Recommendations for Tax Preparation in Portland, OR

Recommendations for Tax Preparation in Portland, OR

Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 16 votes

I'm looking for recommendations for a tax preparer in the Portland, OR, area, who is savvy with investment property. I was an owner-occupant of a duplex in 2015, but I converted it to a full rental and bought a new primary residence, and all of these details are just too much of a headache to try to feed through TurboTax. I'm also interested in the new safe harbor/de minimis rules. 

Any investors out there have a great CPA they can send my way? 

1Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Lynn MontangPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 23 votes
10y

I too am looking for exactly the same.  We were just informed at the end of Dec that our accountant was no longer practicing.  Looking for tax accountant with investment property savviness!  

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lynn MontangPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 23 votes
    10y

    I too am looking for exactly the same.  We were just informed at the end of Dec that our accountant was no longer practicing.  Looking for tax accountant with investment property savviness!  

  • Investor · Hillsboro, OR · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 35 votes
    10y

    I recommend 

    http://www.yelp.com/biz/stephen-l-barkley-cpa-port...

    I've been using his services for several years, my taxes have gotten very complicated over the years and I wouldn't use anyone else. Make your list of questions and things you'd like to explore and he's a real champ

    my 2 c

    please let him know I sent you his way, thanks

  • Investor · Newberg, OR · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    I use Shannon Moxley out of Tigard (you can google her or PM me for contact info) she has been good for us.

    Evan 

  • Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Thank you guys for all the tips. 

    @David C. I met with Stephen Barkley and he seems pretty solid. Thanks for the lead. I mentioned "David C. from Hillsboro" but he didn't recognize you without your last name :) 

  • Logan AllecBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
    10y

    Definitely look for CPAs who are real estate investors themselves.  They know where you're coming from.

    Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
  • Investor · Hillsboro, OR · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 35 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tara Ballenger:

    Thank you guys for all the tips. 

    @David C. I met with Stephen Barkley and he seems pretty solid. Thanks for the lead. I mentioned "David C. from Hillsboro" but he didn't recognize you without your last name :) 

     Hey Tara, I'm glad it went well. I keep my last name off here to try and remain a bit google proof! Steve is a great guy honest, hard working, knows his stuff. I've really learned it's best to work with the best =)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    lots of good CPA's in Portland area.. when you find one stick with them. I think that is critical.. especially if your audited if they have been doing your work for many years they will be easly able to defeat an audit.  speaking from experience I was audited 3 times in 6 years.. never once talk to IRS and my guy handled it for less than 1k each time.

    been with him 22 years.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.