Cash-out Refinance

Cash-out Refinance

Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 8 votes

So, there's this property.... 

We are new to REI and have been searching several months for our first rental. We have put offers on two properties to no avail. Now, we have our eyes on a third. There are bowing basement walls and a wet basement. I'm a structural engineer and have seen way worse, so this doesn't scare us off since I know it is repairable. Unfortunately, it does scare off banks! I have little hope that we can get financing. So, we'd like to do a cash offer. Our plan is to pay cash for the purchase, pay cash for the fixes and then do a cash-out refinance.

Questions:

1) How long do we have to wait to do a cash-out refi?

2) What sort of loan-to-value ratio can we get for a cash-out refi?  Someone told me that we could only get a loan of 65% of the total purchase price plus repair cost.  That baffles me.  Why wouldn't the bank just look at the property's current value instead of what we paid to buy and fix it?

3) Are there any other creative purchase solutions that we should consider?

Thanks for any guidance you can give!

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Herndon, VA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 74 votes
10y

@Anna Milligan I did the same for one of the rental property. Paid cash, rehabbed and now waiting for seasoning period (6 months to a year varies with lender) to complete before I do cash out. Problem with delayed financing is it is based of your purchase price however seasoning cash out will be based on your FMV. So you may be able to get your entire cash investment back with cash out but not with delayed financing. This is how I understand. I still have few months before I reach out to my lender with my refinance. I would let you know how it goes. btw @Jerry Padilla is a great resource and lender to clarify all that.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buy and Hold Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2013 · 450 posts · 270 votes
    10y

    @Anna Milligan

    It all depends on the bank as far as how long they want you to wait to "season" the loan or what LTV they will loan. I have a bank I use in KY (even though I live in TN) that will do an 85% LTV cash out refi no seasoning. They will just do a new appraisal and lend based on that. I've done three other loans with them (purchase loans, not refis). I'm sure you could find one in Ohio that will do portfolio loans with better terms than the ones you mentioned.

    You might also want to look at hard money lenders. They will loan based on ARV and don't care about the condition since they know you'll be fixing it up. They will usually lend 65% of the ARV and you could supplement with your own cash if that isn't enough.

    Another option is to ask the seller to finance the purchase. Do you know if they have a loan? If so, maybe you could offer enough down payment to pay off their loan, then they could carry the rest until you either resell it or refi it. This will depend on their motivation level.

    Good luck!

  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    10y

    @Anna Milligan

    If you buy the home all cash, you can do a delayed financing loan. This is offered through Fannie Mae and you would have to refinance within 6 months of the purchase date.

    On an SFR you can get back 70% LTV and units you can get back 65% LTV based on new appraised value.

    It's pretty straight forward and just google delayed financing with Fannie Mae and you will get a link to their website. Read the requirements or work with a loan officer or Broker who is well versed in this area.

    I hope this helps and have a great day.

  • Lender · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2015 · 610 posts · 131 votes
    10y

    @Anna Milligan - Are you pulling cash out of another rental or out of your primary home?

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    @Nathan Click - We plan on pulling cash out of our rental. We will pay 'cash' for the transaction by using the HELOC on our primary home. We would like to pay the HELOC back by getting a mortgage on the rental property after we do the repairs.

  • Investor · Herndon, VA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 74 votes
    10y

    @Anna Milligan I did the same for one of the rental property. Paid cash, rehabbed and now waiting for seasoning period (6 months to a year varies with lender) to complete before I do cash out. Problem with delayed financing is it is based of your purchase price however seasoning cash out will be based on your FMV. So you may be able to get your entire cash investment back with cash out but not with delayed financing. This is how I understand. I still have few months before I reach out to my lender with my refinance. I would let you know how it goes. btw @Jerry Padilla is a great resource and lender to clarify all that.

  • Lender · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2015 · 610 posts · 131 votes
    10y

    @Anna Milligan I may be able to help you.  Feel free to reach out to me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.