I'm looking for my first flip or rental property.

I'm looking for my first flip or rental property.

New to Real Estate · OH · Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 11 votes

Hey everyone! My name is Michael Leccese, and I'm a sophomore at Miami University. I'm eager to start investing in the Columbus area and would love any tips or recommendations on areas and places to look for properties to help me find my first deal. Thanks!

10Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Remington LymanBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Michael Leccese:

Hey everyone! My name is Michael Leccese, and I'm a sophomore at Miami University. I'm eager to start investing in the Columbus area and would love any tips or recommendations on areas and places to look for properties to help me find my first deal. Thanks!


 I recommend getting a W2 job and then house hacking in your local market. This is what I did in 2017 in Columbus, Ohio. I believe it allows you to develop a solid set of skills that will help you do more difficult forms of real estate investing in the future

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ko KashiwagiPro Member
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 967 posts · 445 votes
    2y

    Are you planning to do rentals or flips?

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Leccese:

    Hey everyone! My name is Michael Leccese, and I'm a sophomore at Miami University. I'm eager to start investing in the Columbus area and would love any tips or recommendations on areas and places to look for properties to help me find my first deal. Thanks!


     I recommend getting a W2 job and then house hacking in your local market. This is what I did in 2017 in Columbus, Ohio. I believe it allows you to develop a solid set of skills that will help you do more difficult forms of real estate investing in the future

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2023 · 62 posts · 35 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Leccese:

    Hey everyone! My name is Michael Leccese, and I'm a sophomore at Miami University. I'm eager to start investing in the Columbus area and would love any tips or recommendations on areas and places to look for properties to help me find my first deal. Thanks!

    Reach out to Brandon Goldsmith in Columbus he is always sending me offmarket and on market opportunities. 

    I would look to start with a MFH house hack. Will give you experience and save money by subsiding the mortage.

    Good Luck and have fun. This stuff is addictive.
  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Why Columbus? Do you have a team built there? 

    If you end up with an LTR and have a relationship with an excellent PM, that could work. 

    Doing a remote flip as your first deal isn't likely to be a stress free process and the liklihood of actually profiting is significanly lower. 

    Why not find a flip in your own back yard?

  • Member since 2024 · 238 posts · 132 votes
    2y

    I would start with student housing in Oxford. I think the dorm rate at Miami is about $10,000/ year double occupancy. That means you are competing against a $20,000/ apt that is what 300 sq ft?

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Leccese:

    Hey everyone! My name is Michael Leccese, and I'm a sophomore at Miami University. I'm eager to start investing in the Columbus area and would love any tips or recommendations on areas and places to look for properties to help me find my first deal. Thanks!


     Hi Michael, I have been investing in the Columbus market for the past 8 years. I've seen major growth over the past 3-5 years with home prices doubling now since 2020. 

    if you are starting out, looking into house-hacking or just simply a turnkey property. Get into BRRRR's and fix & flips later. You can look in Old North, Merion Village, Southern Orchards, Old Towne East, Driving Park, North Linden, North Hilltop, Franklinton, Reynoldsburg, and Hungarian Village.

  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Michael,

    Congrats on getting started! 

    If you can house-hack, that would be great starting out. But if you're looking for rentals..

    I would focus on areas up north like Linden and areas on the west side of Columbus, like Franklinton and Hilltop.

    Linden is seeing a large amount of investment activity within residential 1-4 unit properties and newly developed facilities, which were ignited by the ONE Linden Plan. With new construction and renovations going on, on almost every block.

    In Franklinton there are plenty of large projects going on that will bring massive growth to the west side of Columbus, such as the Peninsula Development, which is a multiphase project that will erect a 24 story apartment complex featuring a grocery store, a multi use office space building, and a new hotel featuring a two-story Pins Mechanical venue.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus | Toledo · Member since 2019 · 608 posts · 768 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Leccese:

    Hey everyone! My name is Michael Leccese, and I'm a sophomore at Miami University. I'm eager to start investing in the Columbus area and would love any tips or recommendations on areas and places to look for properties to help me find my first deal. Thanks!


     Look to purchase a single family home or 2-4 Unit in the Oxford/Cincy area 1st. Purchase as a primary residence and rent out by room or unit to other students. When you're ready to graduate, then look to Columbus for your next 2-4 unit. 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Leccese:

    Hey everyone! My name is Michael Leccese, and I'm a sophomore at Miami University. I'm eager to start investing in the Columbus area and would love any tips or recommendations on areas and places to look for properties to help me find my first deal. Thanks!


     Hi Michael, I personally moved from Portland OR to Columbus OH to start with real estate investing - my first investment deal was a house hack. You can either house hack or purchase a rental for cashflow. The first thing to do is to start building your real estate team out here. Find a realtor to work with who can plug you in with their network of lenders, GCs, PMs, etc. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Michael Leccese

    Consider investing in Short North, German Village, Clarkville, Franklin, or the University District. Consider trendiness, historical appeal, family-friendly neighborhoods, and student housing. Network with local groups and brokers, use internet resources to study homes, collaborate with a mentor, look into financing alternatives, and perform comprehensive inspections. Begin with a single-family house or a modest multi-family property, form a team of a real estate agent, lender, property manager, and contractor.

    Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.