Banks or CUs that will do HELOC on SFH rental property?

Banks or CUs that will do HELOC on SFH rental property?

Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 27 votes

I know many banks and CUs will not do HELOCs on investment properties but I have also heard here and elsewhere that many do. However, now that I am actually looking, I am having a hard time finding any and can't locate the old posts that listed some of the lenders that do. I called Wells Fargo earlier and they will do it but limit the total amount of mortgages you can have to 5 (I have 8). I have excellent credit and the property has a 40% LTV. I just need to find an institution that will do it. Or, do they just not exist in my scenario and in today's market?

2Reply
205 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerry BairdPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

I've gleaned these lenders from the kind people on BP. I have used PenFed and TD Bank for HELOCs on investment property. Post back if you find another lender who serves you well, and I will add them to my list and pay it forward.

Ridge Lending All in One, first position HELOC

Americafirst 80% LTV on noo 65% LTV Utah

Arvest Bank AR, OK, AL, MO

Bank of the west

BB&T will loan on a rental portfolio

BBVA Compass

Boeing employee credit union

California: Cal Coast Credit Union and Fremont Bank.

Citizens first position HELOC

CMG a financial 70% LTV

East West Bank, up to 60% LTV with "no docs"

Figure 80% on a rental, not in LLC

First Florida Credit Union https://firstflorida.cumortgagecenter.com

First Commonwealth

Great Lakes Credit Union

HSBC 70%, for premier clients only

Huntington 75% LTV

Hurst Lending and Insurance Investment property

HELOC in Texas. No seasoning.

Key Bank, FLorida flexible lender, HELOCs on second

homes and rental properties. 90% LTV on primary.

Merchants Bank MN See Pavel Ushakov

>=700 (credit score), <=80% LTV the rate would be Prime - .25%
>=700 (credit score), 80.1% - 90% LTV the rate would be Prime + .50%
>=700 (credit score), >90%, the rate would be Prime + 1.75%

30 years; 10 yr draw, 20 yr repayment.

Annual fee $25.

PenFed - max 3 other properties, 89% LTV

Regions- yes HELOC but no LOC

SCCU Florida 70% LTV, 6.25% interest only, not LLC

Sound CU "non-owner occupied HELOC, capped at $150K and interest rates are prime + 2%, 3% or 4%, based on credit, not to exceed 70% ltv."

S&T

TD Bank

TIAA Direct was EverBank

Tower FCU, all states except TX, max 45 DTI, green card ok. Max of three rental properties. Automated appraisal.

Trustco

Union Bank, specializes in noo HELOC. KCMO, NE

Union Bank, MUFG.

US Bank

Vectra Bank

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I've gleaned these lenders from the kind people on BP. I have used PenFed and TD Bank for HELOCs on investment property. Post back if you find another lender who serves you well, and I will add them to my list and pay it forward.

    Ridge Lending All in One, first position HELOC

    Americafirst 80% LTV on noo 65% LTV Utah

    Arvest Bank AR, OK, AL, MO

    Bank of the west

    BB&T will loan on a rental portfolio

    BBVA Compass

    Boeing employee credit union

    California: Cal Coast Credit Union and Fremont Bank.

    Citizens first position HELOC

    CMG a financial 70% LTV

    East West Bank, up to 60% LTV with "no docs"

    Figure 80% on a rental, not in LLC

    First Florida Credit Union https://firstflorida.cumortgagecenter.com

    First Commonwealth

    Great Lakes Credit Union

    HSBC 70%, for premier clients only

    Huntington 75% LTV

    Hurst Lending and Insurance Investment property

    HELOC in Texas. No seasoning.

    Key Bank, FLorida flexible lender, HELOCs on second

    homes and rental properties. 90% LTV on primary.

    Merchants Bank MN See Pavel Ushakov

    >=700 (credit score), <=80% LTV the rate would be Prime - .25%
    >=700 (credit score), 80.1% - 90% LTV the rate would be Prime + .50%
    >=700 (credit score), >90%, the rate would be Prime + 1.75%

    30 years; 10 yr draw, 20 yr repayment.

    Annual fee $25.

    PenFed - max 3 other properties, 89% LTV

    Regions- yes HELOC but no LOC

    SCCU Florida 70% LTV, 6.25% interest only, not LLC

    Sound CU "non-owner occupied HELOC, capped at $150K and interest rates are prime + 2%, 3% or 4%, based on credit, not to exceed 70% ltv."

