I found a multi family property that is under $100k. I am already approved for $130k. When I told my lender about the property, they stated they could not finance if it is under $100k.
Does anyone have any suggestions for trying to get this property financed?
How many units is the property? A lot of DSCR lenders should be able to help, as minimum loan amounts go down to $50k with some lenders. They may have a "Per Door" value, so that is why I asked about how many units. I'd be happy to connect to see if I can help or give you some recommendations. Feel free to reach out.
How many units is the property? A lot of DSCR lenders should be able to help, as minimum loan amounts go down to $50k with some lenders. They may have a "Per Door" value, so that is why I asked about how many units. I'd be happy to connect to see if I can help or give you some recommendations. Feel free to reach out.
Lender · Massillon, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 486 votes
3y
Conventional or nonQM? If nonQM, most lenders have a $100k loan amount minimum. I've seen some that go down to $55k-$75k depending on the scenario. Conventional should be a bit easier to finance with a low (sub $100k) loan amount.
I found a multi family property that is under $100k. I am already approved for $130k. When I told my lender about the property, they stated they could not finance if it is under $100k.
Does anyone have any suggestions for trying to get this property financed?
Thank you.
Hi Hector, great job finding a potential property!
Start talking to other lenders, plain and simple... you preapproval does not hold you obligated to anything. Talk with local banks, regional banks, credit unions, mortgage brokers, etc... keep having conversations with lenders until someone is willing/able and excited to help you through this exciting journey!
Hello! Most of the lenders have a minimum of 50k per door and 100k minimum of as-is value limit for rental purchase. However, you can inquire about a non-DSCR or commercial loan with the higher rate, but 50k minimum loan amount. If property needs a light rehab, fix & flip loan will be a good way to acquire this property since the loan minimum is also 50k.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
3y
If you have a primary maybe a HELOC? Do you have a significant down payment? Maybe seller would finance if you put down $15k (20%) and a 5 year mortgage? ($1,000/mo plus interest). A friend/relative that has either cash or equity that would lend it to for 6-8%?
Conventional or nonQM? If nonQM, most lenders have a $100k loan amount minimum. I've seen some that go down to $55k-$75k depending on the scenario. Conventional should be a bit easier to finance with a low (sub $100k) loan amount.
Thank you for your response. This is a conventional loan where I was going to put down 25% but they stated they would not finance since it was under $100k.
I found a multi family property that is under $100k. I am already approved for $130k. When I told my lender about the property, they stated they could not finance if it is under $100k.
Does anyone have any suggestions for trying to get this property financed?
Thank you.
Hi Hector, great job finding a potential property!
Start talking to other lenders, plain and simple... you preapproval does not hold you obligated to anything. Talk with local banks, regional banks, credit unions, mortgage brokers, etc... keep having conversations with lenders until someone is willing/able and excited to help you through this exciting journey!
Thank you for the idea. I will reach out to local bank and credit unions.
Conventional or nonQM? If nonQM, most lenders have a $100k loan amount minimum. I've seen some that go down to $55k-$75k depending on the scenario. Conventional should be a bit easier to finance with a low (sub $100k) loan amount.
Thank you for your response. This is a conventional loan where I was going to put down 25% but they stated they would not finance since it was under $100k.
Ah, gotcha. Different banks have different requirements. Lower loan amounts are common here in the Midwest…~$50k loans aren’t unheard of, just depends on the whole scenario on whether or not it makes sense to do
Hello! Most of the lenders have a minimum of 50k per door and 100k minimum of as-is value limit for rental purchase. However, you can inquire about a non-DSCR or commercial loan with the higher rate, but 50k minimum loan amount. If property needs a light rehab, fix & flip loan will be a good way to acquire this property since the loan minimum is also 50k.
Hi Ana,
Thank you responding. The property I am looking at is under 100k. Thank you for the information.
I found a multi family property that is under $100k. I am already approved for $130k. When I told my lender about the property, they stated they could not finance if it is under $100k.
Does anyone have any suggestions for trying to get this property financed?
Thank you.
Hello Hector, while low purchase price(resulting in low loans) may be a problem, there may be a few local/ national lenders that may be willing to help you. It'd be an issue of finding them. Keep in mind, some lenders may be willing to do this but maybe not in an LLC. Your rate may be slightly higher too because from a lender perspective low loan amounts under 100K could be a little risky especially if it happens that they have to foreclose on.
I have a DSCR but it also starts at a $75k minimum loan amount. typically I advise folks that are coming a little less to do a fix & flip, then DSCR cash out at $75k. That way you can acquire, renovate, and either sell off or rent. the fix & flip is a 90% ltv + 100% renovation.
ex. pp: $72k
Loan 90%ltv: $64,800 + $11k reno= $75,800- that's the minimum loan amount met and we can close. Then you can refinance at $75k in 3 months as long as the ARV is $108k+
I have a DSCR but it also starts at a $75k minimum loan amount. typically I advise folks that are coming a little less to do a fix & flip, then DSCR cash out at $75k. That way you can acquire, renovate, and either sell off or rent. the fix & flip is a 90% ltv + 100% renovation.
ex. pp: $72k
Loan 90%ltv: $64,800 + $11k reno= $75,800- that's the minimum loan amount met and we can close. Then you can refinance at $75k in 3 months as long as the ARV is $108k+
Hi Matt,
Thank you for the information. This was really helpful.
I found a multi family property that is under $100k. I am already approved for $130k. When I told my lender about the property, they stated they could not finance if it is under $100k.
Does anyone have any suggestions for trying to get this property financed?
Thank you.
Hello Hector, while low purchase price(resulting in low loans) may be a problem, there may be a few local/ national lenders that may be willing to help you. It'd be an issue of finding them. Keep in mind, some lenders may be willing to do this but maybe not in an LLC. Your rate may be slightly higher too because from a lender perspective low loan amounts under 100K could be a little risky especially if it happens that they have to foreclose on.
Hi Dennis,
Thank you for the information. I ended up finding a local lender and I am good to go.