Mission to Acquire 1000 Doors

Mission to Acquire 1000 Doors

Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes

I'm on a mission to acquire 1000 multifamily doors, and I'm spending every free minute I have crunching numbers on properties.

I've found numerous cash-flow-ready properties, and I'm looking to partner with someone who can help me cover the down payments.

Together, we can reach the goal of 1000 doors and more.

Let's connect and see what we can make happen together.

- Jamison

7Reply
384 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7mo

Why? Are you collecting doors or money? Only new investors are impressed by how many properties someone owns. Owning 1,000 crappy, money losing properties in the Midwest is often the result of this strategy. Own fewer but better properties. Higher cashflow, less vacancy, fewer evictions, more appreciation.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Consider spending every free minute you have working to save seed money so you have some skin in the game and don’t have to wait for a partner to get started? 

  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    7mo

    Jamison, 

    Love the goal. 

    I’d recommend narrowing your buy box. Pick a specific market, property size range, and deal profile. Become very strong at underwriting one type of asset in one or two areas.

    Being broad and looking at deals all over is going to to detract potential partners here. 

    Best of luck! 

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Track deal flow like a sales pipeline - properties analyzed weekly, LOIs out, closings. Shows partners you're consistent, not just chasing random deals. Are you tracking your conversion rates?

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Why? Are you collecting doors or money? Only new investors are impressed by how many properties someone owns. Owning 1,000 crappy, money losing properties in the Midwest is often the result of this strategy. Own fewer but better properties. Higher cashflow, less vacancy, fewer evictions, more appreciation.

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Eric Gerakos:

      Why? Are you collecting doors or money? Only new investors are impressed by how many properties someone owns. Owning 1,000 crappy, money losing properties in the Midwest is often the result of this strategy. Own fewer but better properties. Higher cashflow, less vacancy, fewer evictions, more appreciation.


       I agree. Why target a certain number of doors? I would rather target a specific metric such as income.

      I was recently talking to a lender who wanted to get to $3,000,000 a month. My comment was, "Would you rather get to $2,000,000 a month making 3% or $3,000,000 a month making 1.5%?" It's not about the volume or the quantity. It's always about the quality. 

      7e investments53 Reviews
    • Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      Quote from @Eric Gerakos:

      Why? Are you collecting doors or money? Only new investors are impressed by how many properties someone owns. Owning 1,000 crappy, money losing properties in the Midwest is often the result of this strategy. Own fewer but better properties. Higher cashflow, less vacancy, fewer evictions, more appreciation.


       I agree. Why target a certain number of doors? I would rather target a specific metric such as income.

      I was recently talking to a lender who wanted to get to $3,000,000 a month. My comment was, "Would you rather get to $2,000,000 a month making 3% or $3,000,000 a month making 1.5%?" It's not about the volume or the quantity. It's always about the quality. 

       @Chris Seveney I’m aiming big with my 1000-door long-term goal, but not blindly. Every step, I'm focusing on strong cash flow, value-add potential, and the overall quality of each property. I'd rather set a huge goal and miss than set a tiny goal and achieve it. Thank you for your comment. Cheers.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    7mo

    1000 doors, eh? I could tell as soon as I saw the post title that the poster was young and inexperienced.

    As @Eric Gerakos said, refine your goals so that they are not solely based on number of 'doors', you're putting quantity before quality, and that never works.

    I hate to be the reality checker here, but someone has to.....

    • Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

      1000 doors, eh? I could tell as soon as I saw the post title that the poster was young and inexperienced.

      As @Eric Gerakos said, refine your goals so that they are not solely based on number of 'doors', you're putting quantity before quality, and that never works.

      I hate to be the reality checker here, but someone has to.....