    S&T

    TD Bank

    TIAA Direct was EverBank

    Tower FCU, all states except TX, max 45 DTI, green card ok. Max of three rental properties. Automated appraisal.

    Trustco

    Union Bank, specializes in noo HELOC. KCMO, NE

    Union Bank, MUFG.

    US Bank

    Vectra Bank

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles CA · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    I've used PenFed (80% LTV) and Huntington (75% LTV) for investment property HELOCs.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    Thank you @Kerry Baird. This is a great list and should prove SUPER helpful in my quest. I just heard about East West Bank from someone else and you also mention them in your list. So, I decided to check them out today. Unfortunately, for me, they only offer HELOCs on properties located in CA, WA, NV, TX, GA, NY & MA. While I do live in TX, the property I am wanting the HELOC on is in AZ. So, it appears EWB won't work for me but there are still many others on your GREAT list that I will start going through!

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Thanks! I did a lot of calling lenders and digging through the forums.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Justin Franklin Thanks! Tried PenFed already but they won’t allow more than 3 existing mortgages. Will look into Huntington though.

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Agins:

    I know many banks and CUs will not do HELOCs on investment properties but I have also heard here and elsewhere that many do. However, now that I am actually looking, I am having a hard time finding any and can't locate the old posts that listed some of the lenders that do. I called Wells Fargo earlier and they will do it but limit the total amount of mortgages you can have to 5 (I have 8). I have excellent credit and the property has a 40% LTV. I just need to find an institution that will do it. Or, do they just not exist in my scenario and in today's market?

    I'm going through the process of getting a HELOC on a rental as we speak with PenFed. So far it's been smooth and painless. Although, we haven't gotten to the appraisal so time will tell. The HELOC is 4.75 variable rate at 80% LTV. Again, this is for a non owner occupied property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2012 · 65 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Hulen

    In Utah, AFCU does 80% LTV on NOO.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Two questions that maybe someone in this thread can answer. 1. Does it take 60 something days to get a HELOC if it's on your primary residence? 2. Is anyone experiencing the fact that banks are tightening up on HELOCS right now? I want to work on getting one now so that I can pull the trigger on the right rental property as soon as the fog starts to settle on c-19 and we can see where things are at. I also want to make sure I do and say the right things to maximize my chances. Would telling them that I want to brrr a property with it minimize my chances, or does that depend on the bank? Thanks and stay safe! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Barbara E. I don't know how much it matters but I’m stating the purpose as more of a “rainy day” fund to tap into if and when I need it for whatever. I assume some banks are tightening up right now but many I’m talking to are lending. However, processing times may be somewhat delayed as they are dealing with this as we all are.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Joseph Agins- appreciated. I'll start my hunt for a good HELOC now, in case it takes a long time to obtain.

  • Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 16 votes
    6y
    What is the going NOO Rate?

    Originally posted by @Jordan Meyer:

    @Jonathan Hulen

    In Utah, AFCU does 80% LTV on NOO.

  • Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 16 votes
    6y
    Last I heard it was 3 properties not mortgages. Move some to an LLC.
    Originally posted by @Joseph Agins:

    @Justin Franklin Thanks! Tried PenFed already but they won’t allow more than 3 existing mortgages. Will look into Huntington though.

  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    The burning question for me is how many on that list will do a LOC if they are a junior lien to another mortgage?

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Matt T. it seems to very on the amount of mortgages. Some are 3, some 5, some don’t care how many you have. Spoke to Bank of the West yesterday and they have no such limits.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2012 · 65 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @matt T. In the 5-6% range. It varies with prime rate.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Allan Smith, none of these are offering first-position lines. This provider advertises a first position HELOC, but I cannot say whether they are funding right now: https://www.americanfinancing.... I have no experience with them at all. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2012 · 65 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    The rate is 5-5.5% right now. AFCU in Utah does these in the 2nd position.

  • Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 16 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Agins:

    @Matt T. it seems to very on the amount of mortgages. Some are 3, some 5, some don’t care how many you have. Spoke to Bank of the West yesterday and they have no such limits.

    What rate are you get with West?

