Refinance a paid off house?

Refinance a paid off house?

Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Let’s say I bought a house cash. I rehabbed the house and I’m the property is now rented. Can I do a cash out refinance? If so, how does happen? Thank you 

1Reply
130 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2021 · 244 posts · 163 votes
3y

@Arthur Nogueira What Bill said is correct, you can do a cash out refinance on a fully paid-off house. Go to your local bank/credit union and ask them for the same. Typically, they can give you the lowest rates 

However, another option that may be more beneficial is getting a LOC (line of credit) secured by the paid-off house. Unlike a cash-out refinance, you pay for the funds as you go and it functions as a credit card (rather than a mortgage), giving you more flexibility over the funds secured via your house and is potentially cheaper than a mortgage since it is not amortized. Additionally, this will be easier to get than a mortgage in this case since this LOC is in first position

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Springfield MO · Member since 2023 · 30 posts · 21 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Arthur Nogueira:

    Let’s say I bought a house cash. I rehabbed the house and I’m the property is now rented. Can I do a cash out refinance? If so, how does happen? Thank you 


     We do this all day long and it's a great way to grow and scale. Another option is to buy an asset with a fix-and-flip loan where you just put a portion down for purchase and get the rehab funded. Once the work is done and you want a 30-year fixed rate you just refinance, pull out your cash and do it all again and again ! 

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Morgan:

    @Arthur Nogueira

    I just did this. My cash flow was only $1200/month with my paid off rental. I did a cash out refi on it and bought 3 houses with the cash. Now my total cashflow is $3500/month and I picked up 3 houses basically for free, not costing me any money out of pocket. I actually had about 30k left over that I didn’t use. I’m a fan of using equity just sitting there doing anything for me.


     Could you please give the bank that you used for this, and approximately how much was your monthly payment?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.