So close to 25%...how do I get the last 5-10K?

So close to 25%...how do I get the last 5-10K?

Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hey Y'all. 

I've been working hard to find the right investment property, and I think I have found the one at this point. It's not on the MLS - older gentleman is selling off his units. The cash flow is great. He is asking for $205,000 as the sale price. I need to hit 25% for the downpayment to be able to qualify for a conventional loan. This is right around 51K. I'm about 5-10K away from having this, depending on what the closing costs are. My question is - how do I get the remaining 5-10K? I have enough to cover that in a retirement account, but I would prefer to keep that as a safe haven / "reserves" account of sorts.

I'm afraid of not having the money in time to "seal the deal", as they say. I have thought of a few options, but they are drying up:

1) Close friend. He's all tied up in equity and mortgages though. So no go. 
2) Family: Eh, didn't work out, when I asked. They are anti-real estate. 
3) I own my car out right. It's valued about 2x the loan I'd want. So perhaps pull a bit of credit on that? 
4) Cash advance on a credit card. Holy expensive, no? 
5) Hard money lender. Would anyone even take on such a small loan? 

Thanks in advance for your advice and thoughts. :) 

0Reply
156 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Manchester, NH · Member since 2014 · 630 posts · 420 votes
10y

If he's trying to minimize his capital gains tax, why not trying to negotiate a seller-financed deal @Filipe Pereira?  You could get a lower downpayment, but pay a higher monthly rate so as to make up for it.  

See this reply in the discussion

71 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
    10y

    If you have it in your 401k there is no better retirement investment than this transaction. Just take it out a loan, this amount is so small in the scheme of things and a 401k loan is so easy to do I would not be wasting any time letting this deal get away from you over this and all these mechanics for such a small amount.

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    thanks...but I do not have a 401K at this time.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
    10y

    What is your 'retirement account'?

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    It is a Roth IRA that I started ~5 years ago when I was finishing up high school.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
    10y

    You can do a 60 day loan as a 'roll over' loan, just withdraw what you want and put it back in another roth IRA within 60 days and the loan is considered a roll over. You would also only be taxed on the amount not paid back so if you took out 10K and replaced it with 7K you'ld only be looking at the 3k

    If this is your first house and you will live in it you can withdraw up to $10k with no penalty.

    If its me I take the money out even if it ends up with a 10% penalty.

    You can also withdraw any contributions to the IRA without penalty, so if you put 10K into it you can take 10K out with no penalties.

    I'll be honest with you if you're getting into real estate as an investment, screw the Roth IRA retirement funds, do the math, every dollar invested in real estate has the potential to out pace any retirement account.

    CPAs and financial planners told me over the years to save for retirement, open IRAs etc... I never saw the benefit to siphon money from a better investment toward retirement (real estate) to funnel it toward a weaker investment for retirement (IRA), I have zero retirement accounts and I'm about to retire 15 years early.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
    10y

    You can do a 60 day loan as a 'roll over' loan, just withdraw what you want and put it back in another roth IRA within 60 days and the loan is considered a roll over. You would also only be taxed on the amount not paid back so if you took out 10K and replaced it with 7K you'ld only be looking at the 3k

    If this is your first house and you will live in it you can withdraw up to $10k with no penalty.

    You can also withdraw any contributions to the IRA without penalty, so if you put 10K into it you can take 10K out with no penalties.

    If its me I take the money out even if it ends up with a 10% penalty in order to get your real estate bought. I'll be honest with you if you're getting into real estate as an investment, screw the Roth IRA retirement funds, do the math, every dollar invested in real estate has the potential to out pace any retirement account.

    CPAs and financial planners told me over the years to save for retirement, open IRAs etc... I never saw the benefit to siphon money from a better investment toward retirement (real estate) to funnel it toward a weaker investment for retirement (IRA), I have zero retirement accounts and I'm about to retire 15 years early.

  • Developer · Point Pleasant Beach, NJ · Member since 2015 · 303 posts · 216 votes
    10y

    @Filipe Pereira, I am assuming this is a great deal and that's the only reason I recommend this, but somethings your credit card can be cheaper than hard money financing. Pay off your credit card completely, then call your CC company the next day and ask for a reduction in rate. As long as you never missed a payment, they almost always reduce it and you might be able to get them as low as 11% APR. Then you can get an advance at a decent rate, and pay it down as money comes in from the rental. You can also try to increase the value of the property as soon as you purchase it and try to do a cashout refi. Use the extra money to pay off CC. Best of luck, and looking forward to hearing how it goes. Chris

  • Rental Property Investor · Savage, MN · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 61 votes
    10y

    This thread has a ton of info! Thanks for sharing all! Following!

  • Lender · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 92 votes
    10y

    80%+ LTV will hurt your rate a touch but possible with solid credit. Depending on your other debt/collateral we could help you with a line of credit (unsecured or secured). We get 100 calls a week for 0% down deals so it's refreshing to see someone realistic with a plan and goals!

