have said, conventional is now 12 months.

    We're seeing a sharp increase in DSCR loans as a result. 3 months is the minimum. Better pricing and more choice in lenders happens at 6 months. You can apply at 5 months and close right after you cross the 6 month threshold.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Fabricio Laboriel:

    Hello, 

    I recently purchased my first rental property in Utah which I remodeled and now I am looking into cashing out my money through a conventional loan for better interest terms. The mortgage officer I am using says I need to own the house at least 6 months to be able to take out the money I have invested in the property. 


    Does anybody know a way around this? Any advice of what type of loan I could use that would let me cashout?


    You are getting correct answers, but not the advice. It is an educated bet to expect rates to be lower in the next 6 to 12 month - at the moment you pay more than 1% premium on 30y fixed, that will normalize sooner or later. I would refi with a cheaper 5 year portfolio loan now and then refi when rates are lower. You pay a premium for a 30 year now and on every single payment and will refi into another 30y later anyway.

  • Realtor · Orem, UT · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Now that they just came out with the 12 month rule, the only way to get around it is to try a DSCR loan. These usually are going to have higher rates and a pre payment penalty if you refi out of it before the pre-payment period.

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    3y

    @Fabricio Laboriel- getting cash out on a recently purchased  rental  property should be possible  before 6 months  ( assuming you  used  your  own funds to purchase it and that  these funds used  can be all  documented 

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Fabricio Laboriel:

    Hello, 

    I recently purchased my first rental property in Utah which I remodeled and now I am looking into cashing out my money through a conventional loan for better interest terms. The mortgage officer I am using says I need to own the house at least 6 months to be able to take out the money I have invested in the property. 


    Does anybody know a way around this? Any advice of what type of loan I could use that would let me cashout?


    Yes - as others have said in the thread, DSCR Loans are perfect for this scenario to step into the void with this change in conventional seasoning requirement. Would recommend going with a a mortgage broker for your financing needs that has access to conventional options and non-QM DSCR options, or go straight to the source to a private lender specializing in DSCR or BRRRR

    PS - check out some of these recent articles I did for BP on DSCR Loans 101 if you are unfamiliar with the product
    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.