Searching for CPA for 2020 Tax Year

Searching for CPA for 2020 Tax Year

Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 10 votes

Hello everyone,

Haven't been on here for a while - been super busy with work and managing my properties!

For the 2019 tax year I took a recommendation on a tax professional that I couldn't regret more at this point. I don't want to make the same mistake for 2020 and am looking for a new tax professional to working with. I am located in Thousand Oaks, CA and would love to work with someone that is local that I could see in person. My taxes are relatively straight forward - all my properties were acquired in 2019 and 2020 (5 total) and all are hold and rent. I have very organized paperwork and spreadsheets as well.

Other than someone local, I am looking for a tax professional that actually communicates on a regular bases. When emails are sent, a response comes within 1-2 business days - not 3 months.

Thanks,

Alex

2Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 9 votes
5y

@Alex Schredl I’m not a CPA but an investor/agent located in Thousand Oaks and looking for a CPA myself. I’ve done my taxes previously. Happy to connect any time!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Alex Schredl I’m not a CPA but an investor/agent located in Thousand Oaks and looking for a CPA myself. I’ve done my taxes previously. Happy to connect any time!

  • Rental Property Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Alex Schredl

    I am not CPA but located in TO and would like to know more about how are looking for these rentals

  • Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Josh Hickman - Sure Josh, would love to connect.

  • Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Bonny Drago - Hey Bonny. Then investment properties I have looking for are outside of California. Send me a DM and I can give you some pointers on what I am doing and how I am approaching it.

  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Alex Schredl

    Was it really a 3 month response time? If so, that is too long. Most BP firms that I am familiar with have a much much shorter turnaround time and a higher emphasis on customer care and client satisfaction. Check around the forums for CPA's that specialize in real estate. Just be aware that many firms are getting close to capacity already for the 2020 extension season. I know ours is getting close.

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Hyman

    Let put it this way - out of the multiple emails I have sent since working with this individual, half were never responded to by herself or anyone from the firm. The ones that were responded too took weeks. Not only that, when I called them out on it a few months back in regards to delayed follow up and empty promised actions, I called a lengthy excuse email - the most delayed of any of the email responses.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Alex Schredl

    Your first choice should be to find a CPA that specializes in real estate taxation and one that is local. Many CPA's that post on this website 'tout' finding one that is out of state so you can find that real estate focused CPA. Real Estate Taxation is nothing new and you can certainly find a local CPA that specializes in Real Estate.

    Below are some tips to find a Local CPA that specializes in real estate
    1) Attend a Local REIA / Real Estate meetup and see who other investors are using as a CPA
    2) Network with other investors from your City/State that you find on bigger pockets and see who they use as a CPA
    3) Look for CPA's with good google/yelp reviews where 'real estate' is mentioned in the review.

    Below is a link to verify that your CPA is licensed by the state of California - https://www.dca.ca.gov/cba/con...

    You should only look for an out-of-state CPA after you take the above steps.

    Best of Luck!

  • Accountant · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 213 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    3 month response time. That's a bar most CPA's could beat in the heat of tax season

    Definitely look for CPAs that specialize in real estate or businesses. A lot of accountants who do a large volume of simpler returns at lower prices get too busy to give any customers care and advice. 

    I'm just 45 minutes- an hour north of you and should know someone especially as my BNI Networking group is in the Thousand Oaks Oxnard area.

  • Investor · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 438 posts · 187 votes
    5y

    @Alex Schredl

    I'll send you a DM.

  • Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Hey all,

    Bumping this post again. Time to start looking again...

    Specifically looking for someone with experience in real estate rentals and crypto.

    Best,

    Alex

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.