Milwaukee Property Tax 31% Increase in One Year?!

Milwaukee Property Tax 31% Increase in One Year?!

Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 234 votes

Just got my property tax bill and it went up 31%! This is for my primary residence. I don't have any rentals in Milwaukee because I was concerned of their high taxes. I haven't added any additions to the property. Has anyone locally challenge d their assessment?

0Reply
39 views

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Waianae, HI · Member since 2016 · 111 posts · 47 votes
    9y

     I read somewhere that property tax collections in 2016 grew in tandem with property value increases especially in southeastern Wisconsin. 

    One reason levies rose while rates fell is that the other piece in the tax equation — property values — rose 2% in 2015, according to the forum's annual property values and taxes report.

    It may even increase more as it still isn't back to the levels in 2008. The journal sentinels wrote: "Residential property values in southeast Wisconsin in 2016 still are 11% lower than their 2008 peak."

    The positive of this, is that you purchased and invested in a great location. In the long run it will pay off as you build your portfolio it maybe a great location rental.
  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    9y

    I think most peoples Property taxes went up in the State this year. Mine in the country in Oneida County went up almost $200 with the same assessed value, the mil rate went up. I have about half of my bills for my properties so far, and looks like they all went up so far.

  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 234 votes
    9y

    Mine went up $750...

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    For some of my properties the taxes went up and for some, they went down.

  • Investor · Menomonee Falls, WI · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Mine also went up, not 31% that's for sure, but enough that I will go and talk with the assessor next year. The problem I have is the assessed value is just so off it is ridiculous. I have in the past argued successfully to have my assessment lowered and therefore my property tax bill lowered and it wasn't as hard as I thought it might have been. 

    @William S. 31% is a pretty substantial jump where are you located in Milwaukee if you don't mine me asking?

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    Some are up, some down, but all changes are in the single digit percentage. I have succesfully challenged one tax assesment in the past based on the fact that the assest value was way out of line compared to the sales price of the home. Milwaukee County taxes are expensive.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    @William S. , when I lived in Madison, I successfully challenged my increases every year. I did it myself, providing documentation to back me up.

    Make sure they are assessing the right property. Do you really have all the beds/baths/sq ft they are assessing you? 

    WI is an open state - check out your neighbor's assessments too. 

    I can't remember if you can get a homeowners credit for taxes. Look into that as well. It's been 4 years since I lived there.

  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 234 votes
    9y

    @Mindy Jensen

    What are homeowners credits?

    Right now I'm putting together the following documents:

    • Recent solds
    • Neighborhood appreciation statistics?
    • Home owners insurance
      • I think the insurance company has a limit they will insure to on your home.
    • May get an appraisal later on:
      • I got an appraisal when I purchased the property. But I always feel those are not accurate. They always inflate it slightly above the purchase price so the sale goes through.

    Here is my home tax history:

    2016 Tax = $3,185.20

    2015 Tax = $2,431.88

    Assessment history:

    2016 = $113,600

    2015 = $85,600

    2014 = $85,600

    2013 = $82,300

    Keep in mind this is for a 2 bed, 1 bath home with no basement and 1 car garage detached. Seems outrageous for the type of home.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    @William S. , some states give homeowner tax credits. Maybe Homestead credits? If you own and live in the home, your tax is a little different than if you own but do not live in the home. I can't remember if WI does that or not.

    I do remember that the WI tax rate was one of the top reasons we moved. Mine was around 2% when I sold. Taxes and those never ending winters... 

    Good luck with your appeal. 

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Yes, homeowners get a "lottery and gaming" credit.

  • Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2012 · 242 posts · 61 votes
    9y
    In Madison tax rates stayed almost the same but the property values are going up like crazy - so thus taxes are too along with the values
  • Real Estate Investor · Plymouth, WI · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Just did a quick survey of this year's tax bills. I have no properties in Milwaukee county, but all of mine are down a bit this year. Which part of your tax bill went up? City or County? 

  • Investor · Monroe, WI · Member since 2015 · 691 posts · 610 votes
    9y

    I live in Green county and they passed a referendum for the local schools and taxes increased this year, nothing too bad, $100 on one property and $200 on another.

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    The taxes on almost all of my property didn't budge....Still waiting for two more assessment letters in the mail.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.