Would like to refi a few ... DTI not up to FNMA standards

Would like to refi a few ... DTI not up to FNMA standards

Rental Property Investor · Winslow, ME · Member since 2008 · 826 posts · 281 votes

Hi

I've been accumulating properties fast, and renovating them fast as well. ( 3 years, 43 units, 12 properties, all needing quite a bit of capex) as a result we had hideous tax returns for a year or two but they're very good this year. Still, however, I seem to be putting alot of hours into refi inquiries but banks arent' thrilled to bite. Our "go to" bank is local, great service but they have us now as "commerical" as do many of the local banks. -- in other words, we own enough properties now where we can no longer borrow under the 1-4 unit terms even if the building we're buying is a 1-4 unit. (this is for new borrowing)

My other "go to" bank says our DTI is still not quite there for FNMA standards. I'm wringing my hands, thinking, "I can't let this get by" I can't let the opportunity to get FNMA 30 year lockin rates at 4.5% slip through my hands.

We have a couple 4 units that we'd jump through hoops to get this financing on.

Most of them now have 3/3 ARMS at 5.25% -- they are adjusting DOWN to 4.375% between now and the next 12 months! This is good. However, I'd pay 4.9 to lock in at 30 years (or even 15-20). Our commercial rates for new properties are anywhere from 1-7 year lockin ARMS from just under 4% to near 7% for 7/1 year ARM

Any thoughts or comments? (I know I haven't given much info, but I thought I'd start a conversation at least.)

Thanks!!

0Reply
14 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lien Investor · Westchester, IL · Member since 2010 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    Instead of financing, try going through people that have Self directed IRA funds and split the rental income or give them a better rate of return that they are getting now. [LINK REMOVED]

  • Rental Property Investor · Winslow, ME · Member since 2008 · 826 posts · 281 votes
    14y

    I'd always toyed with the idea of doing something similar. I just need to be sure of myself. I don't want to promise "aunt betty" I can do better than her annuity and then disappoint her. I'm not sure if there are any legalities / registering involved either .... i.e. can I just say, "hey, give me 100k and I'll give ya 7% a year" and draw up a quick word doc or do I have to register as an investment advisor or similar undertaking ... I'll have to do some quick research though because with rates what they are, I would think some more adventurous souls might be willing to fork soem savings over in the hopes of getting a better retrun.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    14y

    Once you have ten mortgaged properties, you're no longer eligible for "conventional" financing, regardless of what the property is like. You're stuck with commercial financing.

    Also, if you're really looking for a loan, you'll need to use the Seeking Financing... forum.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winslow, ME · Member since 2008 · 826 posts · 281 votes
    14y

    Thanks Jon,
    I have found that to be true regarding number financed, though one banker seems to think that over 5 unit buildings do NOT count toward the 10 (or 4) building limit.

    Also, can you direct me to the seeking financing forum. I was not able to find it via the forum menu. Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    14y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.