      @Bruce Woodruff Thank you for your response. I'm not jumping into anything without running the numbers and doing a proper site-walk and due diligence. 1000 units isn't just some random number I want to get to at any cost. I believe in setting big goals, and the more quality investments we acquire, the more people I can help in the developmental disability field. Thank you for your feedback. Cheers.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    My first question is why? Not to discourage but there needs to be reasons behind it. 1,000 doors will take time and a ton of capital. Many have came on the forums and set goals of 5,50,500, etc. but there's more to it. I would start with a handful of units. Do a house hack, learn the ropes. As you gain experience you can tackle larger projects and raise capital. 

    • Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Caleb Brown:

      My first question is why? Not to discourage but there needs to be reasons behind it. 1,000 doors will take time and a ton of capital. Many have came on the forums and set goals of 5,50,500, etc. but there's more to it. I would start with a handful of units. Do a house hack, learn the ropes. As you gain experience you can tackle larger projects and raise capital. 

       @Caleb Brown Totally fair question, and I appreciate you asking it. The 1,000-door target is a long-term vision, not a short-term sprint. My deeper “why” is that I want to build enough scale to meaningfully support the developmental disabilities community, which is the field I work in and care deeply about.

      While starting small is great, I've already owned SFR's, and I'd rather stick to my large target and see what I can make happen. Thank you for your comment and advice. Cheers and good luck to you this year.

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    I would recommend leading with one solid deal (real rents/expenses, loan terms, and a backup plan) instead of the 1,000-door goal. Keep it simple for the money partner: a fixed return or preferred return + equity, with reserves and a clear written agreement to protect their capital.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Jamison - thanks for sharing! Why the goal of 1,000 doors? Just curious. What is driving you towards this?

    • Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Aaron Zimmerman:

      Jamison - thanks for sharing! Why the goal of 1,000 doors? Just curious. What is driving you towards this?

       @Aaron Zimmerman I want to set a big goal so I have something to aim for instead of starting off small. I believe I can do a lot of good along the way, and my main focus will be giving back to the developmental disability field that I currently work in.

    • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
      Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      7mo

      @Jamison Remmers love it ! That always help when there's something to drive you and there's a why behind the why! 

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Jamison Remmers:

    I'm on a mission to acquire 1000 multifamily doors, and I'm spending every free minute I have crunching numbers on properties.

    I've found numerous cash-flow-ready properties, and I'm looking to partner with someone who can help me cover the down payments.

    Together, we can reach the goal of 1000 doors and more.

    Let's connect and see what we can make happen together.

    - Jamison


     I can help you find the large multi-family deals that you are looking for. I sell a good bit off-market and have a ton of relationships with large brokers in ohio and indy. 

    We also actively scout great deals on/off on co-star commercial access. If you had something specific, my team can go out and hunt for that deal.

    • Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Jamison Remmers:

      I'm on a mission to acquire 1000 multifamily doors, and I'm spending every free minute I have crunching numbers on properties.

      I've found numerous cash-flow-ready properties, and I'm looking to partner with someone who can help me cover the down payments.

      Together, we can reach the goal of 1000 doors and more.

      Let's connect and see what we can make happen together.

      - Jamison


       I can help you find the large multi-family deals that you are looking for. I sell a good bit off-market and have a ton of relationships with large brokers in ohio and indy. 

      We also actively scout great deals on/off on co-star commercial access. If you had something specific, my team can go out and hunt for that deal.

       @Alfath Ahmed Thank you for your response. I'd love to have a virtual coffee call to see what we can make happen together. I'll shoot you a DM. Cheers.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    7mo

    I question the goal, but more critical, I question if you know the requirements of having partners.  

    Not a lawyer, but Advertising for partners could limit you to accredited investors.  Do you know this?   Do you think this counts as advertising?   

    if you desire to obtain partners, make sure you understand the rules of the game.   Also finding investors without a property(ies), a plan, underwriting, deck, etc will be very challenging because your competition virtually universally has these.  They typically have gone full cycle multiple times with a track record of success, especially in this more challenging RE market.

