Need to challenge Property Tax rate Houston TX

Need to challenge Property Tax rate Houston TX

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 154 posts · 32 votes

Whats with crazy rise in ppty tax in Houston, TX? How have you guts dealt with it?

I hear there are companies who can challenge the ppty tax hike.

Pls share your thoughts

1Reply
18 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Whats with crazy rise in ppty tax in Houston, TX?
    The city is broke


    How have you guts dealt with it?
    Protest it the best you can -- failing that, pay it

    I hear there are companies who can challenge the ppty tax hike.
    Correct.  You can challenge yourself or you can get a company to do it for 25-40% of the savings

    Pls share your thoughts
    Just did :)

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Sakib J.

    I have 10 properties and let O’Connor and associates deal with challenging mine every year. They are out of Houston and are great. They save me a lot. However, they want half of whatever they will save you in taxes. They save me on average $400 per property each year. So once they win their protest, I cut them a check for half right then. I’ve used them for many years. With my primary, for over 20 years. And if they can’t reduce your taxes, they don’t charge you anything but will still fight for you. Sometimes even going to court if necessary. It’s simple and all my properties are on autopilot with them every year. I don’t do a thing. Or you can fight property yourself to save a buck. I just don’t want to deal with the hassle or have all the tools and comps these guys have to get the lowest rate.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Sakib J.

    Harris county has a very easy online protest option. It is free. https://hcad.org/hcad-online-s...

    O'Connor & Associates is the most prominent company that does protests and charges you 50% of the savings. They do not do a thorough job though for single-family homes. They hire seasonal help (students) to do the protests and use standardized low-effort procedures. Most other tax protest companies that do volume protests operate on the same model.

    Another company to look at is Bettencourt Tax Advisors, founded by the former county tax assessor. Not sure about their fees for residential, they are mostly known for commercial. And, if you have commercial, I have another referral for you.

    There're a number of small tax protest companies in Houston, some of them are one-person operation. They are likely to be cheaper and may do a more thorough job than the big companies, but I cannot endorse any one of them. 

    Ask in the Houston forum, too: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 154 posts · 32 votes
    5y

    @John Morgan

    Checked out O’Connor yelp reviews.

    Pretty horrible service reviews 1.5 stars only!

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Sakib J.:

    @John Morgan

    Checked out O’Connor yelp reviews.

    Pretty horrible service reviews 1.5 stars only!

    Wow, I had no idea they got bad reviews. I’ve used them for 20 years and haven’t had a problem. I don’t do anything and they fight for me every year automatically. They somehow are able to pull really low comps to bring my property values way down.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Sakib J.

    I will like to hear your outcome as I am currently challenging 3 of my properties via a small local property tax company here in Houston, Texas.

    Goodluck

  • Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    I just want to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Ross Rauschenbach, I own and operate a company called Texas Tax Reduction, LLC with my wife. I've been in the property tax appeals business for 4 years now. I'd be happy to answer any general questions for y'all. My service is risk-free for anyone who would like help with their tax appeals, I don't make money unless you do too. I handle everything including evidence compilation and analysis, presenting arguments in hearings, binding arbitration, etc. You won't have to worry about missing deadlines or waiting in the lobby for hours. You can rest assured that your property taxes are always as low as possible.

  • New to Real Estate · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Sakib J. - All the valuations have gone up like crazy and in neighboring counties too. I’ve been using Saegert Law for my appeals for several years now and he does a great job. He actually worked for Harris County Appraisal district and knows the laws/regulations inside out. also, he’s a lot cheaper than O’Connor & Assoc.! www.saegert law.com

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 154 posts · 32 votes
    5y

    @Matt M. thanks Matt..I will contact Mike and post back here of any updates. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.