Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 4 votes
I am under contract on a 4 unit. What is the process of flipping the property into a business name for write offs and tax purposes?
I’m told if you quit claim the property to a business name for write offs and protecting yourself, that the mortgage company could possibly want to collect the sum of the debt owed
I am under contract on a 4 unit. What is the process of flipping the property into a business name for write offs and tax purposes?
I’m told if you quit claim the property to a business name for write offs and protecting yourself, that the mortgage company could possibly want to collect the sum of the debt owed
Any way around this or advice?
Thanks,
Jason
You do not need to put it under "Business". If you sell something with an intent to sell, you can also take a deduction related to activity.
You can report the activity under Sch C of 1040 and take all the appropriate deductions.
@Wayne Brooks nailed it: no need to complicate anything for tax purposes. With or without a formally organized business, you have the exact same deductions and same taxes.
Whether or not you have an issue with legal protection and whether or not you can address it by creating a formal business entity is a question for attorneys. Warning, however: there is no consensus even among the attorneys when it comes to asset protection. Ditto for the lender potentially calling the note, aka due-on-sale problem. Opinions vary, with most investors opting to ignore this issue.
That said, your post betrays your being new to business operation and taxes. You're likely to make mistakes, possibly costly ones, by not doing things right. I'd recommend getting some guidance either from professionals like lawyers and accountants or at least from experienced investors.
Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 4 votes
6y
@Michael Plaks
I will get in touch with a professional, I appreciate the advice. I’ve read a bunch of books and am just now getting my feet wet. Definitely want to minimize the amount of mistakes I make in the beginning.
As others have mentioned - you don't need an entity to be able to take advantage of tax deductions. You are entitled to the same deductions whether the property is in your personal name or the name of an entity.