Is there a definitive book on using LLC's for real estate purposes?

Is there a definitive book on using LLC's for real estate purposes?

Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes

The title says it all. I'm looking for a highly recommended book on the use of LLC's specific to real estate. I saw this one on Amazon with 4.5 stars but figured I'd ask here because I trust the BP consensus more.

The Real Estate Investor's Guide to Corporations, LLC's, and Asset Protection Entities, by Richard T Williamson.

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Mark S.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
12y

Hey @Brant Richardson ,

I'm interested in responses to your question. I just finished Nolo's book today on starting your own LLC. It was informative, but not exactly what I was looking for. It briefly mentions holding real estate in an LLC, but not the type of book we're looking for.

@Ali Boone posted a link on one of the recent forum posts with a link to her article on utilizing an LLC to hold rental real estate. As she stated in her post, the comments under the article are insightful, too.

I'm not sure what your situation is, but for me, I plan to use leverage and have mortgages on my properties. There are two major reasons I've come across so far that would make it unlikely I'll go the LLC route:

1.) The due-on-sale clause: I don't want the lender to call the entire loan due immediately because I move a property from my personal name to the LLC.

2.) Financing: It sounds nearly impossible for the LLC to get loans directly.

There are other considerations, too, but these are the big ones for me. It looks like I'll probably just get a huge umbrella liability policy.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rehabber · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2013 · 864 posts · 510 votes
    12y

    I dont know that book, but I'm a fan of Dyches Boddiford's stuff. His website is www.assets101.com

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
    12y

    Hey @Brant Richardson ,

    I'm interested in responses to your question. I just finished Nolo's book today on starting your own LLC. It was informative, but not exactly what I was looking for. It briefly mentions holding real estate in an LLC, but not the type of book we're looking for.

    @Ali Boone posted a link on one of the recent forum posts with a link to her article on utilizing an LLC to hold rental real estate. As she stated in her post, the comments under the article are insightful, too.

    I'm not sure what your situation is, but for me, I plan to use leverage and have mortgages on my properties. There are two major reasons I've come across so far that would make it unlikely I'll go the LLC route:

    1.) The due-on-sale clause: I don't want the lender to call the entire loan due immediately because I move a property from my personal name to the LLC.

    2.) Financing: It sounds nearly impossible for the LLC to get loans directly.

    There are other considerations, too, but these are the big ones for me. It looks like I'll probably just get a huge umbrella liability policy.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    12y

    Numerous authors have written books on it such as Garrett Sutton. Don't forget that when choosing an entity be sure to research and secure professional advice on the laws of the state that your business operates in as well as in the state that your Articles of Incorporation / Organization is registered should you choose DE or NV.

    Kudos,

    Mary

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y
    Brant,

    You don't need a book just to ask your questions here and explain what your intent is and someone will help you.

    Joe Gore
  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    12y

    At this point my questions would be too broad, I don't want to waste anybodies time with a question I could easily answer after a little reading. I need more knowledge before I can ask anything specific.
    I'm trying to figure out the best overall strategy to maximize tax advantages, minimize liability, etc.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.