How have people structured partnerships?

How have people structured partnerships?

Garrett KeithPro Member
New to Real Estate · Dubuque, Dubuque Iowa · Member since 2026 · 33 posts · 18 votes

Hello everyone,

I have been doing some research into creative financing and specifically partnerships. I think they are one of a few options that really make sense for me and my goals. If you have had experience either on the capital side or management side of one of these deals and are willing to share what the terms were I would greatly appreciate it.

I am curious too if anyone who was on the management side of things added a buyout clause? I like the idea of me using other peoples money to buy properties, but I don't like the fact that in several scenarios I've seen the capital partner is a part of the deal until it is sold. I'd rather buy them out 3, 5, 10 years down the road so that I get full ownership and full profit.

Thanks!

2Reply
553 views

Most Popular Reply

Stuart UdisPro Member
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3w

The appropriate structure for a partnership depends heavily on the individuals involved, their respective skills and strengths, the asset class, the investment strategy and many other factors. It is important to understand each partner’s wants and needs and ensure that the partnership terms and overall strategy align with everyone’s objectives.

Regardless of how the partnership is structured, two ingredients are essential to its success: appropriate capitalization and adequate knowledge and expertise. No matter how strong the underlying real estate may be, it is extremely difficult for the partnership or the investment to perform well if either is missing. Undercapitalization creates pressure at every stage, while a lack of experience leads to avoidable mistakes, delays and unnecessary costs.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    3w
    Quote from @Garrett Keith:

    Hello everyone,

    I have been doing some research into creative financing and specifically partnerships. I think they are one of a few options that really make sense for me and my goals. If you have had experience either on the capital side or management side of one of these deals and are willing to share what the terms were I would greatly appreciate it.

    I am curious too if anyone who was on the management side of things added a buyout clause? I like the idea of me using other peoples money to buy properties, but I don't like the fact that in several scenarios I've seen the capital partner is a part of the deal until it is sold. I'd rather buy them out 3, 5, 10 years down the road so that I get full ownership and full profit.

    Thanks!

    I’ve only seen partnerships work if the active partner has extensive experience, knowledge, verifiable track record AND at least some $ in the deal. Otherwise capital providers are close relatives, who either are willing to write off their “investment” as a contribution to their favorite nephew’s education, or aren’t “close” anymore after the deal fails to produce the over optimistic results predicted by the inexperienced. 
    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
    • Garrett KeithPro Member
      OP
      New to Real Estate · Dubuque, Dubuque Iowa · Member since 2026 · 33 posts · 18 votes
      3w

      I am likely going to propose a partnership with my boss. He and I get along well and I knew him well before working with him. He is very reasonable and knows my family very well and vise versa. I am confident that he is a level headed individual. I would be the active partner, but I don't have a lot of experience. I have been learning and researching for a year or two now and have a good idea of what to expect and what I need to have set before investing in another property. You said you recommend at least some money in the deal for the active partner. Where do you recommend the active partner put that capital? And how much?

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3w

    The appropriate structure for a partnership depends heavily on the individuals involved, their respective skills and strengths, the asset class, the investment strategy and many other factors. It is important to understand each partner’s wants and needs and ensure that the partnership terms and overall strategy align with everyone’s objectives.

    Regardless of how the partnership is structured, two ingredients are essential to its success: appropriate capitalization and adequate knowledge and expertise. No matter how strong the underlying real estate may be, it is extremely difficult for the partnership or the investment to perform well if either is missing. Undercapitalization creates pressure at every stage, while a lack of experience leads to avoidable mistakes, delays and unnecessary costs.

    • Don KonipolBusiness Member
      Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
      3w
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      The appropriate structure for a partnership depends heavily on the individuals involved, their respective skills and strengths, the asset class, the investment strategy and many other factors. It is important to understand each partner’s wants and needs and ensure that the partnership terms and overall strategy align with everyone’s objectives.

