Loan types and how they fit into investing

Loan types and how they fit into investing

Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 5 votes

I am new to the rental game, kinda. I rented to my parents for 15+ years and when they past I rehabbed the house and sold it for $120k profit. It worked well because it was a rental they were renting for someone else, when the land lor decided to sell I didn't want them to move so I bought it. They paid $100 over mortgage but saved $400 month over the previous rent. With my limited experience explained, here's the situation.

I have ear marked a good amount to start real estate investing. I have a very limited area I want to buy in because I require a school district score of 7-8 through all years. in North West Indiana that covers about 4-5 areas. This is how my parents rented for decades when we lost our first house after my father became sick, giving us an education beyond our house buying ability.

The houses in these areas always multiple offers and the financing I have set up requires a seller concession of 2%. This is very limiting when buyer get multiple offers.

I have the funds to buy with cash, but I am not sure how a DSCR or Cash out refi would work, and if it would limit my future funding to the point of being overly restrictive. Example with conventional I have 20% down, if the refi requires 30% to stay in then the extra 10% is limiting.

Rents in the areas I am looking come in on average $2000 mo. for a place costing $250k. This is not great compared to areas like Gary Indiana where rent is $1500 on a place costing $100k but the social advantage makes me feel better as less investors are willing take lower profits (less land lord competition) - and I know the returns will come in equity in the areas I want to invest.

So the core questions - 

1. would DSCR work well for me?

2. is it different then a Cash out refi?

3. Is there a better option that I don't even see currently?

4, advice and general suggestions?

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Graham, NC · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 4 votes
2y
Quote from @Billy Houston:

I am new to the rental game, kinda. I rented to my parents for 15+ years and when they past I rehabbed the house and sold it for $120k profit. It worked well because it was a rental they were renting for someone else, when the land lor decided to sell I didn't want them to move so I bought it. They paid $100 over mortgage but saved $400 month over the previous rent. With my limited experience explained, here's the situation.

I have ear marked a good amount to start real estate investing. I have a very limited area I want to buy in because I require a school district score of 7-8 through all years. in North West Indiana that covers about 4-5 areas. This is how my parents rented for decades when we lost our first house after my father became sick, giving us an education beyond our house buying ability.

The houses in these areas always multiple offers and the financing I have set up requires a seller concession of 2%. This is very limiting when buyer get multiple offers.

I have the funds to buy with cash, but I am not sure how a DSCR or Cash out refi would work, and if it would limit my future funding to the point of being overly restrictive. Example with conventional I have 20% down, if the refi requires 30% to stay in then the extra 10% is limiting.

Rents in the areas I am looking come in on average $2000 mo. for a place costing $250k. This is not great compared to areas like Gary Indiana where rent is $1500 on a place costing $100k but the social advantage makes me feel better as less investors are willing take lower profits (less land lord competition) - and I know the returns will come in equity in the areas I want to invest.

So the core questions - 

1. would DSCR work well for me?

2. is it different then a Cash out refi?

3. Is there a better option that I don't even see currently?

4, advice and general suggestions?


I just finished up with a DSCR loan. It was a good option for me as I made the mistake of having too many primary mortgages that made my DTI look really bad as I didn't have long term(2+ years) of rental income on my tax returns. So anyway I had made a a couple private money deals and ended up with a house I owed absolutely nothing on and wanted to pull the equity from it. I only had renters in the home for 2 months but that was all I needed to qualify for the DSCR....2 months of on time rent! They paid 70% LTV and I was still left with 43k in equity in the home and 117k in my pocket after closing costs. Not a bad deal.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John O'LearyPro Member
    Lender · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2021 · 737 posts · 412 votes
    2y

    Hi Billy,

    It really depends on your specific strategy. For instance, you mentioned having some experience with rehabs, having fixed up and sold your parents' property. Are you considering buying distressed homes to rehab and then refinance them?

    One option could be to purchase a distressed property with a bridge loan, complete the rehab, and then refinance either through a rate and term refinance or a cash-out refinance into a DSCR loan. A DSCR loan, which stands for Debt Service Coverage Ratio loan, is a long-term loan that uses rental income to qualify instead of DTI (Debt-to-Income ratio). These are popular programs among investors because they do not report to credit agencies, use DTI to qualify, and do not require tax returns or income verification.

    You can use a DSCR loan to purchase or cash-out refinance, a strategy commonly referred to as BRRRR (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat). It all depends on your goals, the number of properties you want to acquire, and how you can build an efficient process that maximizes your working capital to achieve those goals.

  • Lender · Nashville, TN · Member since 2024 · 700 posts · 284 votes
    2y

    DSCR Would be your best bet, we can structure these loans a few different ways to meet your needs. Would love to connect

  • Investor · Cleveland · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    Hi! You can definitely use a DSCR product for purchase or refinance.

    I personally like the value add opportunity. So, a fix and flip into a DSCR refi.

    It's a great way to scale and not tie up all of your cash. 

    Happy to jump on a call to discuss. If there is something I can't help you with, I can refer you out. 

  • Lender · Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 248 posts · 98 votes
    2y

    @Billy Houston You have a number of options. 

