BP Bellevue WA referral // tax/ LLC/ advisor

BP Bellevue WA referral // tax/ LLC/ advisor

Bellevue, WA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 1 vote

I am about 1 year into investing remotely  ... I looked through some posts but  looking for some advice. Here is my situation...

I live in WA state and have a home, my primary. Seattle has exploded since I purchased  and that home has increased in value an incredible amount. I also have another weekender small home in Wa state. Both of these properties are financed from bank and all is good there.

I have 3 properties in Nashville that are all rental investments and 1 of which is financed.

My biggest concern is to protect my primary home so I went down the path of setting up an LLC. The effective date of the LLC was Jan 11, 2018 but it took me a while to get everything set up in Nashville so just recently the two financed investments there I transferred the titles into the LLC in Oct. I technically didn't get it set up in Nashville until that time.

I set up a bank account for the LLC and deposited $1000 into it but no other transactions have been made so far. Aka since it took me a while an waiting for paperwork to go through.

Finally to my question.... I am rethinking the idea of the LLC and just relying on insurance covering me if anything does happen. The costs of the LLC seem to be increasing at each step and the accountant wants $1500 to do my first return. Regardless of the amount I am reconsidering the LLC and seeking advice on either strategy. If anyone has a referral to someone that could help it would be amazing.

1- Should I dissolve the LLC and eat the money to set that up?

2- I do want to buy more non- local rentals and currently seeking / researching. 

3- if the amount of my primary gain is significant enough how can I protect against someone coming after it?

4- Since I "did" set this LLC up if I do not have any "business" with it what is the lowest cost form of accounting?

5- Can I put an LLC on hold until I decide without costs?

6- I appreciate any and all advice :) 

Thank you in advance.

Kris 

0Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    7y

    Is your LLC pass-thru (uses your SSN) or does it have its own EIN? You can always just do your own taxes. Turbo Tax is a good software.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Kristoffer Bergen

    1. This is prolly best left to an attorney. It does look like asset protection is important to you.

    2. There are many markets across the United States that foster cash-flow positive investments.

    3. This is prolly best left to an attorney.

    4. For you to get the benefits of the LLC; you need to treat it as a business(keep personal items out of the LLC). This may also require you to properly maintain the books and records.

    It looks like you have some activities with the LLC in 2018. Transferring titles to the LLC and depositing $1000 into an LLC bank account.

    5. Every state is different but there are normally costs to up-keep the LLC.
    The state may require you to pay an annual fee for the LLC.
    Furthermore, since the LLC is out of state, you may be required to have a registered agent in the state.

    6. Happy to help!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.