K-1 Income Negative, what to report to the state ?

K-1 Income Negative, what to report to the state ?

Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote

I am a California resident with a rental property in Kentucky.

My K-1 total from the property is negative, so I transfer that to my Kentucky non-resident state return. Which results in no tax due. This is my first time filing with a property, so I'd just thought I'd asked if that sounded correct. Thanks for your opinions.

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Kent Estep

    You should determine if you have a filing requirement in KY. Some states may not require a filing requirement depending on the states rules. They may have a filing threshold.
    You may want to file even if there is no filing threshold if the state has a NOL provision.

    No state income tax sounds about right if there is no income. You should determine if there is a minimum tax. otherwise no tax sounds about right. The question is if you filled the other parts of the return correctly(NOL carryforward(if any)).

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thank you. I did have income in the state---rental proceeds---but due to a fire, it tuned into a loss for the year.

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kent Estep:

    I am a California resident with a rental property in Kentucky.

    My K-1 total from the property is negative, so I transfer that to my Kentucky non-resident state return. Which results in no tax due. This is my first time filing with a property, so I'd just thought I'd asked if that sounded correct. Thanks for your opinions.

     That’s correct.

    Also did you check if they filed a composite return on your behalf. If they did, you don’t have any obligation to file. 

    If they didn’t file composite return, Kentucky requires non resident withholding as well. Your K-1 should show that if any tax was withheld at partnership level. 

    If net income at partnership level is negative, there probably is no withholding, but there can still be composite return. 

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.