HELOC on rental property

WantProfessionalsLender
Classifieds

HELOC on rental property

Jim BouchardPro Member
Investor · West Gardiner · Member since 2023 · 20 posts · 5 votes

I've got a property that's producing very good cash flow and has a lot of equity. I'd like to get a HELOC to help me move on other deals. I don't want to be inundated with pitches or have my phone text bombed! That's what happened the last time I filled out the lender search form.

Does anyone have recommendations for reliable sources for HELOCs on this type of property? Your personal experience would be extremely appreciated. 

If you are a lender responding, please use this thread to respond. 

Thanks!

1Reply
176 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike GrudzienPro Member
Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1mo

Check with your local credit union.  

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Derek BrickleyBusiness Member
    Lender · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2021 · 664 posts · 226 votes
    1mo

    Hey Jim!

    Depending on the property could be a few options out there.  Typically most investors do the full-doc options meaning tax returns, paystubs, etc since it's way better terms but you can see some others if needed.  Feel free to reach out though if it would help to look at some of those.

    Gold Star Mortgage Financial Group548 Reviews
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo

    Check with your local credit union.  

  • Lender · Charleston, SC · Member since 2025 · 35 posts · 4 votes
    1mo

    What state is the property located in?

  • Stacy RaskinBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 501 votes
    1mo

    HELOC options are debt to income (DTI) loans so you will need a NMLS licensed mortgage professional and those licenses are done state by state. Researching licensed professionals in that state along with if you think a debt to income loan will work for you will help your search.

  • Lender · usa · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    1mo

    Hi Jim,

    I work with a couple of lenders that do HELOCs on investment/rental properties (including cash-flowing ones with equity).

    Happy to share a couple of options if you’d like, without blowing up your phone. Just reply here or send a quick message with the basic property details (value, current mortgage balance, and rough credit range) and I can let you know what’s realistic.

    No spam, no phone calls unless you want them.

    Thanks,

    Jason Talley 

    8439411373

  • Vijay FriedmanBusiness Member
    Miami, FL · Member since 2026 · 766 posts · 122 votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Jim Bouchard:

    I've got a property that's producing very good cash flow and has a lot of equity. I'd like to get a HELOC to help me move on other deals. I don't want to be inundated with pitches or have my phone text bombed! That's what happened the last time I filled out the lender search form.

    Does anyone have recommendations for reliable sources for HELOCs on this type of property? Your personal experience would be extremely appreciated. 

    If you are a lender responding, please use this thread to respond. 

    Thanks!

    @Jim Bouchard
    Definitely makes sense to look at a HELOC/second-lien option first if your existing mortgage has good terms. I'd compare that against a cash-out refi based on the amount of equity you actually need to access, since replacing a good first mortgage just to pull cash may not be worth it.

    DreamPoint Capital
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Jim Bouchard:

    I've got a property that's producing very good cash flow and has a lot of equity. I'd like to get a HELOC to help me move on other deals. I don't want to be inundated with pitches or have my phone text bombed! That's what happened the last time I filled out the lender search form.

    Does anyone have recommendations for reliable sources for HELOCs on this type of property? Your personal experience would be extremely appreciated. 

    If you are a lender responding, please use this thread to respond. 

    Thanks!


     Happy to connect

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2026 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    1mo

    Jim, since your goal is to access equity to help fund additional acquisitions, I'd compare the options rather than automatically choosing a HELOC. If your existing first mortgage has attractive terms, preserving it may be very important. On the other hand, if HELOC options on the rental are restrictive, a cash-out investment-property or DSCR structure may be worth comparing because the property's cash flow can play a larger role in qualification. I'd look at how much equity each option actually gives you access to, the combined monthly carrying cost, and how it affects your ability to qualify for the next acquisition. Happy to help you work through the numbers here without turning it into a sales pitch.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.