Land Contract for a Quad?

Land Contract for a Quad?

Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Thoughts on a land contract vs traditional financing when buying a fully paid off Multi Family (4unit) from a private owner? No liens or current financing on the property - just trying to get the best financing available. This would be our first investment property.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Tom GimerBusiness Member
DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

As buyer I would prefer owner financing (deed + mortgage/DoT) over contract for deed. That would likely accomplish the seller’s goals as well… in the short term.

Gimer Law516 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Claire McCormack

    What state is it in? If I was selling a multifamily I would not want to sell it on a land contract as I don’t want my name on that asset anymore

    Many states land contracts are considered a mortgage and still need a foreclosure so they have zero added benefit

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    This one’s in Chicago, IL. From what I’m reading - the biggest Con to us as buyer is that the property wouldn’t be in our name. The pros would be potentially lower (negotiated) interest rate and down payment. The pro to the owner/seller is: mitigating large capital gains all at once since the property is currently paid off, and continuing a stream of income with interest. 

    Thoughts? 

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    As buyer I would prefer owner financing (deed + mortgage/DoT) over contract for deed. That would likely accomplish the seller’s goals as well… in the short term.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Thanks Tom, I haven't heard of DOT - but we're very new. Any chance you could elaborate on what it is, and pros & cons to both sides of the deal?

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    DoT = Deed of Trust

    With seller financing there is a deed to the buyer recorded along with a security instrument (either a mortgage or deed of trust). Using this method, if the seller has any financial issues such as judgments or liens they do not affect title to the property because it has changed hands.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Claire McCormack -  I think if you could provide a bit more information on your thinking that would be super helpful.

    - What's your reasoning for considering a land contract?

    - I could be wrong, but how do the financing options differ?  

    - Is this a property that you already have under contract?

    I am with @Tom Gimer having the seller hold a note is likely your best option since the property is paid off in full.  Curious, what area of chicago the building is in?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.