When both parties are in default and one threatens legal action..

When both parties are in default and one threatens legal action..

Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes

Ok, the long and short of it is this:

My husband and I were under contract for a SFH. During that time we submitted a repair addendum and the seller agreed to it in full.

In the meantime, we were getting our loan finalized.  The seller said he would not start repairs until our loan was approved.  We had to file for an extension on the closing date because we defaulted on getting all documentation to our lender.  On Friday, Feb 19th, the seller said that all repairs were completed, which we thought was odd since we didn't get our loan approved by the original closing date of Th, Feb 18th.  So this was a short time of getting lots of repairs done (including a brand new roof).  When the seller countered our extension, he asked us to make a decision by 5pm on Saturday, Feb 20th.  We were fine with that pending the results of our re-inspection.

We had the property re-inspected at 11am on Saturday, Feb 20th, specifically for the repair addendum items.  Roughly 50% of the repairs were done, at best.  This includes the roof he said he would replace but only about 25% of the work was done.  Therefore, we did not respond to the seller by 5pm on Feb 20th deadline.  Instead, we sent a termination and release of earnest money back to us.  If we trusted the seller to make the repairs correctly the first time and he didn't, shame on him.  We are not going to trust him to make the repairs a second time, then pay for a THIRD inspection. 

Today, the seller's agent is saying the seller is threatening legal action if we don't release the earnest money to the seller and pay any other possible damages because we aren't moving forward on buying the house.

I feel very confident that anyone could see how the seller didn't hold up his end of the repair addendum and we have an inspection report to prove it.  Its not just one thing, its numerous and glaringly obvious things that the seller perhaps hoped we would not catch.

However, I'll be the first to admit that my husband and I didn't have 100% of our documentation in to our lender by the closing date (we were about 99% complete).  BUT!  If the seller had fixed everything he promised to fix on the legally binding repair addendum with 100% accuracy and code compliance, we would have said yes in a heartbeat and we would be closing this week.

We have not gotten a letter from an attorney.  But I could see a judge saying something like, "Both of you defaulted.  You split the earnest money."  Then we will be going through a bunch of stress for nothing, for pride.

But, based on the information and perspective you may be able to provide, I may be able to see it in a different way that I have no idea about. 

This weekend I was at peace losing the earnest money and washing my hands of it.  My husband says, "F that S!  We're not giving our money to a seller who won't hold up his end of the deal."

I realize this was more "long" than "short" but thanks for reading all the way to the end!  I can't wait to hear what you all have to say.

0Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

Not a direct solution for you (sorry) but for those following:

  1. NEVER let the seller perform repairs or maintenance

They only have one motivation - - get to closing, so the work WILL be shoddy, substandard an perhaps not up to code.  All seller to get two bids, you supply the third and Y O U get to pick who does the repair, the invoice goes into escrow and paid from sellers funds.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Not a direct solution for you (sorry) but for those following:

    1. NEVER let the seller perform repairs or maintenance

    They only have one motivation - - get to closing, so the work WILL be shoddy, substandard an perhaps not up to code.  All seller to get two bids, you supply the third and Y O U get to pick who does the repair, the invoice goes into escrow and paid from sellers funds.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 512 posts · 338 votes
    10y

    A couple questions - what's the amount of the earnest money, and what is the approximate value to complete the remaining repairs (if you did them yourself or subbed them out)?

    If the repairs are less than the earnest money (or about the same even) you might as well just close on the property and be done, otherwise you need to consider the difference and whether it's worth your time to ask for an additional round of repairs and inspections.

    It sounds like you've learned a lot on this deal, and agree you should never let the Seller do repairs in the future as they will just use bailing wire and bubblegum as fixes.

    Let us know how you decide to proceed - I know this is frustrating.  Fighting it should be a last resort - the time, money, and stress is rarely worth it.

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    seller supplied a bid from a roofing company, I had a roofer give me a bid.  Seller decided to do the work himself and left out almost all the detail that was furnished in the original bid. :/

    The earnest money amount is $1000

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    if I had to estimate the repair work costs, it would be anywhere from $7000-$10000 if done by a licensed, insured professional.  Included in that is a brand new roof, foundation and electrical work.

