Seeking tax strategist for growing portfolio

Seeking tax strategist for growing portfolio

Rental Property Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Thanks to a lot of great information here, my wife and I have grown our RE portfolio to a point where it probably doesn’t make sense for me to be using TurboTax anymore. We both have high paying W2 jobs and our tax liability is substantial (~$200K). While I enjoy accounting and learning about tax law, I’m realizing that it’s not the best use of my time and I’m likely not taking advantage of the strategies that exist to reduce our tax burden. 

I have spoken to some notable local accounting firms including ones that my wife’s business use and they all seem too conservative. Their goal seem to be to avoid audits. My goal is to lower our tax liability to the fullest extent of the law. I have successfully defended against an IRS audit so my risk tolerance is high on this front. 

Going forward, our plans are to continue to acquire rental properties. We have never sold anything and don’t intend to. My wife will continue her job (she’s a physician) and I will likely transition to managing our RE portfolio full time (I do all the property management today already). In “retirement”, I will likely do some consulting gigs and participate in ventures that I’m passionate about. One day, I would also like to justify the cost of airplane ownership :) 

Any leads or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! We are in VA and the properties are in CT.

Thank you!

1Reply
31 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    You'll want to find a CPA that has clients similar to you - or where you plan to be.

    Have tried using CPAs that talk a good game, but unless they are really into real estate investor clients, they always come up lacking.

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    @George Xu

    This very forum features 20+ tax accountants specializing in real estate taxation. Browse the forum and reach out to the experts you like based on their posts. Beware that at this point of the year some of us are full and not taking new clients for this year.

  • Lance LvovskyPro Member
    Accountant · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 753 votes
    3y

    There is a fine line with good tax planning and good tax presentation. Often times a tax position you make take on a tax return can seem aggressive if presentation is not correct. Taking aggressive tax positions as allowed under the tax law should be something you seek out and also make sure you have good tax presentation. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    If your plan is to be more involved in real estate with you already self-managing the property, I think real estate professional status should be considered.

    This would give you a lot more flexibility in regards to being able to reduce your taxable income.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.