I'm just getting started and am planning on buying a MF in the near future. I just met a potential money partner who own a 4br she lives at. She put her ex on the title and the loan is in his name. She has substantial equity and wants to invest with me but her ex (common law marriage) wants 250k to take his name off. She's thinking of giving it to him out of desperation but doesn't want to since all the mortgage was paid out of her pocket. She's thinking of trying to assume the loan but I told her I'd try to see if there is a better way to move forward. Any advice? Thanks!
No painless way. Since you said "assume the loan" I am assuming this is a Gov mortgage ie FHA, VA, or USDA? Assuming the loan would likely be best from a cost/fees (and likely interest rate perspective).
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y
She knows he probably owns at least half the property too right? Taking him off the mortgage doesn’t take away his equity. So, if he owns at least half the equity. Is there anything left if you give him half the equity and can only borrow 75% of the value?
Maybe just piss him off so he forces a sale if the property.
I'm just getting started and am planning on buying a MF in the near future. I just met a potential money partner who own a 4br she lives at. She put her ex on the title and the loan is in his name. She has substantial equity and wants to invest with me but her ex (common law marriage) wants 250k to take his name off. She's thinking of giving it to him out of desperation but doesn't want to since all the mortgage was paid out of her pocket. She's thinking of trying to assume the loan but I told her I'd try to see if there is a better way to move forward. Any advice? Thanks!
If loan is in his name he needs to be on title. best to get it paid off and not assume it. why not "buy it" / refinance it to get him off the loan?
If she was to buy it then he'd get even more money, although I guess maybe her cost would be far lower to finance with low down payment. Even at a 6% interest. Is that what you're suggesting?
I'm just getting started and am planning on buying a MF in the near future. I just met a potential money partner who own a 4br she lives at. She put her ex on the title and the loan is in his name. She has substantial equity and wants to invest with me but her ex (common law marriage) wants 250k to take his name off. She's thinking of giving it to him out of desperation but doesn't want to since all the mortgage was paid out of her pocket. She's thinking of trying to assume the loan but I told her I'd try to see if there is a better way to move forward. Any advice? Thanks!
You can solve this by a cash app refinance if you’d like to readjust title, this is the way you would take care of it. She can still own the home, but also tap in equity if there needs to be a partnership split.
She is already in the process of assuming the loan at that rate however she will have to pay out of pocket for him to walk away. I need to run the numbers to see which option would be cheaper (cash out refi or pay cash) for the money needed to get him off the deed.
I'm just getting started and am planning on buying a MF in the near future. I just met a potential money partner who own a 4br she lives at. She put her ex on the title and the loan is in his name. She has substantial equity and wants to invest with me but her ex (common law marriage) wants 250k to take his name off. She's thinking of giving it to him out of desperation but doesn't want to since all the mortgage was paid out of her pocket. She's thinking of trying to assume the loan but I told her I'd try to see if there is a better way to move forward. Any advice? Thanks!
For clarity, they both own it. He has rights. Depending on the state and depending on how they vested the property, and depending on his cooperation, it could be a very big deal. Knock yourself out on this one. ;-)
He has just agreed to take his name off the deed and she's just waiting on the paperwork to assume the loan. Due to his behavior in the past, she's not taking his word that he'll do his part and is insisting he take his name off the deed, first. That will take away any ownership of the property and then she can settle with him after. Lucky for him, she has integrity and is planning on still giving him a substantial sum after his name is off the deed, since at that point he'd be standing on air.
He has just agreed to take his name off the deed and she's just waiting on the paperwork to assume the loan. Due to his behavior in the past, she's not taking his word that he'll do his part and is insisting he take his name off the deed, first. That will take away any ownership of the property and then she can settle with him after. Lucky for him, she has integrity and is planning on still giving him a substantial sum after his name is off the deed, since at that point he'd be standing on air.
Your comment: "the loan is in his name". The lender isn't going to release him from the loan until the loan is paid off or unless she qualifies for the assumption. She has to have strong credit and income and qualify for this to work. It will take longer than you might think and it may be denied.
If he signs away his interest in the property without the loan being paid off or being properly assumed, the lender can call the loan due. Assumption is very different than doing a Subject To. Either way, since the property is used as a guarantee for the loan, the loan attaches to the property. If she is unsuccessful assuming the loan and getting him released and then he goes off of the property anyway, they then can call the loan due and take the property to foreclosure sale.
Thanks for your insights, Ken! She has 807 credit, income, and no debt so I don't foresee an issue with the assumption but who knows? She's planning to wait until she's pre approved for the assumption before taking his name off the loan. Would you recommend doing it any differently? I appreciate your time.