  • Dana WhickerPro Member
    Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 557 posts · 374 votes
    10y

    The seller is repairing the roof themselves? Are they a roofing contractor by trade? If not, in most municipalities if you walk into the permitting office and say you are going to do your own roof, which you are often allowed to do as an owner-occupant only, they put you through the ringer to prove you know what you are doing before issuing the permit. Ask me how I know.

    If on the other hand, the seller did not pull a permit for the roof or the electrical work, it's a slam dunk that you're getting your EMD back.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 512 posts · 338 votes
    10y

    I guess your other option is to enforce specific performance (the TREC and TAR forms typically have that by default) - then the Seller would have to spend the money to fix the property correctly with associated permits, etc and you could close with the agreed price.

    Yes you would have to spend some money for re-inspections, but if you get copies of the permits pulled from the city and confirmation they were completed then the risk is lower.

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    The seller is performing Specific Performance on us... Why?

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 512 posts · 338 votes
    10y

    That seems idiotic on their part...then they will be responsible to do all the repairs correctly, which will cost them 7-10K as you said (they probably think they can get away without permitting).  If that's what they want then let them know what it will take for them to do it...

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    Just call the building inspector on them , then it is in the system if no permits were pulled . They will issue a stop work order , make them get permits and inspect the work .  They will then be asking you for an extention of the contract , which you decline and get your money back

  • Dana WhickerPro Member
    Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 557 posts · 374 votes
    10y

    If the seller gets specific performance, that means they have to abide by the letter of the contract. No court would let them get away with handyman style repairs with no permits. 

    This would be good for you. You would be getting the property you wanted, repaired correctly. At this point that does not seem likely.

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    After all the shoddy work the seller has done, we wouldn't want to give him our money for this house.

    Is Specific Performance from a seller to a buyer kinda like saying "get a move on and buy our house?"

  • Investor · Daphne, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 242 votes
    10y
    Have you talked to your lawyer? Good luck.
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 512 posts · 338 votes
    10y

    Yea specific performance from Seller is "I want you to close on my house even though you defaulted on the contract."  In this case it's in your best interest to make this as painful for them as possible - unfortunately you cannot just simply walk away from the deal if the contract allows the Seller to enforce it - I cross the sentence for that by Seller out on all my contracts so I can walk away regardless.

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    To add a bit more detail to this situation, the seller's agent sent us a counter to the extension of the closing date we applied for on Thursday, Feb 18th (original closing date) because we hadn't gotten final loan approval.  We received the counter to the extension with a paragraph stating we had until 5pm on Saturday to move forward or not.  And if we didn't, seller could keep earnest money.  At the same time but in a separate email, the seller delivered Specific Performance to us.  So, its almost like he may have hedged the bet on us walking away because he KNEW the work was half-*** and was hoping we wouldn't get the property re-inspected.  That's my assumption anyway.

    I'm going to see where it gets us to talk to the city's building permits department.  That may be a great option for us.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Depending on the size of the deposit and if there is any clear violation of contract would most likely determine if legal action is worth doing anything.( It sounds like both sides potentially violated timelines. ) That is how I would look at it.  No one ever truly wins in court and most instances aren't even worth the time and money to go there.  There might be some legal letters shot back and forth, but when it comes down to most situations, once it hits court, everyone loses.  

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 512 posts · 338 votes
    10y

    By the way e-mail is typically not considered an acceptable method of written delivery unless explicitly stated in the contract.  You can say, "Oh I didn't get it, it must have gone to someone else or in my spam." just like with USPS losing stuff.  They can also say the same for your delivery of the termination too though (I copy the title company too and get them to confirm receipt so usually not an issue there), so can be a double edged sword.

    If they are going to enforce Specific Performance against you then you should also enforce it against them to complete the contract as designed.  Good idea to get the city involved to make sure this clown doesn't skip anything.  Does you Repair Addendum state anything about quality of the work (e.g. work shall be permitted as required by the city, or in accordance with local regulations, etc.)?

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    No, the repair addendum is not that detailed and it doesn't state that the work should be done by a professional.  He supplied us with a bid from a third party roofer which detailed the entire SOW for the roof then he just did it himself.

    I've emailed the city about his building permits for roof, foundation, and electrical. 

    Even if we don't want the house, should we still deliver Specific Performance to him for the work just to cover our bases and to play hardball in a way?

