Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 10 votes
Hello all! I was just thinking before I go to a new small bank and inquire about financing and opening new accounts, how important are the clothes I wear? Let me tell you about my everyday work attire, I’m blue collar, I’m a commercial refrigeration technician, I wear a uniform. The uniform is clean, tucked in, and I have a good appearance. I don’t dress slovenly for work. Should I change things up when going to inquire about loans, accounts, etc.? Polo shirt and khakis?
Even though I turn wrenches, I earn a lot more than expected. When most people enquire about my profession and see my W-2’s they’re sometimes surprised. Should I dress more “white collar”? Should I treat it like a job interview? As in, dress for the job you want?
Jeremiah
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
8y
Jeremiah your uniform means you have a decent job, and if something breaks you can probably fix it. Than deserves respect IMO. They are going to know what you do for a living anyway. Why dress up to look like an insurance salesman unless you are one-no disrespect to insurance salesmen. The days of 'power ties' and fancy suits is long gone. Be proud of what you do Jeremiah; lots of people would love to know what you know.
Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 213 votes
8y
100% what @Joe Splitrock said! People just starting out (who need the bank more than they need you) and people with high net worths and many financing options (the bank needs them more than they need the bank) are not in comparable positions.
My goal is to be a force in the REI world in my area and I believe people outside of your peripheral vision are paying attention even when you think they aren't. At every local REI meeting I go to I am in my business casual work clothes while most everyone else is in shorts and t-shirts because since I am a brand newbie I feel like I need to command respect to make the necessary connections and get to where I want to go!
I’ve operated in both blue collar and white collar working environments. What I have learned is to try and dress like the people I’m doing business with. People trust people who look like they do. However dressing like a banker might not work for you, it might feel forced and end up making you look and feel awkward if you’re not accustomed to it and your suit isn’t tailored etc. So just dress up enough to look put together while still being comfortable but don’t overdo it would be my advice. Probably not your work uniform or people might think you’re there to fix something instead of applying for a loan. I was surprised at my first closing on a multi family, the seller who I knew held a portfolio of dozens of paid off properties showed up in a sweat stained grey V-neck T-shirt and cut off jean shorts. When you get to that level you can wear whatever you want, even jorts, apparently.
I've had the same experience. Before I retired, my dayjob was doing knowledge work in an office setting. I was told to wear a coat and tie to the job interview even though I wasn't going to be doing so after I got hired. When I switched to doing the same work as an independent contractor through a temporary help agency, I was told by the head of the agency to just show up to the interview in my regular office clothes. The fact that the agency had recommended me was good enough to get me in the door, and all the client wanted to do was make sure I would fit in with the company culture (was I easy to get along with, was I willing to learn, and so forth).
But I've seen both extremes. For some highly technical positions, the job ad said not to wear a coat and tie to the job interview because the company was interested in the applicant's mind and not their clothes. I've also seen situations where if someone wasn't wearing the right kind of expensive suit, they were deemed to be of the wrong pedigree and no one at the company would even listen to what they had to say.
As someone who is financially independent now, I can afford to be myself all the time. If someone rejects me because of the clothes I wear or any other reason, that's OK. Self-selection at the front end means I don't have to make an extreme adjustment (such as voting with my feet) at the back end.
Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
It is very regional. It also depends on the type of real estate you are trying to do. The banker is about to go over your financials. If you are way over dressed for the amount of money you have they will not be impressed.
In Texas, most bankers would use the term "All hat, no cattle."
Lender · Spokane, WA · Member since 2016 · 81 posts · 47 votes
8y
Absolutely Dress it up. I had the hardest time getting people to take me seriously when I started in lending, Dressing up makes you seem more confident, professional, intelligent, lower risk.... The list goes on.
I work in a finance industry managing money for very successful people. In our company, we used to have to take two types of profile pictures for client facing. One with a smile when the market is doing good and one with sad face where market is doing bad. This is about your facial expression. We do have to dress to impress our clients or even potential investors.
Specialist · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 88 posts · 54 votes
8y
During my time in financing I learned to never judge a book by it´s cover. A person dressed to the nines was not always the safest bet.
With that said, I think wearing something that makes you feel confident and proud of what you can bring to the table is important. I say look sharp but more importantly be prepared.
Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
How you look has nothing to do with how you look. Every situation you walk into requires first and foremost that you are relatable. Nobody wants to make an effort - even if it's their job. Your job is to make it easy for people to see you as non-threatening and relatable.
Fir a banker, this means one thing. For a private lender it's something else. For a contractor, partner, seller it's something else. Give people what they need. Don't be rigid...
Real Estate Agent · Reno / Sparks, NV · Member since 2013 · 174 posts · 59 votes
8y
The answer to this DRESS FOR SUCCESS, REALLY MATTER?? is, "It Depends". In some cases, how you dress matters greatly. A long time ago, a professional woman told me, You should always dress professionally everyday because you never know who might come into your life that day and first impressions are everything. People's perceptions of you and what you are all about is summed up within a matter of seconds.