      Regardless of how the partnership is structured, two ingredients are essential to its success: appropriate capitalization and adequate knowledge and expertise. No matter how strong the underlying real estate may be, it is extremely difficult for the partnership or the investment to perform well if either is missing. Undercapitalization creates pressure at every stage, while a lack of experience leads to avoidable mistakes, delays and unnecessary costs.


      “ Regardless of how the partnership is structured, two ingredients are essential to its success: appropriate capitalization and adequate knowledge and expertise.”


      The inexperienced always spend too much time and effort on form, and too little on substance. Years ago I was asked to lend capital to a deal where the 4 partners spent 5 months trying to decide on whether to operate under an LLC or S corp, as their option price on their subject property increased by $10,000 per month. They apparently eventually got the form "right", but paid $50k more for the property which was cash they brought to the closing table.

      Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3w
    i think what most people fail to recognize when they get into partnerships is understanding who is doing what but more importantly who is taking on the most risk. far too often i see people who may bring a deal to us and want us to take on the risk but have limited upside and they want most of the upside. we walk away from those deals quickly as it only makes sense for us if it is going to be a grand slam for us. i started out understanding this philosophy and gave up more than most would have to build a track record and a reputation. i knew that in 5 years from that time i would be in a very different position because of what i built and i've been fortunate to date that that has paid off for us.
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
    3w

    @Garrett Keith

    I am doing my first equity partnership for a single family fix and flips. We used 2 agreements. On the debt side we used a demand note to secure a second mortgage.

    1st JV Agreement to handle the movement of EMD funds, Ownership based on investment and what happens if the deal doesn't make it to closing.
    2nd JV Agreement to handle scope & capital Contributions, Dedicated Banking Accounts, Budgets and contingencies, Operating and Holding Cost, Reporting oversight, and Exit Strategies to include takeover rights if the deal doesn't sale is a specified amount of time.

    Demand Promissory Note. used to secured funds as second position debt on the property.

    Takeover rights clause is a "what if the deal goes bad" kinda measure. I don't understand the need to have a buyout clause wrote into the agreement "if the deal is going well". Also if you are able to buyout the partner's equity, would that put the deal in an adverse position at acquisition on your part?

    I would consider how the equity is factored. if its a 50/50 split, how do you give out 50% of the deal? 25% down and 1% per month with a ballon in 36-60 months? In the event you want to buy the partner out, but what if the partner was 100% of their equity?

    I underwrote a multifamily property in Louisville Ky that is in this exact position according to the broker. One of the partners want out and the asset isn't as profitable as the partnership had hoped at this point. The move would be to Bring some new capital and renovate but, they aren't together on that move. 25% down on acquisition + renovations cost would required almost 1.5-2mil to give the property a chance to be profitable again.

    I think wanting more ownership should be saved for your next deal because buying the partner out may not be worth the squeeze. Use it as a stepping stone but thats just how I see it.

  • Investor · Pacific Northwest · Member since 2026 · 65 posts · 16 votes
    2w

    Dave Meyer said it best in the Start With Strategy book—it's a triangle of skill, time, or capital. Effective partnerships bring any one or two of the three. In my experience, partnerships can work great if everyone's contributing. I would recommend an equal split among partners, with exceptions tied to performance or lack there of so that way, it is predetermined to redistribute the earnings or ownership, depending on whether or not what was agreed to had come to fruition.

  • Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
    Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 301 posts · 95 votes
    2w

    @Garrett Keith Partnerships can work well if the terms are clear upfront. A buyout clause makes sense if your goal is full ownership; consider setting specific buyout windows, such as years 3, 5, or 10, with a defined valuation method based on an appraisal, equity, or an agreed return on the capital partner’s investment. Also clarify cash-flow splits, decision-making authority, and how the buyout will be funded. Have a real estate attorney and tax professional review the agreement before closing. Best of luck finding the right partner and structuring a deal that supports your long-term goals!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.