High yield savings account ?

High yield savings account ?

Steve TsePro Member
Member since 2021 · 100 posts · 16 votes

It's 2023, what banks  do you use to  get best high yields on your savings account ?  This question is to any investor that needs to park their money in between flips or investments or just anyone who needs to keep their savings for short term like a year or so.

2Reply
206 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 91 votes
3y

I like Ally Bank (3.40% APY as of today). The 'buckets' feature was a game changer for me.

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Steve TsePro Member
    OP
    Member since 2021 · 100 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    @Jason Merchey I made my choice already - Capital One @ 5% CD 

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jason Merchey:

    Thanks for the Capital One 5.0% lead. I was going to put some money into a Live Oak Bank savings account at 3.5%, but the COF CD at 5% is probably better! I presume they let you pull money out in an emergency.... and that it's FDIC insured. I will check.

     Solid rate, but it'd be native to think Capital One is stupid. They know rates will exceed 5% after 3/14/2023 and before your CD matures in Feb of 24.

    @Mark S. M1's 4.5% will come out when the rates are at or over that, so sometime here in Q2 '23. They're not releasing it above the market before it happens by more than a quarter. You can guarantee that.

    Best bet right now 4-13 week T-Bills, rinse & repeat. Do like 60% 4-week, 30% 8-week, 10% 13-Week if you have some still liquid sitting on hand in a savings account for a property. If you don't then do almost all 4-Weeks. The TBills will increase rather than these CDs that will lock you in before rates hike. Granted the difference you're saving is minute if it's like 5k-15k, but if you're dropping $500k-$5mil it's a big diff.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Jason Merchey:

    Thanks for the Capital One 5.0% lead. I was going to put some money into a Live Oak Bank savings account at 3.5%, but the COF CD at 5% is probably better! I presume they let you pull money out in an emergency.... and that it's FDIC insured. I will check.

     Solid rate, but it'd be native to think Capital One is stupid. They know rates will exceed 5% after 3/14/2023 and before your CD matures in Feb of 24.

    @Mark S. M1's 4.5% will come out when the rates are at or over that, so sometime here in Q2 '23. They're not releasing it above the market before it happens by more than a quarter. You can guarantee that.

    Best bet right now 4-13 week T-Bills, rinse & repeat. Do like 60% 4-week, 30% 8-week, 10% 13-Week if you have some still liquid sitting on hand in a savings account for a property. If you don't then do almost all 4-Weeks. The TBills will increase rather than these CDs that will lock you in before rates hike. Granted the difference you're saving is minute if it's like 5k-15k, but if you're dropping $500k-$5mil it's a big diff.


     This is situation that was unimaginable before.

    Got 600k from selling homes, put it  into 4 weeks Tbills at 4.5-5% rinse-and-repeat. Rent in Airbnb for $2.5K/mo. Paid by midwest CF of $2.0k/mo. and WF Hawaii for $50/day LOL

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    save better dotcom has BELLCU offering 5% CD.

    Now someone like Axos bank has 4.875% 15YFRM (w/ 2 points).

    I think this is first time in history CD return is higher than the mortgage fixed rate.

  • Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 214 votes
    3y

    Sofi has been great and even gives you $ just for signing up!

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 164 posts · 80 votes
    3y

    Vio Bank - 4.30%

  • Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    This website gives you a good comparision - https://apy.fyi/

  • Steve TsePro Member
    OP
    Member since 2021 · 100 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    Has anyone been buying 10-year series EE treasury bonds @ 6.89% rate ?

  • Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Hey all, I've been keeping money with LendingClub. 4% APY there.  They've been really easy to work with and their customer service is great. Account comes with an ATM card to pull from it if you need it need it.

  • Randall AlanPro Member
    Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Bask Bank (online only) is FDIC Insured and is offering 4.25 APY. I think the APR is 4.16 right now. It is an online division of another TX bank. It has a lot of good press. Saw it mentioned by fortune.com. I'm trying it out. So far in 2 days I made more interest than I made in a year at the big bank I bank at! lol! so far, so good!

    Randy

  • Steve TsePro Member
    OP
    Member since 2021 · 100 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    why isn't anyone investing in 10-year treasury bonds that earn you a rate of 6.89% guaranteed ?

  • Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    I think liquidity plays a part into that.  I can keep cash in a high yield account until I find a higher return opportunity than a 10 year treasury bond. Without paying a fee. I think that you have to wait 5 years to cash that out penalty free. I could be wrong on that cash out penalty though.

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 798 votes
    3y

    Also the 6.89 treasury only has a 10K limit.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.