Looking for a Mentor to help with growing my Portolio.

Looking for a Mentor to help with growing my Portolio.

Member since 2024 · 1 post · 7 votes

Hello, I'm an investor in the Northern VA area with some equity built up and i'm looking for help growing my portfolio. Growth don't have to be local. Anyone got input on some markets to target for buy and hold.

7Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
2y

Hey @Steve Douglas If you're looking for buy and holds I would check out Ohio. 

- landlord friendly 

- strong rental market 

- growing population 

- lower barrier to entry compared to other markets throughout the US 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
    2y

    Hey @Steve Douglas If you're looking for buy and holds I would check out Ohio. 

    - landlord friendly 

    - strong rental market 

    - growing population 

    - lower barrier to entry compared to other markets throughout the US 

  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Columbus, Ohio is a great market for buy and holds. Multiple, billion dollar companies are investing investing heavy in the area, such as Intel, Google, and Amazon. Which in turn will bring plenty of other investors and general business to the area. I moved here from Florida after seeing the projected growth.

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Steve Douglas:

    Hello, I'm an investor in the Northern VA area with some equity built up and i'm looking for help growing my portfolio. Growth don't have to be local. Anyone got input on some markets to target for buy and hold.


    Hey Steve, I think you should look into the Columbus market. There has been a ton of growth here over the last 3-5 years. The market is booming in both the business and real estate sectors. New companies like Intel, Amazon, and Google are also investing here.

    I own all of my investment properties here and work with a lot of out-of-state investors in both the east and west coast that love investing here for the turnkey and BRRRR opportunities that we have here. I made some resources for my out-of-state investors like a neighborhood graded map and contractor rolodex that I can share with you!




  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    2y

    Hey Steve, welcome to BiggerPockets! Columbus will be a standout choice, with the city experiencing impressive property appreciation surpassing the national average. Plus, Ohio's landlord-friendly reputation really boosts its overall appeal.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus | Toledo · Member since 2019 · 608 posts · 768 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Steve Douglas:

    Hello, I'm an investor in the Northern VA area with some equity built up and i'm looking for help growing my portfolio. Growth don't have to be local. Anyone got input on some markets to target for buy and hold.


     Columbus, Cleveland, and Toledo Ohio are great markets for buy and hold investors!

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Steve Douglas:

    Hello, I'm an investor in the Northern VA area with some equity built up and i'm looking for help growing my portfolio. Growth don't have to be local. Anyone got input on some markets to target for buy and hold.

    Hi Steve, I personally love Columbus Ohio and as someone who works with a lot of out of state investors - there's so many catalysts for why you should invest here. Specifically, there's job growth (Intel, Honda, Amazon, Nationwide, etc) and the population is growing (unlike Cleveland or Cincy). I really see Columbus Ohio as an extremely safe bet for the next 10-20 years. Plus, there's still so many positive cash flowing and 1% deals here in Columbus Ohio. As a local investor and agent here in Columbus, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect!

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 340 posts · 215 votes
    2y

    Hi, yes great information yes, I agree Ohio is a great place to invest in Real Estate. As an Ohio Realtor, please feel free to contact me. Thanks!

    Regina Blake-Ohio Realtor

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Steve Douglas:

    Hello, I'm an investor in the Northern VA area with some equity built up and i'm looking for help growing my portfolio. Growth don't have to be local. Anyone got input on some markets to target for buy and hold.


    G'Day Steve,

    Been based in Toledo since 2014.

    Ohio is great for cashflow and volume due to a low entry price point.

    Most other markets appreciate more.

    Start slow.

    Start small.

    Buy with cash and keep portfolio at 50% un-leveraged.

    Only use leverage once you understand the "cashflow" beat of your portfolio which in my opinion takes a couple of years.

    1 or 2 properties in a market like Toledo won't make you rich or financially free and it isn't worth the risk/drama when investing out of state.

    Lower entry Midwest markets require volume to work so keep that in mind.

    Wishing you much success

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2024 · 78 posts · 54 votes
    2y

    Hi Steve...Welcome to BP and thanks for your question.  I have been in the buy and hold space now for 16 years.  The type of market you want is one that has good job growth, population growth, a stable diverse economy with many anchor employers, low property taxes, & landlord friendly laws.  You can find many markets like this like the ones mentioned above.  Birmingham, AL, Chattanooga, TN and N. GA are all markets that fit this criteria.  For more investor tips, feel free to connect. I love helping new investors learn the turnkey investment real estate market.   Cheers!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Steve Douglas:

    Hello, I'm an investor in the Northern VA area with some equity built up and i'm looking for help growing my portfolio. Growth don't have to be local. Anyone got input on some markets to target for buy and hold.

    I've been around the game for a long time. What a lot of folks from your neck of the woods are usually looking for is low cost Midwest cashflow markets. CLICK HERE to talk to me about investing in real estate in the following Midwest cities.

    ____

    ____

    - Cleveland, Ohio

    - Columbus, Ohio

    - Akron, Ohio

    - Canton, Ohio

    - Cincinnati, Ohio

    - Dayton, Ohio

    - Miamisburg, Ohio

    - Elyria, Ohio

    - Lorain, Ohio

    - Toledo, Ohio

    --- I work with that Ozzie freak @Engelo Rumora on my Toledo deals. Ask him about it.

    - Warren, Ohio

    - Hamilton, Ohio

    - Lakewood, Ohio

    - Garfield Heights, Ohio

    - Euclid, Ohio

    - Maple Heights, Ohio

    - Ashtabula, Ohio

    - Conneaut, Ohio

    - Sandusky, Ohio

    - Vermilion, Ohio

    - Lima, Ohio

    - Dublin, Ohio

    - Springfield, Ohio

    - Detroit, Michigan

    --- I work with that piece of man meat @Drew Sygit on my Detroit deals. Ask him about it.

    CLICK HERE for Lender Financing

    CLICK HERE for Seller Financing

    CLICK HERE for General Contractor Referrals

    CLICK HERE for a Personalized Turnkey Experience on ANY Property in Ohio &/or Detroit

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.