Rental Property Investor · New Britain, CT · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 12 votes
Moving to Norwich CT with my first house. Getting into realtor and landholding need a good CPA that knows all the real estate laws and loopholes going forward.
Real Estate CPA | California · Member since 2020 · 543 posts · 251 votes
2y
@Mark Bascetta congratulations on your first home! It is always a great idea to plan ahead; my goal as a CPA is to save my clients more money than I charge them. If I were you, I would reach out to a few CPAs (regardless of their location as what's more crucial is their expertise in REI), and pick the one that best aligns with your financial goals. Happy taxes!
Moving to Norwich CT with my first house. Getting into realtor and landholding need a good CPA that knows all the real estate laws and loopholes going forward.
@Mark Bascetta There are a number of competent tax professionals commenting on the forums here. Pick a few and message them to see who will work best with you. Good luck!
As accountants on BP we cannot promote ourselves directly.
Also, for house hacks generally, you cannot write off any % of your mortgage since it's your primary residence.
To help you in your search: be sure to find an accountant who is willing to grow with you, and is not too high priced fee-wise. Not too low either, you don't want to go with someone who is just focused on price as this is a quality of a not-so-great accountant. Accountants are in such demand, that the best are not even accepting clients half the time.
The other problem I see often with accountants on here is that they specialize in larger investors, and have really high prices when you as a smaller investor do not need all the bells and whistles.
Another thing I see is folks thinking they need to have a tax professional in their state. We as a firm have investors working with us who have rental properties all over the US big and small.
Finding a real estate-focused tax professional and one who can help with advisory and grow with you would be my suggestion to focus your efforts on finding. Best of luck in your search!
Real Estate CPA | California · Member since 2020 · 543 posts · 251 votes
2y
@Mark Bascetta congratulations on your first home! It is always a great idea to plan ahead; my goal as a CPA is to save my clients more money than I charge them. If I were you, I would reach out to a few CPAs (regardless of their location as what's more crucial is their expertise in REI), and pick the one that best aligns with your financial goals. Happy taxes!