Strategy: Depreciate or demolish?

Strategy: Depreciate or demolish?

Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 3 votes

Hello everyone. 

I'm purchasing (first time CRE) some property in Texas that has been rezoned from residential to commercial. It still has an older home and very large storage shed / hanger in the back. My initial plan was to demo both structures ASAP, but now wondering if keeping the structures for a bit has "value" from a depreciation / tax perspective? I will eventually need to demo them to prepare for a new office/mixed-use development, but perhaps I wait until 2026? Current assessed/taxable value of property for 2025 is around $550,000 total ($400k land + $150k improvements).

0Reply
139 views

Most Popular Reply

Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y

@Bryan Johns Yes, holding off on demolition could create meaningful short-term tax advantages if you depreciate the existing structures before tearing them down. Since the improvements (home and shed) are valued at $150,000, you could start depreciating them now, generating deductions that offset income—especially useful in a high-tax year.

Here’s how it typically works:

  • If you place the property in service (e.g., rent it out, use it temporarily), you can begin depreciation on the structure.
  • Later, when you demolish the buildings, you would write off the remaining undepreciated basis as a loss—but only if the property was used in a business or income-producing activity before demo.
  • If you demo right away without placing it in service, you lose depreciation benefits and must capitalize the demolition costs into the basis of the new development.

So, waiting until 2026 to demolish may allow you to claim depreciation in 2025 and potentially deduct the remaining basis upon demo. This could be especially valuable if you expect meaningful income in 2025.

This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    Your deduction won’t go up even if the value goes up. Your cost basis has already been set. A tax deduction today is worth more than one next year, assuming equal income each year. 

    Your insurance could/should go down along with your property taxes so I’d tear it down. Unless you’re using why not limit your liability. 

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Bryan Johns Yes, holding off on demolition could create meaningful short-term tax advantages if you depreciate the existing structures before tearing them down. Since the improvements (home and shed) are valued at $150,000, you could start depreciating them now, generating deductions that offset income—especially useful in a high-tax year.

    Here’s how it typically works:

    • If you place the property in service (e.g., rent it out, use it temporarily), you can begin depreciation on the structure.
    • Later, when you demolish the buildings, you would write off the remaining undepreciated basis as a loss—but only if the property was used in a business or income-producing activity before demo.
    • If you demo right away without placing it in service, you lose depreciation benefits and must capitalize the demolition costs into the basis of the new development.

    So, waiting until 2026 to demolish may allow you to claim depreciation in 2025 and potentially deduct the remaining basis upon demo. This could be especially valuable if you expect meaningful income in 2025.

    This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
    • Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 3 votes
      1y
      @Ashish Acharya:

      @Bryan Johns Yes, holding off on demolition could create meaningful short-term tax advantages if you depreciate the existing structures before tearing them down. Since the improvements (home and shed) are valued at $150,000, you could start depreciating them now, generating deductions that offset income—especially useful in a high-tax year.

      Here’s how it typically works:

      • If you place the property in service (e.g., rent it out, use it temporarily), you can begin depreciation on the structure.
      • Later, when you demolish the buildings, you would write off the remaining undepreciated basis as a loss—but only if the property was used in a business or income-producing activity before demo.
      • If you demo right away without placing it in service, you lose depreciation benefits and must capitalize the demolition costs into the basis of the new development.

      So, waiting until 2026 to demolish may allow you to claim depreciation in 2025 and potentially deduct the remaining basis upon demo. This could be especially valuable if you expect meaningful income in 2025.

      This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

      Thank you for this response. I somehow missed it but just came across. 

      Given the bonus depreciation back at 100%, does keeping these structures and putting them into service as a storage rental business (for another business of mine) make sense? The 2025 appraised value on improvements is $250k, with taxes estimated at about $12k.
  • Julius VincentBusiness Member
    Tax Strategist | CPA, MBA + Wharton FP&A | CFO-Level Planning · Houston, TX · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 172 votes
    1y

    Hey @Bryan Johns - I agree with others that there could absolutely be short-term tax value in putting the structures into service before demolition.

    If you use the property (even temporarily) in an active trade or business (like storage rental to another business you own) then the structures may qualify as depreciable assets, and with 100% bonus depreciation now back in effect (under the new law for properties acquired after Jan 19, 2025), you could potentially write off a large portion of that $250K improvement value in year one.