  • Attorney · Winchester, VA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 387 votes
    10y

    This is a matter of Contract Law. For a full explanation of what "excuse of non-performance" and "mutual breach" mean in your particular jurisdiction, and what "material breach" means in your particular fact pattern, you MUST consult an attorney located in your state. Each state has their own rules and laws related to how contract defenses function. This is a matter of some complexity, and you are best served by addressing this with a lawyer.

    Although this is something I could probably answer with some ease, there are serious restrictions in most states in terms of who can provide *legal advice* to people. Find a locally barred attorney soon.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 512 posts · 338 votes
    10y

    If your goal is to get out of the house then the easiest offer to make to the Seller is to give them the earnest money and terminate the contract.

    All of your other options involve lots of time, and some money to get the transaction to close.  While I have never had specific performance enforced on me, I have heard that it's very difficult to enforce in Texas, but as @Matthew Kreitzer said a real estate attorney should be able to let you know your options.  I would only go that route if you cannot get out of the contract, and $1,000 is a small price to pay to get rid of this headache.  

    Consider it a crash course on real estate contracts, specific performance, and Seller repairs.  Well worth it in my opinion.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10y

    This is just bits and pieces probably of what actually occurred in the transaction up to this point. From what has been posted it seems like very inexperienced buyers and sellers.

    As mentioned when the seller sells they will do repairs ultra cheap to improve their net.

    1,000 earnest money frankly isn't a lot. You have to look at a few things.

    1. WHO is holding the earnest money per the contract?

    2. WHAT does the contract say if there is a dispute with the earnest money that can't be resolved? Is it interpleaded into a court of law?

    Attorneys charge hundreds of dollars per hour so you can kiss that EM goodbye if you go that route. Even if you win a judgment good luck collecting on that. By then you have spent thousands over trying to collect a thousand.

    A great attorney would tell you this is going to cost more to litigate than it is worth.

    If both sides screwed up it sounds like the best thing is to split it 500/500 and walk away  and call it a day. If you learned never to let the seller do repairs and it cost you 500 for that education you are lucky as it could have cost you tens of thousands of dollars.

    No legal advice given.  

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    thank you Joel, great perspective.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ashley Wolfe:

    After all the shoddy work the seller has done, we wouldn't want to give him our money for this house.

    Is Specific Performance from a seller to a buyer kinda like saying "get a move on and buy our house?"

    It sounds to me like you are getting emotional. You made a deal with them, which included them agreeing to do repairs. If they complete the repairs to reasonable levels of quality, you should proceed with buying the property per the contract. I have purchased property where I asked the seller to do work and it wasn't completed by closing, so we delayed closing. We didn't cancel the deal. You said he agreed to delay closing because you couldn't manage to get your paperwork together, so why wouldn't you delay to give him a chance to finish the repairs? Do you see my point? You had no issue asking for the repairs and no issue delaying it when you couldn't get your part done, yet when he is struggling to finish you get mad. 

    I would go back to the bargaining table and agree on a reasonable time period to finish the repairs and an impartial third party to verify it was done acceptable. You would be biased at this point because he will never be able to meet your standards. 

    Lesson I have learned from experience is ask for money off instead of having people do work. They will always do the bare minimum. Quality of work is subjective so unless you specified details of how the work should be completed, the court is not going to side with you.

    Disclaimer, I only have the facts you shared with me. I am assuming you posted here to get impartial opinions, so that is what I am trying to give.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Kreitzer:

    This is a matter of Contract Law. For a full explanation of what "excuse of non-performance" and "mutual breach" mean in your particular jurisdiction, and what "material breach" means in your particular fact pattern, you MUST consult an attorney located in your state. Each state has their own rules and laws related to how contract defenses function. This is a matter of some complexity, and you are best served by addressing this with a lawyer.

    Although this is something I could probably answer with some ease, there are serious restrictions in most states in terms of who can provide *legal advice* to people. Find a locally barred attorney soon.

    Two paragraphs to tell you basically nothing besides you need to hire a lawyer.

  • Attorney · Winchester, VA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 387 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    Two paragraphs to tell you basically nothing besides you need to hire a lawyer.

     Aside from having given the original poster the basic information needed to perform the legal research on their own should they decide not to hire an attorney. That is the extent to which I am legally allowed to answer questions of a legal nature in other jurisdictions, or anyone else for that matter. The correct answer to every legal inquiry on this website is "find a local attorney". Anything more than that would most likely constitute unauthorized practice of law.

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.