Taking over someone's Mortgage?

Taking over someone's Mortgage?

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 15 votes

I am looking at a short sale deal on the MLS. To my understanding a "short sale" is a situation where the selling price is lower than the mortgage owed on the property and when sold, the money goes to the lender.

If I spoke to the seller directly and offered to bring mortgage up to date and assume the rest of the mortgage loan, could that work? Does the seller walk away with nothing but save themselves from foreclosure? I am not familiar with short sales at all besides the info I found online. I am familiar with the area and know what I could receive in rent for the property.

The property is distressed and needs a rehab, my thoughts on the deal are:

1) Assume the mortgage

2) Rehab

3) Rent

4) Refinance

Would appreciate any recommendations or thoughts from experienced investors, the area has a high demand but low inventory outside of NYC so I am confident on getting it rented within a week or two after rehab.

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 784 votes
    4y

    A short sale does mean that the mortgage balance exceeds the asking price. But why would you pay more to “bring the mortgage up to date” if you could pay less and purchase it at asking?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.