Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 10 votes
Have any of you ever heard of an Engagement Fee for refinancing?
LENDBASE has the following fees
Conventional:
1% origination fee
$500 doc fee (est)
Title Work TBD
Appraisal $2000-$3000
Environmental $0-$2000 (depending on search)
Which all seem pretty normal, but FIRST they require you pay them up front $4,000.00 to start brokering loans, it’s their "non-refundable engagement fee.”
Has anyone ever heard of this ever? What has been your experience with LENDBASE? Their fees portion are so strange - your thoughts?
Mortgage Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 657 posts · 275 votes
6y
Lol, that's a bit of a stretch. I wish I could pull something off like that... basically, its a fee to make sure you don't waste the lenders/broker's time. No I would not go with a company charging that. I get paid when the deal closes and so should any other lender.
Mortgage Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 657 posts · 275 votes
6y
Lol, that's a bit of a stretch. I wish I could pull something off like that... basically, its a fee to make sure you don't waste the lenders/broker's time. No I would not go with a company charging that. I get paid when the deal closes and so should any other lender.
I worked with a broker before who delivered and has referred me to Lendbase. I spoke with them over the phone a few times and they seem super pro about everything. I am leery about the 4K engagement fee they’re asking upfront. I asked my broker if he’s ever worked with them before and he said he has not. I am having second thoughts and I don’t want to go through with this. @Geoffrey, I Am curious If you went through with them.
I was unfortunately caught up in this scam and I hope that I can help others avoid the loss of money and the unfortunately situation that I was in.
I lost $5,000.
Lendbase has a referral fee that they pay any residential brokers that want to bring customers. The typical fee they charge up-front is $4,000, but they were able to get $5,000 out of me because I was new and nieve to the commercial lending agency. It turns out my residential broker was just telling me anything to get me signed up. He gets his referral fee up-front, regardless of whether they bring any options to the table.
I warned of my credit score, and my situation, but was just advised that it will not be a problem. Go ahead and proceed.
I transferred the money via EFT (the transfer instructions had no reference to Lendbase - red flag), and asked for a receipt, but was told that their customers rarely ask for a receipt. Seems odd as this would be a business expense for my business. I still don't have a receipt or record for the transfer outside of my bank record. Even my title company will send me a receipt. Another red flag.
I signed the contract mentioned above, that initially said no closing points to lendbase when we find a loan. However, after their "exhaustive" search of thousands of lenders they partner with, they were only able to offer me one loan. But, alas, the loan isn't with one of their wholesale partners, so they will have to charge me a 2% origination fee: 1% to lendbase and 1% to the lender. They will quickly send you an amended version of the contract with this 2% added on, and ask you to sign it and send it back.
Don't do this - this is their scam!
You don't know who their "wholesale" partners are. You don't know if they actually deal with thousands of lenders, or if they deal with a couple and this is their scheme to get your money and then get another 2% origination fee.
Don't do business with them. There's currently a website set up to get information from customers that have had this contract "sleight of hand" done to them. If you've been a victim, go over to lendbasetookmymoney.com and submit the form so that the attorney can determine if this is considered a class action lawsuit.
Lendbase is able to skirt around this by claiming that they are just a "broker" and not the actual lender. So the lender is in the clear and Lendbase isn't actually the lender.
Very nice scam. I got caught and lost my money and more and more people are also reporting similar circumstances.
Rental Property Investor · Whitefish, MT · Member since 2022 · 37 posts · 8 votes
4y
Hey there, this is my first Bigger Pockets post so yay!?
We're working with a mortgage broker local to us and he has put us in contact with Lendbase as well. We are not currently under any sort of contract and we just found this thread through a google search on Lendbase.
We are currently working on a construction loan to develop some residential lots, assumed the Mortgage Broker would be on the up and up... had some sales-ey call with a guy out of Utah.
I suppose the main question is, does this company actually come through. We're looking at a rather large loan and I feel like we could go down a different road if this place is not legit.
Hey there, this is my first Bigger Pockets post so yay!?
We're working with a mortgage broker local to us and he has put us in contact with Lendbase as well. We are not currently under any sort of contract and we just found this thread through a google search on Lendbase.
We are currently working on a construction loan to develop some residential lots, assumed the Mortgage Broker would be on the up and up... had some sales-ey call with a guy out of Utah.
I suppose the main question is, does this company actually come through. We're looking at a rather large loan and I feel like we could go down a different road if this place is not legit.
Thanks.
Jonathan,
Did you go through with Lendbase? Would love to hear your experience.
Hey there, this is my first Bigger Pockets post so yay!?
We're working with a mortgage broker local to us and he has put us in contact with Lendbase as well. We are not currently under any sort of contract and we just found this thread through a google search on Lendbase.
We are currently working on a construction loan to develop some residential lots, assumed the Mortgage Broker would be on the up and up... had some sales-ey call with a guy out of Utah.
I suppose the main question is, does this company actually come through. We're looking at a rather large loan and I feel like we could go down a different road if this place is not legit.
Thanks.
Jonathan,
Did you go through with Lendbase? Would love to hear your experience.
We did not end up finalizing the deal. Listing agent dropped the ball. Sounds weird, but true. Lol
That's the #1 sign of a scam. Wanting money for doing nothing or asking for a commitment fee.
Not to say that all lender who do this are a scam, but why would you entertain it. There are 100 other lenders out there who will do the same loan without this fee for every 1 that asks for it.
