Paperwork for a private loan

Paperwork for a private loan

Investor · California and Chattanooga · Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 2 votes
Hi all, 
   I have a friend / private money person who is going to lend me money to buy a property.  I know I will be writing a prommisary note that I'll get notarized. But I also want to give him security of having a lien on a property that is not the subject property. How to do I do this? Both properties are in California.  Thanks!
       
0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

You don’t borrow what could be a life-changing amount of money from a friend and have them obtain their docs through a title company, @Lynne Castillo. Title companies have lawyers, but they are not your friend’s lawyer.  Nor will a title company provide a complete loan package.

Your friend needs a lending attorney to prepare a set of loan documents. Here are a few that I know can help:

Wright Finlay&Zac Michelle Rodriguez can help your friend.

Geraci Law Firm Melissa Martorella runs the lending docs team and can help your friend.

Doss Law Your friend can ask for Chris Donovan.

For what it’s worth, notes do not get notarized. Depending on the interest rate and points, this might require a broker. The attorney will advise. Don’t try to do this on your own, Lynn. And, be careful of the advice you get here.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Lynne,
    Work with an experienced real estate attorney, who is also experienced in private lending contracts, terms and conditions.  Money spent now will save huge headaches later.

    My 2 cents,
    Mike

  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940 · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 319 votes
    2y

    You can definitely do this via a title company to record a mortgage on title 

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    You don’t borrow what could be a life-changing amount of money from a friend and have them obtain their docs through a title company, @Lynne Castillo. Title companies have lawyers, but they are not your friend’s lawyer.  Nor will a title company provide a complete loan package.

    Your friend needs a lending attorney to prepare a set of loan documents. Here are a few that I know can help:

    Wright Finlay&Zac Michelle Rodriguez can help your friend.

    Geraci Law Firm Melissa Martorella runs the lending docs team and can help your friend.

    Doss Law Your friend can ask for Chris Donovan.

    For what it’s worth, notes do not get notarized. Depending on the interest rate and points, this might require a broker. The attorney will advise. Don’t try to do this on your own, Lynn. And, be careful of the advice you get here.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.