  • Manley WoodsPro Member
    Member since 2021 · 74 posts · 27 votes
    4y

    I’m thinking of getting a heloc on a rental property. I purchased the property when I was single, and I’m married now. My question is will my wife be added to the title paperwork similar to if I was doing a refinance?

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    @Manley Woods, my 2cent is no. You can carry the loan (and title) without involving your partner.

  • Manley WoodsPro Member
    Member since 2021 · 74 posts · 27 votes
    4y

    Ok. Thank you.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    My list has grown since this original post.  For disclosure, I have used PenFed and TD Bank for HELOCs on investment property. I am not a broker, I don't gain anything from posting these lenders.  BP users shared the information freely, which you can find yourself, if you search.  I just collected them along the way.  Please DM me or post back if you find another lender who serves you well, and I will add them to my list and pay it forward. These were largely sourced pre-CV19, so eat the fish and spit out the bones.

    Try local community bank or credit union for investment properties. PenFed FCU, TD Bank and US Bank are my best recommendations.

    The DTI percentage range varies by lender, and is less than what you will find for an owner occupied property, due to lender risk. While qualifying for a HELOC is dependent on your home equity and your credit score, good or excellent credit makes it easier to qualify. A good average to shoot for is 620 or higher. Plus, the better your credit score, the better your interest rate. 670 to 739 is "good" 740+ excellent.

    Ridge Lending All in One, first position HELOC

    AFCU does 80% LTV on NOO. Utah

    Americafirst 80% LTV on noo 65% LTV Utah

    Arvest Bank AR, OK, AL, MO

    Bancorp South, TX Lines of Credit on free and clear houses

    Bank of Southern California, CA

    Bank of West (BNP Paribas) 60% LTV CA, AZ, OR

    BB&T will loan on a rental portfolio

    BBVA, now PNC

    BECU for OR

    Bellwether Community Credit Union, NH and MA 85% to 100%, draw 10 yrs

    BMO Harris, 3 HELOCs to 70% LTV

    Boeing Employee Credit Union

    Cal Coast Credit Union, CA

    Change Wholesale

    Citizens Bank -MiN, only in-state. Kyle Potswald

    Citizens, first position HELOC

    CMG Financial 70% LTV CMG Financial in Idaho will do 100% on owner occupied.

    Coastal Federal Bank of NC

    Consolidated CCU, high LTV NOO LOC, OR, WA

    East West Bank, up to 60% LTV with "no docs" San Fran CA area

    Figure 80% on a rental, not in LLC

    Finance of America, 95% CLTV, second home only, 680 FICO, not TX

    FirstBank CO and AZ 75% LTV

    First Florida Credit Union FL

    First Commonwealth

    First Midwest, IL up to 90% Chicago area

    First Tech Federal. OR and other Western states. Up to 80% if FICO is over 780, no appraisal under $250k value.

    First Republic - CA

    Fremont Bank- CA

    Frost Bank - TX

    Fulton Bank, PA, NJ

    GFA Federal Credit Union 10 yr draw, 10 yr repay, MA, NH

    Granite State CU, NH 90-100%

    Great Lakes Credit Union, Chicago area IL

    GTE Financial, Tampa, Sarasota area FL w 2 yrs tax history on property

    Hanscom FCU, TX

    HSBC 70%, for premier clients only. FL, NY, MD, CA, VA, NJ,

    Horizon Bank, Kalamazoo MI

    Huntington MI 75% LTV 5 yr IO product available. Someone reported 80%…need confirmation

    Hurst Lending and Insurance Investment property HELOC in Texas. No seasoning. Bridge, portfolio, foreign national and other specialty loan products.

    KeyBank, flexible lender, HELOCs on second

    homes and rental properties. 90% LTV on primary. BLOC FL, CO, OH, UT, ID

    Lafayette Ambassador Bank

    Merchants Bank MN See Pavel Ushakov

    Mid-Hudson Valley FCU

    Mountain America CU Utah, ID, MT, NV, AZ, NM. 85% LTV, promo rate of 1.99%. Can refi an existing mortgage to a shorter term "Mini Mortgage."

    Navy Federal 80% LTV

    Norway Savings Bank, Maine

    Omaha Mortgage

    Oregonians CU - OR

    PenFed - max 3 other properties, including primary. 80% LTV, prime + 1%, <4 properties. Pulls Equifax.