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Thank you @Jason Hirko for chiming in! Thanks for reaffirming some stuff I read on BP last night, you sound like a credible source in the area! Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible for me to save much more than I already am! 

    Thank you @Mike F. I agree my money is probably better spent in REI now, but at a ripe 17 years old, I didn't know half of what I know about now. 5 years later and a bit wiser, I have begun to change my investment strategy.

    It's a great deal @Christopher Lombardi! I have a decent available credit on my Cards, but I cannot take out that same amount on a cad advance unfortunately. I do have great credit, and always pay in full ahead of time, but I don't think there is enough on the plate for me to use. Plus, I'd be worried about what that would do to my credit score. This is a fully rented out turn key investment...no value add :/ (That's the only downside of the whole deal, I suppose). 

    @Timothy Maloney I have a credit score in the high 700s, and no debt to my name. Shoot me a PM if you'd like. 

  • Anthony SuscoPro Member
    Lender · Turnersville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 68 votes
    10y

    Filipe,

    My name is Anthony Susco, the managing partner for Ashmore Partners Private Real Estate Lending.

    I was reading through your forum thread and believe my company could help you with your funding needs.

    We have funded many investors rental properties with "bridge loans" that allow them to season the loan until refinancing with a bank. If you are purchasing this property for under market value as you have indicated, that could be a great option for you.

    We would lend to you at 75% of the value of the property and up to 90% of the purchase price. 

    Send me a message if interested and I'd be happy to setup a call with you to provide more details.

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I think I am going to go with a personal loan at a local credit union. I should be able to get what I need for 2-4% interest. Not bad. 
    https://www.americaneagle.org/Rates/Personal-Unsecured-Rates.aspx

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    If your scraping by for that last few grand I question if you should just wait since you seem like you might be spreading yourself with cash reserves.
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    If you can get a loan on your car, that would probably be the best way to go given the options you outlined (unless you have any other friends that might have a little money). You could also look at crowdfunding sites like Prosper and what not. Usually they don't work for real estate, but you only need $5-10,000, which isn't much and so those sites might provide the required capital. Or you could ask the seller to lend back a little. 

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I agree @Lane Kawaoka?

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Networking events for investors.  There is private money everywhere.

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I personally would go back to a family member if I knew someone could help me. Shouldn't matter that they're anti real-estate. Don't sell them on the deal, show them you have an opportunity to help them earn a better return on their savings and help out a dear family member in the process. Make it about them and helping you, not about real estate and your deal. Put together a short presentation to show them how and when you will pay them back each month with interest. Address their objections and concerns. If you're a reliable person, I'd imagine grandma, uncle or big brother would be willing to do it.  

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 334 posts · 215 votes
    10y
    Hi Filipe, You mention you need 5-10k to close the deal - does that account for some funds set aside for reserves? What are your plans after you secure the property? If you want to flip it will you have enough cash for your carrying costs or any unexpected repairs? If not, you may need closer to 15-20k.
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 110 votes
    10y

    Ask him for the seller carry back.  Try to amortize it over 5 years or so to keep monthly payment low but balloon in 1 year.  Most sellers would be comfortable carrying for a short period like a year.

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @John Casmon, I would love to, but I can't. My parents don't get involved with my finances. They refuse to loan me money, although I am very fiscally responsible and mature for my age (23). My grandparents aren't around, and my aunts/uncles are broke with children and mortgages. LOL. 

    @Eric Delcol I have enough in contributions in my retirement account to serve as my reserves. I have 6 months worth of PITI. (principal, interest, taxes, insurance). The idea is to buy and hold - high cash flowing property that I can pull equity from in the future possibly, and/or while saving money for the next purchase. Whatever that may be.

    I have considered seller financing, but not a portion (i.e. carry back). I will look into this further @Joshua Springer. Thanks for the heads up. 

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Filipe Pereira:

    I agree @Lane Kawaoka?

    Not really, if you can get a personal loan, that's a fine way to go. I haven't gotten a car loan any time recently, but I saw the rates were pretty low (that being said, they were only willing to finance purchases, not cars one already had). It really just comes down to what options you have available and what rates you can get on those options.

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Filipe Pereira

    Sell you toys if its that worth it.

    Use a Heloc.

    Get a 0% introductory credit card.

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Lane Kawaoka 

    Not worth selling the "toy". ;) 

    Don't currently own a home to use a HELOC.

    Most cards won't allow cash advances as high as their credit limits, so it's highly unlikely I will get the money I need that way. 

    A personal loan at 1.99% is the route I will likely go. That's basically free money. 

  • Rental Property Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 271 posts · 92 votes
    10y

    Awesome thread.

    @Filipe Pereira want to learn how did everything work out for you on the deal.

  • Stephanie MedellinBusiness Member
    Mortgage Broker · CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 644 votes
    10y

    Just seeing this thread now.  I sure hope the down payment wasn't borrowed on a personal loan right before applying for a mortgage!

    Stephanie Medellin, Loan Factory58 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.