@Matt Millard @Stephen Thomas @Michael Plaks @Costin I.
There are few ways to lower your W-2 but plenty of ways to lower your taxable income. To get into the "drastically lower" area, you must meet certain minimum thresholds which is why I said "it depends."
If your taxable income is in excess of $157,501 if single and $315,000 if married filing joint, then I'd point you to a land conservation easement. You get a Sch A charitable deduction equal to a % of the basis you invested and drastically reduce your tax bill as a result.
For example, if I put $50k into a conservation easement, I'd get roughly a $225k charitable contribution deduction. As long as that deduction amount is less than 50% of my AGI, I can take the full amount of the deduction via Sch A. Assuming I'm in the 35% tax bracket, my $50k contribution yields $78,750 in fed tax savings and also more on the state level depending on the state.
That is one of several ways to drastically lower your tax bill. And it's all 100% legal and legit.
Of course, there are many aspects to a land conservation easement that must be considered prior to pulling the trigger, such as the fact that these are considered listed transactions, but if you're not willing to play ball, then you're stuck with your current tax situation.
There are all the small things that can be done as well such as HSA, 401(k), starting a biz and deducting the costs, etc etc. Often times you can do all of that without having a CPA on your team. We aim to save our clients a significant amount of money.
Hope that helps!
Besides CE, the “flip partnership” can be utilized where a W-2 employee can be an tax investor and use almost 100% tax credit.
As we have discussed, except for CE, there are few ways to drastically reduce w-2 income.