Bonus Depreciation with primary residence/room rentals

Bonus Depreciation with primary residence/room rentals

Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes

I am doing some research to explore if you can do a Bonus Depreciation on a home you reside in and rent out (half the home) on Airbnb to traveling professionals. 

And would doing this be worth it / Looking to reinvest return into a new rental property. 

Thoughts? 

1Reply
73 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael PlaksPro Member
Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Kaylea Blackburn:

@Basit Siddiqi I am aware of 280A limits. How would it impact me in this case? 


I don't think you are, actually. Section 280A prohibits you from taking a loss on a mixed-use property which yours is. Since you cannot take a loss anyway, bonus depreciation is useless. All it does is  it increases the loss that you cannot take. 

$25,000 exception is irrelevant here, because Section 280A stops the loss entirely.

The quote from Pub. 527 is also irrelevant. IRS Publications are full of errors and do not carry any legal weight. This is a typical example where an IRS publication misinterprets the law, albeit in your favor. Section 280A does indeed have an exception for a "portion of a unit which is used exclusively as a hotel, motel, inn, or similar establishment."  

However, the interpretation of this phrase given in Pub. 527 is (unfortunately) wrong. The real definition can be found in Regulations 1.469-1T and numerous court decisions on this issue. The key is providing "substantial personal services similar to hotels" - i.e. daily maid services, meals etc. Merely renting out a room is not a "hotel", contrary to what Pub. 527 implies.

Bottom line: bonus depreciation is useless for renting out rooms.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 552 votes
    2y

    Hey Kalyea, its going to be tough to get bonus depreciation on a primary residence. If you were able to prove material participation and use the short-term rental loophole, you may have other tax savings you can take advantage of. This is only possible if you rent out the home primarily as a rental. checkout this write-up I did on the short-term loophole to learn more: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/617/topics/1161394-call...

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    @Account Closed thanks for sharing the article. Very informative. 

    I don’t believe I qualify for the STL. However I do fall under the lower income exception.

    I rent half the home to traveling nurses who are booking for 3 month stays at the moment. I am the main manager and spent at least 250hrs on it this year. 

    “Limited losses allowed for landlords with modest incomes. If your total income (combined for spouses) is under $100k, you can offset up to $25k of it. If your income is over $150k, you can offset nothing. Between $100k and $150k, the $25k ceiling is phased out in a straight line” 

    Maybe bonus depreciation isn’t the right route? 

  • Accountant · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 552 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kaylea Blackburn:

    @Account Closed thanks for sharing the article. Very informative. 

    I don’t believe I qualify for the STL. However I do fall under the lower income exception.

    I rent half the home to traveling nurses who are booking for 3 month stays at the moment. I am the main manager and spent at least 250hrs on it this year. 

    “Limited losses allowed for landlords with modest incomes. If your total income (combined for spouses) is under $100k, you can offset up to $25k of it. If your income is over $150k, you can offset nothing. Between $100k and $150k, the $25k ceiling is phased out in a straight line” 

    Maybe bonus depreciation isn’t the right route? 


     Thank you for the additional context Kaylea. That is correct, bonus depreciation likely is not for you. The limited losses clause you pointed to can help offset some income, which in your situation seems to be best. I would have to have one of our tax professionals take a look to advise for certain tho :) typical accountant answer I know :P 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    You want to be aware of the limtations of 280A which limits a business that is conducted from your personal residence.

  • Nate MeekerBusiness Member
    Real Estate CPA | California · Member since 2020 · 543 posts · 251 votes
    2y

    @Kaylea Blackburn It is possible. IRS Pub 527 states "Example. You rent a room in your home that is always available for short-term occupancy by paying customers. You don’t use the room yourself and you allow only paying customers to use the room. This room is used solely as a hotel, motel, inn, or similar establishment and isn’t a dwelling unit." 

    The CPA Realtor 569 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    @Basit Siddiqi I am aware of 280A limits. How would it impact me in this case? 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nate Meeker:

    @Kaylea Blackburn It is possible. IRS Pub 527 states "Example. You rent a room in your home that is always available for short-term occupancy by paying customers. You don’t use the room yourself and you allow only paying customers to use the room. This room is used solely as a hotel, motel, inn, or similar establishment and isn’t a dwelling unit." 


    In my case, I am renting as a mid-term rental. Does this make a difference, due to it not being classified as short term?

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kaylea Blackburn:

    @Basit Siddiqi I am aware of 280A limits. How would it impact me in this case? 


    I don't think you are, actually. Section 280A prohibits you from taking a loss on a mixed-use property which yours is. Since you cannot take a loss anyway, bonus depreciation is useless. All it does is  it increases the loss that you cannot take. 

    $25,000 exception is irrelevant here, because Section 280A stops the loss entirely.

    The quote from Pub. 527 is also irrelevant. IRS Publications are full of errors and do not carry any legal weight. This is a typical example where an IRS publication misinterprets the law, albeit in your favor. Section 280A does indeed have an exception for a "portion of a unit which is used exclusively as a hotel, motel, inn, or similar establishment."  

    However, the interpretation of this phrase given in Pub. 527 is (unfortunately) wrong. The real definition can be found in Regulations 1.469-1T and numerous court decisions on this issue. The key is providing "substantial personal services similar to hotels" - i.e. daily maid services, meals etc. Merely renting out a room is not a "hotel", contrary to what Pub. 527 implies.

    Bottom line: bonus depreciation is useless for renting out rooms.

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    2y

    @Michael Plaks bringing it with this post!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.