    Peoples Bank of NC

    PSECU up to 80%

    Quorum Federal Credit Union 80% LTV, owned by LLC is OK. Very flexible lender. NY. 5 year draw, IO for 5 yrs and PI for 10 year repayment period. FICO at least 680. Not in Texas.

    Quontic

    Red Canoe Credit Union, WA OR

    Regions

    River Bank & Trust, AL

    Rivermark Credit Union, OR 90% LTV

    SCCU Florida 80% LTV, 2.75% first year promo, not LLC

    SECU NC 65% LTV rate 2.75% Oct 2021

    Signature Federal Credit Union 75% LTV (100% on primary residence), VA

    Silvergate Bank, CA

    Sound CU "non-owner occupied HELOC, capped at $150K and interest rates are prime + 2%, 3% or 4%, based on credit, not to exceed 70% ltv." CT

    SouthEast Bank TN

    Symmetry

    S&T Bank, PA

    TCF Bank, FL, GA

    TD Bank 75% line with FICO about 740. Up to 4 properties.

    Torrey Pines Bank, see also Western Alliance Bank Corp. Commercial real estate solutions for developers, home builders.

    Troy Bank & Trust, AL

    Trustco Bank, FL, NY, NJ, MA, VT

    Trustmark Bank, Texas. Call it a LOC rather than a HELOC

    Union Bank, specializes in noo HELOC. KCMO, NE., MUFG.

    Upstate Bank in Rochester NY, LOC up to 80%

    US Bank 80%. “Business equity line of credit: Use Real Estate as Equity” up to $500k, interest only. gather your business and personal tax returns, financial statements, articles of incorporation and other legal documents.”

    Vectra Bank - Colo

    Veritex, Texas HELOC

    WAFD Bank. Origination fee 1% or $700. Can be in an LLC, max 75% LTV. WA, OR, UT, NV, ID, NM, AZ, TX. All-in-One construction loan, too.

    WellsFargo 60% LTV Up to 5 properties.

    Workers Credit Union, MA 80-100%

    WSFS...up to 70% on rental

    Zions Bank, Utah

    NO: Truist

    TEXAS https://www.cutx.org/home-equity-loans/helocs WAFD, Frost, Trustmark

    High primary, not investment, HELOC:

    Spring EQ 97.5% and fast, at 11 days

    Foreign national: Civic 80% LTV for cash out. 5/1, 7/1 and 10/1 interest only ARMS. 1 to 2 year bridge loan. Fund in 5. To 10 business days; can finance the rehab.

    SMALL BALANCE HELOC ON PRIMARY

    US Bank 15k to $750k 10 year draw. Requires high FICO 730 and LTV 70% or less

    PenFed Best Credit Union $25 to $500k 10 yr draw. Up to 90% LTV.

    Bank of America, low fee. $25k to $1 million, 10 year draw. HUGE line

    PNC Bank best for small home improvements $10k up. 7 to 10 yr draw.

    TD Bank from $8 k up. Can go from $25 to $500k…large line.

    Frost Bank, in Texas only.

    CALIFORNIA: Bank of Southern California, Bank of West (BNP Paribas), Cal Coast Credit Union, East West Bank, up to 60% LTV with "no docs" San Fran, First Republic, Fremont Bank, HSBC, Quorum FCU, Silvergate Bank,

    UTAH

    Mountain American Credit Union and America First have great rates for HELOCs

    America First will do a HELOC on an investment property in Utah.

    STR DSCR Mortgages (not HELOCs)

    Visio

    Host Financial

    American Heritage

    LendingOne

    RCN

  • Investor · Franklin · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Slowly going through the list but thus far SouthEast Bank, PenFed are not offering HELOC on investment property. Figure does but its not a HELOC in traditional sense but they pull the full amount that you qualify for as a loan but if you turn around and pay it off right away, you can then have a re-draw as needed for up to 5 yrs. So might be good for some in a pinch if lenders are not offering right now. Thanks for this thread!

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Many local banks here in Columbus will do HELOC's on investment properties, usually maxed at 70% LTV. The key is targeting depository institutions.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Jeremy Goettel, I have added to it a bunch over the past 2 years, as people tell me they have had success.  There is a lot of risk in the marketplace right now, so some of these will stop and see how the winds of change blow.  PM me for an updated list.  Mods have asked me to stop "spamming" it on the forums.  Fair enough.  Ask me for the updated list and I'll share.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.