Title Company Hasn't Cleared Liens for My Refi. What do I do?

Title Company Hasn't Cleared Liens for My Refi. What do I do?

Investor · Califonia · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 7 votes

Hey BP,

Here is the background before I get to the main problems and why I am now feeling "uncomfortable."

I closed on a property in January of this year.  It was a cash deal and everything went smoothly.  I am now in the process of doing delayed financing on the property.  The appraisal is done and the bank has everything done that they need to do.  My mortgage broker called me yesterday and said that the title company (same one that I used for closing) sent back the title information with liens still on the property.  The previous owner had done a "quiet title" and the title company saved around 45k at closing to clear the title since they were insuring it.

So today I hear that the title company will send back new title information saying that the title is all clear now so that we can proceed with the closing of the mortgage.  This has already delayed my target closing date about a week, which was locked in with the interest rate.

My main concerns are as follows:

1.  This seems really sketchy.  Why are they going to say there were still liens then the next day say that there are none?

2.  Why didn't the title company do the work to clear all the liens on the title already since it has been about 2 months since closing.

3.  Should I still move forward with closing on my own "lien" knowing that the title might not be free and clear yet?

4.  I'm calling the title company tomorrow to try and see what is going on.  Is there anything specific I should be asking/saying to them (maybe to put some pressure on them, but also to ensure that everything will be alright)?

5.  Is the title company liable for any "damages" considering that pushing out the closing on the loan will require either the mortgage company or myself to incur some cost in extending the interest rate lock.  Its probably only 1-200 bucks but still.

6.  Is it odd that the seller isn't bugging the title company to get the title all clear so that they can release the remainder/leftover money that they held to them since they are still waiting on that money from the sale?

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Tom GimerBusiness Member
DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

@Tom Gimer  any thoughts on this..  I am thinking liens get cleared prior to his close.. not hang around and worked on after they close.

I guess we have some of the same keywords on our notification list... I was typing my response while you were typing yours.

The problems were already insured over in connection with OP's cash buy. If the title insurer via its agent will insure over them again, all that does it help OP get to the table for his refi. 

Gimer Law516 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 486 posts · 216 votes
    8y

    if you have title insurance then you have nothing to worry about. They cleared it to close so it must have been some processor's incompetence. 

    I had many issues like that and since I keep good records of lien releases, I would just email them a copy of the release and they are like : "Oops.. we should have seen it in public records but now that we have book and page number we are good to go"... 

  • Investor · Califonia · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Roman M.

    Thanks for the response.  My concern is that the title company said they haven’t done the work to clear the liens yet (at least not all of them).  It sounds like they are just “clearing” it to close and plan on clearing the other liens after the fact since they are slow moving.  There are definitely still active liens on the property.

    I also don’t have any documentation on lien releases since I haven’t created any liens yet on this property myself.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Tom Gimer  any thoughts on this..  I am thinking liens get cleared prior to his close.. not hang around and worked on after they close.

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    The title insurer who issued your owners policy is already on the hook for these issues so you may be right about the liens still being a problem.

    But this is a refi. The problems already exist... so they would only be a new problem for the latest lender, not you.

    I would of course stay on top of this but I wouldn't let it ruin my refinance.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Investor · Califonia · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Tom Gimer so if the title company sends out documentation saying that the title is free and clear when it isn’t and myself and the mortgage company are skeptical that the title hasn’t become clear in 2 days time is there any concern etc?  Or since they insured the title I shouldn’t really care if they haven’t finished up on their end and just move along and close on the refi?

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Tom Gimer  any thoughts on this..  I am thinking liens get cleared prior to his close.. not hang around and worked on after they close.

    I guess we have some of the same keywords on our notification list... I was typing my response while you were typing yours.

    The problems were already insured over in connection with OP's cash buy. If the title insurer via its agent will insure over them again, all that does it help OP get to the table for his refi. 

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Dana WhickerPro Member
    Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 557 posts · 374 votes
    8y
    A successful quiet title action clears title. crickets The statement about the title company saving money and holding/saving $45k is odd to say the least. let us know how it works out.
  • Investor · Califonia · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Dana Whicker I thought so as well.. over half of the purchase price.  I’ll let y’all know what happens.  Probably end up closing next week 

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jack Barkow:

    @Tom Gimer so if the title company sends out documentation saying that the title is free and clear when it isn’t and myself and the mortgage company are skeptical that the title hasn’t become clear in 2 days time is there any concern etc?  Or since they insured the title I shouldn’t really care if they haven’t finished up on their end and just move along and close on the refi?

    If the title insurer is willing to say everything is OK then it doesn't matter.

    Here's an example...

    Let's say the issue is an unreleased deed of trust taken out in 1990 by the guy who sold you the property. It was a 30 year loan that would have matured in 2020 so it's still a potential problem. After the 1990 loan there were a few refinances and loans were paid off with new loans originated. What to do about the URT from 1990? It seems the lender named in that trust went out of business in 2008 so there is nobody to get a release from; the trust was never assigned; and either there is no successor bank handling the lender's loans now or the successor bank has no record of this loan.

    Does this prevent the property from being sold, refinanced, etc? No. What happens in these situations is you minimize the risk that someone claiming the right to collect on the 1990 loan resurfaces, demands payment, and the title insurer has to pay. There are several ways to do this, which I won't bore you with.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 486 posts · 216 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jack Barkow:

    @Tom Gimer so if the title company sends out documentation saying that the title is free and clear when it isn’t and myself and the mortgage company are skeptical that the title hasn’t become clear in 2 days time is there any concern etc?  Or since they insured the title I shouldn’t really care if they haven’t finished up on their end and just move along and close on the refi?

    Don't overthink it. Title co are afraid of lenders. If it's clear to close for refi, you good to go. They will have to defend the title especially that it is 2nd time around.

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Roman M.:
    Originally posted by @Jack Barkow:

    @Tom Gimer so if the title company sends out documentation saying that the title is free and clear when it isn’t and myself and the mortgage company are skeptical that the title hasn’t become clear in 2 days time is there any concern etc?  Or since they insured the title I shouldn’t really care if they haven’t finished up on their end and just move along and close on the refi?

    Don't overthink it. Title co are afraid of lenders. If it's clear to close for refi, you good to go. They will have to defend the title especially that it is 2nd time around.

    Title companies are not afraid of lenders. And in this transaction there would be a lenders policy issued, so it's not a 2nd time around.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 486 posts · 216 votes
    8y

    First Time around - Owner's policy

    Second Time around - Lender's policy.

    That is two times around with the same title co.

    From my experience and when lender is involved, the title co won't clear to close until all liens are cleared and if there is any doubt of any open items out there they will put it on hold until that have cleaned all issues.  

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Roman M. Not accurate. The industry would stop moving if all issues were 100% resolved before proceeding.
    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Investor · Califonia · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    to update on this..

    I talked to the lawyer at the title company and the reason for the delay was because the seller got the property through foreclosure.  The prior owner had died.  Because the old owner had died it took longer than usual to clear up all of the liens.

    All good now and closing next Friday 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.