    1. If timing is critical and being able to pay cash will "win" you more offers, then you could always do a delayed finance purchase where you buy in cash and refinance into a LT DSCR rate. This works so that you close with cash and as long as you do the refi within 6 months and are not seeking any additional cash out, you can do this. Essentially this is like a rate and term refinance,where you do not get any cash back you just go into a LT DSCR loan.

    2. You can do a DSCR with up to 85% LTV as long as your credit score is over 720 and your DSCR ratio is above 1.2. If it's below that you'd be limited to 80%

    3. You can look to seller financing or other creative means if that is an option with the seller.

    Either way, I would say be careful if you do purchases below 100K that result in a loan below 100K, Options are severely limited and there is often an "interest rate penalty" if the loan is at this level and it is EXTREMELY challenging when the loan if below 75K. Reach out if you want to talk more. Happy to help in any way.

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    2y

    @Billy Houston- thanks 1) DSCR might work very well for you ...if you can qualify for a standard conventional 85% ltv loan - this would provide better loan terms 2) yes - DSCR is very different than a cash out refinance 3) consider getting fully pre approved for a standard conventional loan at a 85% ltv ..this is crucial to do if you are looking to buy in a competitive market - thanks and all the best

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    Thank you to everyone who responded, I'll be reaching out to shop rates and see what options are available based off my personal situation.

    What does the DSCR rates look like in comparison to conventional rates, as higher prices and rates will impact margins. Rates impact the margin available in this market, so a $250k home would only see 200-300 month profit without allocating for repairs or vacancy. Would this be considered to tight for DSCR?

  • Derek BrickleyBusiness Member
    Lender · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2021 · 664 posts · 226 votes
    2y

    Hey Billy,

    I know there have been a lot of responses, but I haven't read them all haha. If you have funds to buy cash, that would let you negotiate more and get a lower price. You could then use a DSCR loan as a form of delayed financing and pull up to 80% back out (depending). This could be a rinse and repeat method for you if that is what you are looking for.

    Otherwise, a DSCR purchase is always possible. Note that DSCR generally has a minimum loan amount depending on situation and if you qualify for conventional loans, there would be community lending incentives (even as an investment property) for some of those areas in Indiana.

    Gold Star Mortgage Financial Group548 Reviews
  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    2y

    @Billy Houston DSCR rates are higher than conv rates plus the loan fees ( aka points) are much higher for dscr than conv ...when you call around to get quotes - ask for both . If you are able to qualify for a conv loan - go that route

  • Investor · Graham, NC · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Billy Houston:

    I am new to the rental game, kinda. I rented to my parents for 15+ years and when they past I rehabbed the house and sold it for $120k profit. It worked well because it was a rental they were renting for someone else, when the land lor decided to sell I didn't want them to move so I bought it. They paid $100 over mortgage but saved $400 month over the previous rent. With my limited experience explained, here's the situation.

    I have ear marked a good amount to start real estate investing. I have a very limited area I want to buy in because I require a school district score of 7-8 through all years. in North West Indiana that covers about 4-5 areas. This is how my parents rented for decades when we lost our first house after my father became sick, giving us an education beyond our house buying ability.

    The houses in these areas always multiple offers and the financing I have set up requires a seller concession of 2%. This is very limiting when buyer get multiple offers.

    I have the funds to buy with cash, but I am not sure how a DSCR or Cash out refi would work, and if it would limit my future funding to the point of being overly restrictive. Example with conventional I have 20% down, if the refi requires 30% to stay in then the extra 10% is limiting.

    Rents in the areas I am looking come in on average $2000 mo. for a place costing $250k. This is not great compared to areas like Gary Indiana where rent is $1500 on a place costing $100k but the social advantage makes me feel better as less investors are willing take lower profits (less land lord competition) - and I know the returns will come in equity in the areas I want to invest.

    So the core questions - 

    1. would DSCR work well for me?

    2. is it different then a Cash out refi?

    3. Is there a better option that I don't even see currently?

    4, advice and general suggestions?


    I just finished up with a DSCR loan. It was a good option for me as I made the mistake of having too many primary mortgages that made my DTI look really bad as I didn't have long term(2+ years) of rental income on my tax returns. So anyway I had made a a couple private money deals and ended up with a house I owed absolutely nothing on and wanted to pull the equity from it. I only had renters in the home for 2 months but that was all I needed to qualify for the DSCR....2 months of on time rent! They paid 70% LTV and I was still left with 43k in equity in the home and 117k in my pocket after closing costs. Not a bad deal.

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Billy Houston:

    Thank you to everyone who responded, I'll be reaching out to shop rates and see what options are available based off my personal situation.

    What does the DSCR rates look like in comparison to conventional rates, as higher prices and rates will impact margins. Rates impact the margin available in this market, so a $250k home would only see 200-300 month profit without allocating for repairs or vacancy. Would this be considered to tight for DSCR?


    The main difference is the PPP term on a DSCR loan. Conventional loans do not have one. Sometimes DSCR rates are more favorable than conventional loans due to the LLPAs on conventional loans.

    Typically you will see rates anywhere from 6.5-10% on a DSCR loan.

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.