Taxes for Out of State Rental

Taxes for Out of State Rental

Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 5 votes

I live in California and have a rental out in Ohio. Both this year and last the property has  created a tax loss. Last year I payed an accountant to do my taxes but this year I decided to do them myself. The accountant charged me extra for filing in Ohio. Having just filled out the Ohio tax form on my own I noticed in the instructions that you don't even have to file if your exemption amount is the same as or greater than your Ohio adjusted gross income. Based on my interpretation of the form, if you aren't making money in Ohio your exemption amount will always be the same or higher than your Ohio income (i.e. if you aren't making money in Ohio, you don't have to file in Ohio).  

Was the accountant just charging me for unnecessary work or is there a reason to file if you don't have to? I've already filled out this year's forms so it would be no trouble for me to send them in at this point. Should I do that?

0Reply
21 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2014 · 733 posts · 155 votes
    11y

    There are a lot of missing details in this scenario but many options exist to file taxes yourself through Turbotax, H&R Block, & much more....

    Usually these sites will automatically transfer your details from the federal to the state you are filing and that saves a lot of time.  I personally use Turbotax but I think next year I will hire an accountant because my taxes will be more complex with all the real estate investing I have going on.  

    I think these sites charge a small fee to file state taxes but as you indicated...you may not even be required.  You can prepare your own return and see for yourself if you are required to file for Ohio.  The sites will let you get as far as up to the submit button on the taxes before you must pay to file.  This is convenient to allow you to gauge your situation.

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Good idea. I've reached my threshold for filling out forms for today but maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

  • Real Estate Investor · Norwalk, CA · Member since 2011 · 118 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    I live in CA and have properties in Ohio. I  use Tax Act to do my own taxes and due to on paper losses I did not have to file an Ohio tax return for the last two years. I did have to fill a CA return since my husband had income here. Tax Act walks you thru the process and let's you know if you must file then if/when you have to file in 2 states ( in this case CA and Ohio) it gives you the forms for both. You do have to pay to file the state returns so it costs extra for filling the additional state form.

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.