HELOC in San Diego, California 4.86%

HELOC in San Diego, California 4.86%

Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 32 votes

Thanks for opening my post.

I am getting ready to pull equity on my 6 rental condos in San Diego. About 1.2 million of equity total. Then BRRR

I made a list of 37 institutions, local and national, ever mentioned here to offer HELOCs on investment. 

Well 70% of them dont offer it.. I'm half way through my list.

So far Bank of the West offers a deal of 5.85% but if you jump a few hoops, it comes down to 4.85. That is the best deal so far.

If you know any lender that offers better rates for San Diego, please, share.

Dennis 

0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerry BairdPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

@Kenneth Donaghy

Ridge Lending All in One

Americafirst 80% LTV on noo 65% LTV 15 year 5.74%, Utah

Arvest Bank

California: Cal Coast Credit Union and Fremont Bank.

East West Bank, up to 60% LTV with "no docs"

First Florida Credit Union https://firstflorida.cumortgagecenter.com

Huntington

Hurst Lending and Insurance Investment property HELOC in Texas. No seasoning.

Key Bank, flexible lender, HELOCs on second homes and rental properties. 90% LTV on primary.

PenFed - max 3 other properties

LendingTree is a broker, connects you with multiple loan providers, some sub prime. 3 to 5 week for underwriting is a long time.

TD Bank

Tower FCU, all states except TX, max 45 DTI, green card ok. Max of three rental properties. Automated appraisal.

Trustco

Union Bank, specializes in noo HELOC, NE, KCMO

US Bank

Figure

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    That's a pretty good rate for a HELOC, @Dennis Nikolaev. Out of curiosity, why not liquidate the condos and 1031 into a MFR? You'll mitigate the inherent risk of condos, consolidate your holdings, and see efficiencies of scale. $1.2MM will get you into a $4+MM MFR with little difficulty.

  • Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    @jaysen 

    good question. If I liquidate, I got to take losses on sale, an lots of headache and time. 

    Besides I'll loose the cash flow that I already have.

    HELOC is easy and free untill I actually use it.

    Also I like the idea of keeping more units

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y

    @Dennis Nikolaev

    Did you think about a refi versus HELOC? I recognize you indicate that you do not have immediate plans for the money but you are in a high appreciation market. The appreciation is magnified with leverage. If you took the money out via refi and invested in something of passive, liquid, moderate return (such as S&P 500: Lifetime just over 9%) you would still experience the same RE appreciation and you would have the gain resulting from having the investment in something (I used SP500 as an example) else that appreciates. Your cash flow would decrease (due to higher LTV) but the decrease would be less than the historical appreciation of the S&P 500 (or other such investment).

    When you wanted to access the money it would be available (because I had liquid as one of the qualifiers).

    BTW I looked into HELOC on investment RE a few years ago and agree that there were not a lot of places offering it.

    I suspect you have done more recent research than anyone else on this site.

    Good luck

  • Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    @Dan 

    yes, HELOC is a short term stop gap solution on the way to cash out refi of the new property.

    Cash out refi is available from many more places. 

  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 355 posts · 195 votes
    6y

    @Dan H. and @Dennis Nikolaev, Please let me know who does HELOCs on investment properties. That is valuable info!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Kenneth Donaghy, Pen Fed CU and Figure both do them. Up to 80% LTV, I think. Another BP member had compiled a longer list (some state specific), but I can't seem to find right now.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Kenneth Donaghy

    Ridge Lending All in One

    Americafirst 80% LTV on noo 65% LTV 15 year 5.74%, Utah

    Arvest Bank

    California: Cal Coast Credit Union and Fremont Bank.

    East West Bank, up to 60% LTV with "no docs"

    First Florida Credit Union https://firstflorida.cumortgagecenter.com

    Huntington

    Hurst Lending and Insurance Investment property HELOC in Texas. No seasoning.

    Key Bank, flexible lender, HELOCs on second homes and rental properties. 90% LTV on primary.

    PenFed - max 3 other properties

    LendingTree is a broker, connects you with multiple loan providers, some sub prime. 3 to 5 week for underwriting is a long time.

    TD Bank

    Tower FCU, all states except TX, max 45 DTI, green card ok. Max of three rental properties. Automated appraisal.

    Trustco

    Union Bank, specializes in noo HELOC, NE, KCMO

    US Bank

    Figure

  • Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    @Kerry

    wow, what a list. 

    a personal question: what would you rather take: 4.86%, 70% LTV or 7.85% 80% LTV?

  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 355 posts · 195 votes
    6y

    @Jaysen Medhurst @Kerry Baird

    Thank you very much!

    @Amit Shrestha

    For our notes

  • Morrison, CO · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Add Vectra Bank to the list of HELOC lenders on a rental. I think the LTV was 70% for ours.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Thanks @Heather Miner. I lived in Morrison for a short while. Love your pretty area. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.