How is Kiavi still in business?

How is Kiavi still in business?

Erik EstradaBusiness Member
Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I have been seeing a lot of lopsided refinances from Kiavi lately. Some of them going into foreclosure due to low property appraisals and sales plummeting in the markets their loans are in.. 

I am curious to know, despite these rough deals, how are they still in business and still lending so aggressively? 

LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
0Reply
212 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
10mo
Quote from @Erik Estrada:
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

What is a lot? They are doing $700M+ a month... Most people only see refinances on properties in trouble and have matured.


 Makes sense in this market. It’s just an interesting trend to see that many of these troubled properties  have a loan from Kiavi. It could just be a pattern, but I am hearing from other colleagues as well a similar pattern. 


we buy distressed debt and Kiavi compared to the others looks like the gold standard. I cannot name names but there are others in a lot worse shape than Kiavi is right now. We just got to $100M+ tapes from two larger lenders in the RTL/DSCR space and they are laying off people left and right as we received several calls from people looking for employment.

One lender capped their lending in california to no more than $1M - which in california and non-rural is basically there way of saying we are not doing business here anymore

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jason WrayPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    Erik,

    I am not sure and would never talk in a bad way about any business unless I used them but in the last 8 months I have had several customers reach out to fix what they could not accomplish on really basic overlay issues.

    I have been seeing a lot of these other AI type LOS type companies drop the ball during the electronic Approve U style 1003/1008 deals that lack typical DU/LP findings.

    Back in the day we would target this type of company data to reach out and either help on the 6-12 month refinance or the aged leads.  

    • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
      OP
      Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Jason Wray:

      Erik,

      I am not sure and would never talk in a bad way about any business unless I used them but in the last 8 months I have had several customers reach out to fix what they could not accomplish on really basic overlay issues.

      I have been seeing a lot of these other AI type LOS type companies drop the ball during the electronic Approve U style 1003/1008 deals that lack typical DU/LP findings.

      Back in the day we would target this type of company data to reach out and either help on the 6-12 month refinance or the aged leads.  


       I have been refinancing several of their loans these last 12 months, and used to broker deals to them until they started circumventing. This wasn’t a hate post by any means, but just curious to know how in the hell are they still doing some very aggressive loans even though, values have been coming in lower these last 12 months. 

      LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Erik Estrada:
      Quote from @Jason Wray:

      Erik,

      I am not sure and would never talk in a bad way about any business unless I used them but in the last 8 months I have had several customers reach out to fix what they could not accomplish on really basic overlay issues.

      I have been seeing a lot of these other AI type LOS type companies drop the ball during the electronic Approve U style 1003/1008 deals that lack typical DU/LP findings.

      Back in the day we would target this type of company data to reach out and either help on the 6-12 month refinance or the aged leads.  


       I have been refinancing several of their loans these last 12 months, and used to broker deals to them until they started circumventing. This wasn’t a hate post by any means, but just curious to know how in the hell are they still doing some very aggressive loans even though, values have been coming in lower these last 12 months. 


      they have a lot of money and have to get it out the door.
    • Jason WrayPro Member
      Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Erik Estrada:
      Quote from @Jason Wray:

      Erik,

      I am not sure and would never talk in a bad way about any business unless I used them but in the last 8 months I have had several customers reach out to fix what they could not accomplish on really basic overlay issues.

      I have been seeing a lot of these other AI type LOS type companies drop the ball during the electronic Approve U style 1003/1008 deals that lack typical DU/LP findings.

      Back in the day we would target this type of company data to reach out and either help on the 6-12 month refinance or the aged leads.  


       I have been refinancing several of their loans these last 12 months, and used to broker deals to them until they started circumventing. This wasn’t a hate post by any means, but just curious to know how in the hell are they still doing some very aggressive loans even though, values have been coming in lower these last 12 months. 


       One thing I think you probably already know that most of these shops or call centers do is put their loan processors or Lo's on a very low comp plan.  It allows them to have a very lean branch bucket and overall origination fee's.  Then they can broker or Correspondent their loans to mini or smaller investors.

      Lower loan sizes under $100K, overall less conditonal call outs because their warehouse line is through mulitple sources or not through a bigger funding partner like Mass Mutual or loss payee that micro manages their overlays.

      Good news is a lot of the bigger Non/QM investors are expanding their niche programs and options.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10mo

    What is a lot? They are doing $700M+ a month... Most people only see refinances on properties in trouble and have matured.

    7e investments53 Reviews
    • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
      OP
      Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:

      What is a lot? They are doing $700M+ a month... Most people only see refinances on properties in trouble and have matured.


       Makes sense in this market. It’s just an interesting trend to see that many of these troubled properties  have a loan from Kiavi. It could just be a pattern, but I am hearing from other colleagues as well a similar pattern. 

      LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Erik Estrada:
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:

      What is a lot? They are doing $700M+ a month... Most people only see refinances on properties in trouble and have matured.


       Makes sense in this market. It’s just an interesting trend to see that many of these troubled properties  have a loan from Kiavi. It could just be a pattern, but I am hearing from other colleagues as well a similar pattern. 


      we buy distressed debt and Kiavi compared to the others looks like the gold standard. I cannot name names but there are others in a lot worse shape than Kiavi is right now. We just got to $100M+ tapes from two larger lenders in the RTL/DSCR space and they are laying off people left and right as we received several calls from people looking for employment.

      One lender capped their lending in california to no more than $1M - which in california and non-rural is basically there way of saying we are not doing business here anymore

      7e investments53 Reviews
  • Lender · CA · Member since 2018 · 638 posts · 393 votes
    10mo

    My thoughts on Kiavi:

    - I think they came to the market fairly aggressively. They are a younger company relative to other mortgage lending institutions and have been very active in the fix and flip and DSCR space. My guess is that a lot of it had to do with growing market share.

    - They likely do not balance sheet their loans but rather sell them to hedge funds or insurance companies.  This means they can only offer aggressive terms for so long before the "shareholders/stakeholders" start to have a say in the terms and you will usually see lenders like this start to taper off (tighter UW guidelines, cutting exposure to any single market or flipper, leverage reductions, etc.).  It all comes down to back-end funding appetite for the product.

    - My guess is they have enough funding sources and track record to be competitive in the marketplace, but ultimately supply and demand will dictate what they can offer.  

    - I have started to see a lot of my flipping clients look for funding elsewhere because Kiavi was concerned with investor concentration risk or market risk, so pretty normal growing pains, and a predictable pattern in the space from my perspective.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.