    The key is that the structures need to be placed in service (i.e., actively used in a business) before you demo them. Once demoed, you lose the ability to depreciate. So even if it’s just for a year or two, using the buildings as temporary storage or workspace could unlock meaningful deductions.

    There are a few caveats, like making sure the use is legitimate, tracking any related-party transactions properly, and planning for potential depreciation recapture if the property is later sold. But the savings can be well worth it.

    Horizon Wealth & Tax Advisors510 Reviews
    • Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 3 votes
      1y

      Actually, I think I'm confusing something here and maybe this isn't as good as I hoped... Since I purchased the property this year for $350,000, then that is my total basis. I would then need to calculate the depreciable portion for just the structure that I am planning to put back into service. Could I use the county appraised value (non-homesite improvements vs land) to get that? 

      Or would I only be able to depreciate improvements that I did on the structure to put it into service?

    • Julius VincentBusiness Member
      Tax Strategist | CPA, MBA + Wharton FP&A | CFO-Level Planning · Houston, TX · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 172 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Bryan Johns:

      Actually, I think I'm confusing something here and maybe this isn't as good as I hoped... Since I purchased the property this year for $350,000, then that is my total basis. I would then need to calculate the depreciable portion for just the structure that I am planning to put back into service. Could I use the county appraised value (non-homesite improvements vs land) to get that? 

      Or would I only be able to depreciate improvements that I did on the structure to put it into service?


      You're on the right track. And yes, your total basis is what you paid for the property ($350K), not the county’s assessed value. But you can often use the county’s land vs. improvement split as a reasonable method for allocating that purchase price between land (non-depreciable) and building (depreciable).

      So for example, if the county shows the value breakdown as $100K land and $250K improvements (on a total value of $350K), you can apply that same ratio to your actual purchase price. In that case, about 71% of your $350K basis (or approx. $248K) could be allocated to the structures and potentially depreciated.

      You don't only get to depreciate improvements you made. As long as the building has remaining useful life and is placed into service in a business, then that allocated portion is eligible for depreciation. And with 100% bonus depreciation back, you might be able to write off a large chunk of that in year one (if used actively and placed in service this year or under the new 2025 rules).

      Let me know if you want to walk through an example or talk through whether bonus depreciation or Section 179 is the better fit for your setup. 

      Horizon Wealth & Tax Advisors510 Reviews
    • Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 3 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Julius Vincent:

      Thank you so much for the info. I will send you an email to discuss more. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    1y

    Ashish's posts here are AI generated.  He's been caught doing it over and over but for whatever reason he hasn't been banned yet.  When you see AI content here, click the "..." and then Report Abuse. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    OP.  Maybe I’ll write a post so good some day and people think I’m AI.

    Your objective is to get the land value as low as possible.  Your $400k above you want lower.  Pictures help.  But try to cut the land up into as many cost types as possible.   This may then allow you to write off some of the “Land” costs.   
    Driveway

    Culvert or entrance

    Fence

    Landscape

    Storm ponds or sewers.

    Water, sewer, fire hydrants, etc

    Signage

    Security system

    Lighting

    Permitting

    Etc etc.  

    You want to squeeze that $400k of land value.  So you can write it off.  Check with your accountant to make sure you can use it.  

    Ask them if appraisals will help you.  Normally for this small amount and your wanting to demo I would say don’t do a cost segregation.  But you might get someone to help strip the “Land” cost out.  

    • Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 3 votes
      1y

      Thank you. No "driveway" as it is just a gravel road, but the other stuff should qualify.

    • Henry ClarkPro Member
      Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Bryan Johns:

      Thank you. No "driveway" as it is just a gravel road, but the other stuff should qualify.


      Our gravel road was $200k.  Just depends on length and prep work.  Even a small gravel road is $10,000 for prep work and gravel.  Just need to chip away at the Land value of $400k.   

    • Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 3 votes
      1y

      Thank you. The county recently assessed the value at $350k, which is the same that I paid for it. Their split was $130k improvements and $220k land. Will whoever does the cost seg factor that in? Or do I need an actual appraisal?

      If I try to do this myself, is my starting point for bonus depreciation $130k minus building structure? Or do I start at $0 and add elements until there's nothing left?

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    OP. Forget everything but the land since you plan to demolish it. You want to find cost comparisons on the land.   Preferably that show it is lower.  I would also have someone

    Look at the land.  In this post it helps if you add some

    Pictures.  Means more ideas. 

  • Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    I actually am now planning to keep the building and put it into service as a storage rental (for another business of mine). I wouldn't not plan to demolish it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.