Life estate and property taxes

Life estate and property taxes

Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hi everyone. I searched this on the site and did get some basic information on life estates.but nothing clear-cut on property taxes. So I want to make sure by asking this question. It does appear that whoever is giving the life estate is still responsible for a paying the property taxes. In other words if you purchased a property, yet gave the seller a life estate, you as the new owner are still responsible for maintenance and keeping the property taxes current. Is that a correct assessment?

0Reply
27 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Scott JensenPro Member
    Financial Advisor · Blaine, MN · Member since 2014 · 477 posts · 387 votes
    6y

    @Ibrahim Hughes I am no attorney and law is very state specific so run it by a local attorney.

    If you owned a property Jointly where the previous sole owner is now the Life Tenant and you are the Remainderman the I believe the Life Tenant would be responsible for property taxes, mortgage, and maintenance. Really, not a lot changes until the death of the Life Tenant. At that point the Remainderman has the legal control and responsibility over property.  Again, ask a local attorney though.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Scott Jensen:

    @Ibrahim Hughes I am no attorney and law is very state specific so run it by a local attorney.

    If you owned a property Jointly where the previous sole owner is now the Life Tenant and you are the Remainderman the I believe the Life Tenant would be responsible for property taxes, mortgage, and maintenance. Really, not a lot changes until the death of the Life Tenant. At that point the Remainderman has the legal control and responsibility over property.  Again, ask a local attorney though.

     Thanks Scott! I'll check with my attorney as well. Be well!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.