2nd position loan to take out equity on office building

2nd position loan to take out equity on office building

Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes

BP gurus,

I am searching for financing options currently for a lender that will do a second position loan on a well leased office building in the Hampton Roads area. I would VERY much prefer to not refinance out of my 1st position commercial loan as the rate is well below residential loan rates.

I've spoken to numerous lenders in the area and out of the area and they are very averse to 2nd position on office buildings. The building is leased well at about 75%, lots of equity, excellent location in a downtown area, major larger building being rehabbed directly across the street, recent appraisal has my equity position at just over $500k in equity.

Any recommendations, advice, or know a lender that is currently servicing these loans? I know it's tricky currently...I get that. Definitely must tip my hat to some of the brokers in the area I've spoken to. They've reached far and wide with some action, but nothing solid.

I don't mind a bridge loan, even with the interest rates the way they are.

Thank you in advance for for any information! 

1Reply
7 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Chris W.

    Do you have any other assets you can secure it against?

    What’s the value of the asset, and what’s the amount of the first lien?

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    What's the current LTV on your 1st? You can do seconds with a hard money loan as long as the CLTV is not over 65%. What is the exit strategy?

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Chris W.

    Do you have any other assets you can secure it against?

    What’s the value of the asset, and what’s the amount of the first lien?

    I have just my primary residence I purchased early 2022, but even at 90% LTV paying points the HELOC would not give me much, or are you saying also have another loan secured on my primary?

    $680,000 value and $175,000 owed. I bought it for $375,000 late October of 2021. I’d say that’s a decent ROI 👌. The appraisal left more than a few people including me speechless.
  • Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Erik Estrada:

    What's the current LTV on your 1st? You can do seconds with a hard money loan as long as the CLTV is not over 65%. What is the exit strategy?

    LTV is at about 26%. It’s purely a commercial office building. All the lenders I’m speaking with are avoiding office buildings…even hard money. 

    I'm retaining this property long term. The 7 story building directly across from me is undergoing a MAJOR renovation now. That will be another equity bump. I’m in a downtown area.
  • Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    Judging by the limited response here and by brokers/lenders.....I'm seeing my equity position look like nothing more than a cool appraisal and a sweet story.

  • Lender · Denton, TX · Member since 2023 · 349 posts · 80 votes
    3y

    I would recommend you call up a mortgage broker near you. A mortgage broker will usually have 30+ lenders they can call to ask for financing offers for you.

    I would say call one, give them your financing request(2nd position) and let them do a search for who is willing to lend. Once they provide you offers, compare and pick the one with with financing rate and terms more beneficial to you. Easier said than done but you can start there

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.