    In this environment, I would never to choose to invest with a new operator when there are so many experienced operators looking for LPs.   How are you expecting to compete?

    My view is you have to learn a lot before proceeding.  Even if you are quite educated, have a great property identified with a good plan to produce a good return, I suspect you will be challenged to find investors due to your level of experience.

    By the way bigger pockets has association with Passive Pockets.   It has a small charge for BP pro members to register as potential investors (operators I believe have a higher cost).   You can find out a lot about various syndications and operators on that site.

    Good luck

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    7mo

    Jamison, that is a very ambitious goal. Wishing you the best of luck achieving it.

    • Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      Jamison, that is a very ambitious goal. Wishing you the best of luck achieving it.

       @Janice Carter It sure is, and I'm not going to rush to achieve it, but I believe I can do a lot of good along the way to getting there. I hope things are going well with your goals this year. If I can help in any way, I'm here. Take care.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 941 votes
    7mo

    @Jamison Remmers

    Jamison, love the ambition and focus on impact. If your goal is cash-flowing multifamily with scale, the Midwest has some of the best opportunities, lower purchase prices, strong rental demand, and value-add potential that makes hitting your target much easier. You can start with 1–5 solid deals in the right markets, build a proven track record, then scale rapidly. I actively work off-market and undervalued properties here, so if you want, I can share some opportunities and help you get deals under contract while keeping quality and cash flow front and center.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7mo

    Partnering is dangerous, probably even more then getting married and that has a <50% success rate. If you want to partner with someone, you need to ask yourself what do I bring to the partnership? Typically it's either capital or expertise. I'll exclude time, because that's worthless in the MF space. Any free AI with a 1 line prompt can crunch numbers faster than you can open Excel, so the real question is how are you going to build your expertise? 

    • Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

      Partnering is dangerous, probably even more then getting married and that has a <50% success rate. If you want to partner with someone, you need to ask yourself what do I bring to the partnership? Typically it's either capital or expertise. I'll exclude time, because that's worthless in the MF space. Any free AI with a 1 line prompt can crunch numbers faster than you can open Excel, so the real question is how are you going to build your expertise? 

       I appreciate your comment, @Marcus Auerbach. While the robots can crunch numbers faster than me, they can't complete a site-walk, talk to the broker/owner, nor do they have the attention to detail that I do. While I lack the money to invest in a property by myself, I have the drive and skills to make a successful partnership. I know the right person will give me a chance when the time is right, and we'll build a successful portfolio together. I love working with the students I work with, and I have a huge heart for our community, but my heart isn't paying the bills. I need a little help to get started, but I have the knowledge and expertise to make some big moves.

    • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Jamison Remmers:
      Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

      Partnering is dangerous, probably even more then getting married and that has a <50% success rate. If you want to partner with someone, you need to ask yourself what do I bring to the partnership? Typically it's either capital or expertise. I'll exclude time, because that's worthless in the MF space. Any free AI with a 1 line prompt can crunch numbers faster than you can open Excel, so the real question is how are you going to build your expertise? 

       I appreciate your comment, @Marcus Auerbach. While the robots can crunch numbers faster than me, they can't complete a site-walk, talk to the broker/owner, nor do they have the attention to detail that I do. While I lack the money to invest in a property by myself, I have the drive and skills to make a successful partnership. I know the right person will give me a chance when the time is right, and we'll build a successful portfolio together. I love working with the students I work with, and I have a huge heart for our community, but my heart isn't paying the bills. I need a little help to get started, but I have the knowledge and expertise to make some big moves.


       I was under the impression you are new to real estate investing?

    • Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:
      Quote from @Jamison Remmers:
      Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

      Partnering is dangerous, probably even more then getting married and that has a <50% success rate. If you want to partner with someone, you need to ask yourself what do I bring to the partnership? Typically it's either capital or expertise. I'll exclude time, because that's worthless in the MF space. Any free AI with a 1 line prompt can crunch numbers faster than you can open Excel, so the real question is how are you going to build your expertise? 

