Looking for real estate CPA (Utah/multi-state investor)

Looking for real estate CPA (Utah/multi-state investor)

Member since 2026 · 1 post · 2 votes

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for referrals to a CPA who specializes in working with real estate investors.

I currently own a rental property in Cedar City, Utah and land in Teton County, Idaho, and I’m structuring now for a multi-state real estate portfolio. I haven’t filed my most recent tax return yet and want to make sure everything is set up correctly from the start - including Schedule E reporting, depreciation strategy, and proper entity timing.

I plan to operate this as a real estate business (not just a personal tax return) and will be forming an LLC for my portfolio this year, so I'm looking for someone who can advise on both tax strategy and entity structure as I scale into additional properties.

If you have a CPA you personally use and trust for your rental properties, I would really appreciate any referrals.

Thank you!

Nicole Leverenz

2Reply
159 views

Most Popular Reply

Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7mo

There's a lot of great CPAs on here. I'd recommend taking a look who's active in the forums and reaching out to a few people. You can also use the find a tax pro feature in BP or also ask local investors to your area who they use. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7mo
    My recommendation is to search here on BiggerPockets as there are several in this group specifically who you could reach out to.
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    There's a lot of great CPAs on here. I'd recommend taking a look who's active in the forums and reaching out to a few people. You can also use the find a tax pro feature in BP or also ask local investors to your area who they use. 

  • Accountant · Long Island, NY · Member since 2021 · 184 posts · 148 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Nicole Leverenz:

    Hi everyone,

    I’m looking for referrals to a CPA who specializes in working with real estate investors.

    I currently own a rental property in Cedar City, Utah and land in Teton County, Idaho, and I’m structuring now for a multi-state real estate portfolio. I haven’t filed my most recent tax return yet and want to make sure everything is set up correctly from the start - including Schedule E reporting, depreciation strategy, and proper entity timing.

    I plan to operate this as a real estate business (not just a personal tax return) and will be forming an LLC for my portfolio this year, so I'm looking for someone who can advise on both tax strategy and entity structure as I scale into additional properties.

    If you have a CPA you personally use and trust for your rental properties, I would really appreciate any referrals.

    Thank you!

    Nicole Leverenz


     Absolutely many trustworthy real estate CPAs here on BP. Most will allow you to book an intro call with them to discuss services. Definitely make sure they serve all 50 states and have a good reputation.

  • Accountant · Columbus, OH · Member since 2024 · 27 posts · 19 votes
    7mo

     Hi Nicole,

    There are many great tax professionals on the forums. Given that you have multi-state filings it's awesome you are proactively looking for someone knowledgeable.

    I'm happy to answer any questions!

  • Investor · Saint George, UT · Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6mo

    Hey Nicole,

    I currently own a property in St. George and am looking to expand. I was a police officer in Cedar City for quite some time. I would love to pick your brain about the market out there. Regarding your question. I currently file with Insurance and More on Sunset in St. George. The owner has experience working with real estate investors with rental income and Small Business Owners. If you’re filing on your own, I’d strongly recommend connecting with a CPA as soon as possible. If you already have a CPA and you like working with them, I’d encourage you to stick with them. Owning your primary residence in St. George along with properties in Iron County and Idaho shouldn’t be an issue unless your CPA lacks experience with real estate in general. A good CPA will recommend you to someone else if your portfolio is beyond their capability.  

    From your post, it sounds like your main concern is timing and transferring ownership of your properties into an LLC for liability protection. That's really more questions for a real estate attorney rather than a CPA. A Lawyer will be able to let you know what type of LLC will give you the best protection and how to properly transfer ownership of each property. A common strategy I have seen with investors is they have a LLC for each property while other have a Series LLC that umbrellas and covers each property. Not only can the lawyer provide you sound advice for what structure is best for you in specific but they can help you form each LLC. This is important for your out of state properties for the process might slightly vary. Lastly, by seeking a good real estate attorney to will be able to provide Real Estate Investor friendly CPA referrals and Estate Managers.

    Personally, I prefer working with a local, brick and mortar CPA and value building a relationship, which is why I’d suggest sticking with your current CPA and taking more of a hybrid approach with a lawyer. If you’re considering an online Real Estate CPA, there are some good resources out there to research who’s reputable especially on this website. Wishing you the best as you grow your portfolio hope this helps!

    -Kind Regards

  • CPA| New Clients Welcome| 50 States · Member since 2016 · 430 posts · 93 votes
    6mo

    @Nicole Leverenz, hi. Great timing to get this structured right from the start.

    With multi-state properties (UT + ID), you'll want to plan for state filings, depreciation strategy, and entity timing together, not separately. Also, LLC setup should align with tax elections and long-term scaling, not just liability.

    Most investors miss:

    • Multi-state compliance early on
    • Proper depreciation setup (incl. cost seg timing)
    • When an LLC actually makes sense tax-wise

    Happy to connect.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.