Aubrey, TX · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 12 votes
So friend for 20 years has flipped a couple homes recently and knows I'm interested in the same calls me up. Wants to know if I would be interested in being his hard money lender for about 100k for his 3rd project. I don't know where to start, are attorneys needed? Sounds expensive for a 2 month loan. Or is there a web page that would takes care of all that for you? Obviously would like to do it but want to be protected at the same time for the least amount of profit loss. Fire away and give me guidance BP'rs.
Lender · Frederick/ Falls Church DC, Maryland & Virginia · Member since 2014 · 794 posts · 612 votes
10y
This would be a private money loan. You are acting as the "bank". If he is a good friend I would get in touch with an attorney and make sure the proper paper work is drafted. If he is a really really good friend I would not do the deal :) You need to both be on the same page when it comes to terms, structure, scope of work, timelines, responsibilities, etc.
Are you doing this as a favor or a business venture?
Generally private money is going to be lower points (if any) and lower interest rates then hard money. The people that I know giving or receiving private money are anywhere from 4-8% right now.
Another option would be to lend the money for free but then take an equity position in the property. Perhaps a little of both? It really all depends on why you are doing this and what each party expects of each other.
Lender · Frederick/ Falls Church DC, Maryland & Virginia · Member since 2014 · 794 posts · 612 votes
10y
This would be a private money loan. You are acting as the "bank". If he is a good friend I would get in touch with an attorney and make sure the proper paper work is drafted. If he is a really really good friend I would not do the deal :) You need to both be on the same page when it comes to terms, structure, scope of work, timelines, responsibilities, etc.
Are you doing this as a favor or a business venture?
Generally private money is going to be lower points (if any) and lower interest rates then hard money. The people that I know giving or receiving private money are anywhere from 4-8% right now.
Another option would be to lend the money for free but then take an equity position in the property. Perhaps a little of both? It really all depends on why you are doing this and what each party expects of each other.
Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
10y
There are a few considerations: 1. potential loss of capitol 2. potential loss of a friend 3. no experience on your part
You have to know a lot more than what you posted. Not enough info to say do it or don't do it but as I noted above, there are more considerations than just friendship.
Real Estate Agent · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 23 votes
10y
The concern is that you've never done it before so by all means move with caution. As @Andrew Michael was saying, you would be acting as a private money lender. So, for this part seek a real estate attorney, have them draw up a note according to what you both agree upon. Then ask the attorney to make sure that you are being placed in first lien position. But, before you even agree to the transaction , make sure that it is a good deal to be a part of and look at the worst case-scenario. Too many of these transactions take place which often destroy friendships not to mention the deal. Best of luck my friend!
Aubrey, TX · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 12 votes
10y
I would put him in the good friend category, I would be doing this for profit more than helping a friend, so this would be of the business venture variety. Thank you for the 4-8% number Andrew as that gives me a starting point. Equity position has less guarantees as I'm not involved in the picking of the property, amount of rehab, cost, length of time, If it's a bad flip etc. if I'm understanding that correctly. John I see your a private lender, I really interested in what you think. Is there any info not given above that I could provide?
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
10y
There is another post on here where a guy loaned money to his friend, then the deal fell through and it turns out his friend took his $24k and paid some back taxes with it, so the trust is gone, the money is probably gone, and he is left high and dry.
Yes he is a friend, but make sure you get everything in writing now, while he is still a friend.
What happens if the flip, flops? If he makes no money, will he still pay you back in full?
Aubrey, TX · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 12 votes
10y
I agree Mindy, I have already stopped by an real estate attorneys office since posting this morning. They are getting back with me on the cost of their services needed. Does anyone have experience with the cost to do something like this? I also am concerned about "what if it flops". Thanks so much for all your post, and if you got anything else please mention it.
Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
10y
My attorney typically charges about $600 for paperwork and then sends it to the title company. My borrowers pay all the costs including legal and closing. Proceed with caution. Consider as well: 1. what is the property truly worth? Is he putting in anything or asking you to fund 100%? 2. does he have the abilily to repay? Good luck whatever your decision.