       I appreciate your comment, @Marcus Auerbach. While the robots can crunch numbers faster than me, they can't complete a site-walk, talk to the broker/owner, nor do they have the attention to detail that I do. While I lack the money to invest in a property by myself, I have the drive and skills to make a successful partnership. I know the right person will give me a chance when the time is right, and we'll build a successful portfolio together. I love working with the students I work with, and I have a huge heart for our community, but my heart isn't paying the bills. I need a little help to get started, but I have the knowledge and expertise to make some big moves.


       I was under the impression you are new to real estate investing?


      I've owned SFRs, but this will be my first multifamily venture. Are you looking to grow your portfolio right now, happy with what you're working with, or looking to offload some properties?

    • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Jamison Remmers:
      Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:
      Quote from @Jamison Remmers:
      Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

      Partnering is dangerous, probably even more then getting married and that has a <50% success rate. If you want to partner with someone, you need to ask yourself what do I bring to the partnership? Typically it's either capital or expertise. I'll exclude time, because that's worthless in the MF space. Any free AI with a 1 line prompt can crunch numbers faster than you can open Excel, so the real question is how are you going to build your expertise? 

       I appreciate your comment, @Marcus Auerbach. While the robots can crunch numbers faster than me, they can't complete a site-walk, talk to the broker/owner, nor do they have the attention to detail that I do. While I lack the money to invest in a property by myself, I have the drive and skills to make a successful partnership. I know the right person will give me a chance when the time is right, and we'll build a successful portfolio together. I love working with the students I work with, and I have a huge heart for our community, but my heart isn't paying the bills. I need a little help to get started, but I have the knowledge and expertise to make some big moves.


       I was under the impression you are new to real estate investing?


      I've owned SFRs, but this will be my first multifamily venture. Are you looking to grow your portfolio right now, happy with what you're working with, or looking to offload some properties?


      No, we are in the holding phase and are not buying that much any more. We are doing occasional 1031s into the suburbs, but they sell full retail.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7mo

    Stuff that looks like it cashflows out of state usually does not. The on paper math misses out on the very high turnover costs of the tenants who live in cashflow areas (easily $5-10k every time they leave), lost rent costs and the overall costly problems of this tenant class. I have come to realize markets are relatively efficient and the actual net returns of various areas are similar, if anything the less competitive cashflow markets tend to be lower expected returns or even negative for an out of state owner. 

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Jamison Remmers:

    I'm on a mission to acquire 1000 multifamily doors, and I'm spending every free minute I have crunching numbers on properties.

    I've found numerous cash-flow-ready properties, and I'm looking to partner with someone who can help me cover the down payments.

    Together, we can reach the goal of 1000 doors and more.

    Let's connect and see what we can make happen together.

    - Jamison

    I have a few extra doors in inventory that we've replaced, not super exciting doors, but they keep the wind out. Where shall I send them? :-)
    • Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Ken M.:
      Quote from @Jamison Remmers:

      I'm on a mission to acquire 1000 multifamily doors, and I'm spending every free minute I have crunching numbers on properties.

      I've found numerous cash-flow-ready properties, and I'm looking to partner with someone who can help me cover the down payments.

      Together, we can reach the goal of 1000 doors and more.

      Let's connect and see what we can make happen together.

      - Jamison

      I have a few extra doors in inventory that we've replaced, not super exciting doors, but they keep the wind out. Where shall I send them? :-)

      If only it were that easy! Lol 😂 I'm hoping to partner and learn from someone more experienced. My goal for 1000 doors is big, but I have the drive to achieve it in time. And I plan to do it the right way, acquiring solid, cash-flowing properties, and looking for value-add possibilities. If you or anyone you know is interested in talking more, I'd love to schedule a virtual coffee Zoom. Cheers, @Ken M.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.