There was a candidate who came in for a job interview to the Bank I worked at as a young, college student. He was interviewing for a higher level position and was denied the position because of his shoes. He had a decent suit on and was clean cut, but his shoes were not the right the right fit. Had he went and invested in a pair of shoes to match the outfit, he would have been a shoe in for the job. (Pun intended).
You may categorize my opinion as shallow or imperfect, however, I've witnessed people getting selected for jobs and opportunities constantly based on how they dress and how professionally they act in the work place.
Are there times where your attire does not matter? Possible... probably... I am not an expert in this, however, I'm sure there is a situation somewhere it wouldn't matter. In the professional world, it matters in making a GOOD first impression within that first few seconds. You can only make one first impression. Why not make it count?
Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 339 votes
8y
To me, much more important than the clothes people choose to wear is proper spelling and grammar. I don't make impressions on professionalism based on what someone is wearing, but I DO judge people's professionalism based on what they present in writing. Was the document proofread? Are apostrophes used correctly? Misuse of there their they're. Where, wear, were, we're. I've gotten mailers advertising RE listings from neighbors who happen to be RE agents, that are full of glaring errors. Because I know them and want them to succeed, I've corrected the leaflets and sent them back. If I'd get a similar document from someone I don't know, I'll not use their services. Yes, I'm nerdy, but I'm certainly not alone in this. Caring enough to proofread means attention to detail. Wear what you want, I say. But proofread what you write.
<not necessarily relevant for asking for a loan, but certainly in doing most (if not all) other business transactions>
Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
one very successful company's dictum is "one step sharper than the client" for key interactions which I think is great advice in general to show respect and savvy. And it can work anywhere. Shorts and flip flops in the office? Wear khakis and polo, business casual at the bank? Match it and throw on a blazer, they are wearing jackets and tie, wear your suit and so on.
Charleston, WV · Member since 2017 · 113 posts · 50 votes
8y
Men in suits work for men in jeans. Let your credit score and account balance speak to the lender. Being broke in a suit isn’t getting you a loan. Yes, you want to look presentable but they analyze numbers. No demo before the meeting lol
Rental Property Investor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 175 posts · 111 votes
8y
I dress up in jeans, nice shirt, and boots (even to church). I let my credit and net worth speak for me. However, my boots cost more than most people’s suits. :-)
Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
I believe that the answer is it depends. Where are you applying for the loan? Is it one of the big banks? If so, I agree with @Rami Dababneh and it absolutely does not matter what you where because all of the decisions are made by the underwriters who will never see you anyway. It doesn’t matter how much confidence or not that you have, the only thing that matters to them is how you look on paper. And the banker you interact with in person at the bank is just looking for a commission and is not really invested in what you look like physically (or even in your ability to repay the loan) they are just interested in your ability to look good enough on paper for the underwriters to approave your loans.
If you are looking into getting a loan from a small local bank, then the way you present yourself is very imortant both physically as well as on paper. This is because the banker that is approving the loan is very interested in your ability to pay back the loan. Therefore, they will be looking at you personally as well as professionally to help them make their decision whether or not to lend you money. In such a case I would look professional but I would not overdress for the occasion. I think that it could be showing insecurity trying to compensate for what you are lacking on paper. I would suggest dressing to the level of your comfort but looking nice. Business causal on smaller deals, more business professional on larger deals following the dress cues of the person you will be meeting with.
Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Ive always just tried to be me. I let my knowledge, passion, and personality make a difference. Not what I wear for clothes.
That doesn't mean ill go into a bank with jeans that haven't been washed in a week. But I have no problem meeting people/business professionals in a hooded sweatshirt and a clean pair of jeans with my running sneakers.
Then again, the majority of the time, someone is selling me something. If it was the other way around, maybe things would be different.
To me, much more important than the clothes people choose to wear is proper spelling and grammar. I don't make impressions on professionalism based on what someone is wearing, but I DO judge people's professionalism based on what they present in writing. Was the document proofread? Are apostrophes used correctly? Misuse of there their they're. Where, wear, were, we're. I've gotten mailers advertising RE listings from neighbors who happen to be RE agents, that are full of glaring errors. Because I know them and want them to succeed, I've corrected the leaflets and sent them back. If I'd get a similar document from someone I don't know, I'll not use their services. Yes, I'm nerdy, but I'm certainly not alone in this. Caring enough to proofread means attention to detail. Wear what you want, I say. But proofread what you write.
<not necessarily relevant for asking for a loan, but certainly in doing most (if not all) other business transactions>
well that drops me to the bottom of the list.. I type to fast and I am giving out 4 decades of experience and advice for free they are just going to have to take the bad punctuation on BP or skip my posts LOL.. but I hear you.
I easily find others mistakes but have to read my own stuff 3 times to find them.. writing for sure is not my strong suit.
if I had a big bank presentation I would simply hire someone to do it for me.. so it was perfect.. I would never trust my self to do it..
Or I give it to my wife to proof and re write she is awesome at that stuff..
She is a life long realtor and she always dress's smartly before she is seeing clients.. but its in her DNA she wont even go to the market without being presentable..