Specialist · New Smyrna Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 14 votes
3y
I was curious about Lendbase already prior to reading this post. I called them and we spoke about being a borrower and about being loan broker. Lendbase, as a "correspondent lender" basically shops for and lends other Lender monies. I was quoted a "retainer" (?engagement?) fee of $5,000 to which I responded, "with all the money out there seeking a place to be, why would I need Lendbase to shop for a loan for me?". Without getting into the weeds of our conversation, their response was as expected highlighting their service and ability to facilitate a loan. My investors expect me to source financing for a deal and not retain a service to do what I am expect to do as part of my fees.
Lendbase helps clients that other lenders won't touch. This is usually due to a credit score below the industry desirable score of 680 for a Commercial Loan. They have a group of funding sources that will compete against each other, this helps keep the final interest rate within reason, and offer a partial refund if they are unable to secure financing. They are great to work with and get things done!
That's the #1 sign of a scam. Wanting money for doing nothing or asking for a commitment fee.
Not to say that all lender who do this are a scam, but why would you entertain it. There are 100 other lenders out there who will do the same loan without this fee for every 1 that asks for it.
Find a different lender.
Cheers!
Most commercial lenders want a 680 credit score, or they won't talk to a borrower.
Lender · 42 states · Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 5 votes
3y
What is the collateral for this loan? I noticed that the appraisal fee is higher than a typical 1 to 4 unit residential property, and they quoted and Environmental Study fee, which I have never heard of on a 1 to 4 unit residential property. That leads me to believe that this is a commercial property or larger (more than 10 to 12 units) multifamily. If this contract is for a 1 to 4 unit property, then the engagement fee is super strange. If it is something other than that, then yes, the engagement fee is absolutely standard. It is used towards the appraisal, the environmental study, document review and preparation. Any unused funds from the engagement fee are typically credited to the borrower at loan closing, reducing your total cash to close. Please feel free to contact me if I may be helpful to you.
That's the #1 sign of a scam. Wanting money for doing nothing or asking for a commitment fee.
Not to say that all lender who do this are a scam, but why would you entertain it. There are 100 other lenders out there who will do the same loan without this fee for every 1 that asks for it.
Find a different lender.
Cheers!
Most commercial lenders want a 680 credit score, or they won't talk to a borrower.
I work with several who go to 600 or don't require a FICO for commercial at all.
Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 28 votes
3y
Appraisal fee seems very excessive if this is not more than 4 doors. I think they are way too many lenders out there to deal with that won't have an engagement fee much less of $4000. Then can decide for whatever reason not to fund the loan and keep that engagement fee.
I just tried to work with Lendbase and they are a complete scam. They were recommended to me by a local lender that I work with regularly. I just hired a lawyer to sue them. If anyone else has been taken advantage of by them please reach out to me
I wish I found this website before. Sorry, English isn't my original language.
On 11/6/23, I applied to Lendbase for a commercial loan for my business. I paid $6,000 fee. I wish I didn’t.
The only reason I worked with them is because the rep said 6.25% on the phone. Everyone on the call heard that. I wrote 6.25% in the agreement docusign.
On 12/8/23, the loan offers were for 8.5%-9.5%, 10.63%, 10.88%. The fourth loan offer ask to deposit the whole loan amount into a CD. If my business had that money laying around, I wouldn’t need a loan? All offers included more $5,130 fees to Lendbase, over the $6,000 already paid!
They even ask me to look up my own credit score ("exceptional" FICO 8).
0 stars. I feel like they took my money and didn’t give the excellent service advertised on their website. I want my money back.
Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
2y
@Sang Kim- I am sorry to hear this....DId any of the paperwork provided outline if the 6K fee was rendable ? Reqauest a refund from them verbally and in writing and continue to follow up and go up the management chain if needed . In the future - never pay an application or engagement fee when trying to get a home loan or a reseideential loan
hi @Dave Skow, like everyone says above the up front "platform fee" is non-refundable. Today my broker said he was emailing and calling them for 2 weeks already but they will not budge! Not even a part refund. We can't find anyone higher in the Lendbase company.
I just hope people can find our messages and not pay up front so much for any loan "service" that is bad. :(
Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
2y
@Sang Kim- thanks for clarifying you are trying to get a commercial loan ...this is a completely different product than a home loan ...You still should be able to locate and obtain a good commercial loan without having to pay any fees upfront ( other than possibly paying for the appraisal after the loan has been approved )
Lender · Winlock, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
They are a lender that we broker to. Personally I will not work with them specifically due to this fee. I believe they are recouping costs associated with loans they don't close. Most lenders (they are not a lender, rather a broker) doesn't have fees of this kind. I don't know what advantage you would get from working with them? If there are, fill me in, I'd like to know?
Hey there, this is my first Bigger Pockets post so yay!?
We're working with a mortgage broker local to us and he has put us in contact with Lendbase as well. We are not currently under any sort of contract and we just found this thread through a google search on Lendbase.
We are currently working on a construction loan to develop some residential lots, assumed the Mortgage Broker would be on the up and up... had some sales-ey call with a guy out of Utah.
I suppose the main question is, does this company actually come through. We're looking at a rather large loan and I feel like we could go down a different road if this place is not legit.
Thanks.
Did you end up using them - talking to them right now - and a little nervous to pay the engagement fee. Thanks