I feel bad spending money (even on necessities) is this normal?

I feel bad spending money (even on necessities) is this normal?

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes

I feel awful for spending money on things. Is this normal?

So I just purchased a set of takeoff wheels and tires for my car. The cost came to about $1500.

From the dealer, this combo would probably cost me 3-4k.

I ended up selling my old ones for $700 so the real cost to me was about $800. I have a bonus coming up next month that should be 5-6k so I was planning on using that to cover it when my card bill comes.

Our stats:

140-150k combined income 
100k in student loans on pause between us

100k in savings 


30k in retirement

I’m not sure if it’s because we’re trying to save for a house later this year, but I feel awful spending any money even on required expenses. We try to keep monthly spending below $1700 to keep up with our savings goal.

Is this a good fear to have or do I have an issue here?

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y

I like having a nice car too.

"Feel Less -- Think More"

"Feel Less -- Think More"

"Feel Less -- Think More"

Make a Personal Budget and try to stick to it.

For the line items of the Budget, look online.

Make sure you make a place for "car nice-ies" (vs repairs) Armor all, Meguires, washes, detailing, etc....

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nick Wegrzynowski:

    I feel awful for spending money on things. Is this normal?

    So I just purchased a set of takeoff wheels and tires for my car. The cost came to about $1500.  From the dealer, this combo would probably cost me 3-4k.

    I ended up selling my old ones for $700 so the real cost to me was about $800. I have a bonus coming up next month that should be 5-6k so I was planning on using that to cover it when my card bill comes.

    Our stats:

    140-150k combined income 
    100k in student loans on pause between us

    100k in savings  30k in retirement

    I’m not sure if it’s because we’re trying to save for a house later this year, but I feel awful spending any money even on required expenses. We try to keep monthly spending below $1700 to keep up with our savings goal.

    Is this a good fear to have or do I have an issue here?

    Oh I hear you.  Wait until you are FI and still have a hard time letting go.

    Are take off wheels for like winter tires?  I guess I don't know what they are.  I have my winter studs on wheels so I can swap myself.   See that?  LOL 

    I don't see being frugal at your stage as a problem at all.  You still have student loans and are saving for a house.

    Even though we were and are pretty frugal, we never skimped on family experiences.   We may drive a beater to the airport, but we went!  I'd rather be free with a beater than drive my beamer to a job I hate. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I like having a nice car too.

    "Feel Less -- Think More"

    "Feel Less -- Think More"

    "Feel Less -- Think More"

    Make a Personal Budget and try to stick to it.

    For the line items of the Budget, look online.

    Make sure you make a place for "car nice-ies" (vs repairs) Armor all, Meguires, washes, detailing, etc....

    Good Luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I would certainly error on the side of being frugal.  I try to make a game out of it.  My truck blew up last September (last day of elk hunting thank god!) and I am seeing how long I can go without buying another one.  Get more steps in for sure bought a good bike.  American consumption is so redonkulous I like to look at as punching the the Great American Rat Race in the face.

  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Nick Wegrzynowski:

    I feel awful for spending money on things. Is this normal?

    So I just purchased a set of takeoff wheels and tires for my car. The cost came to about $1500.

    From the dealer, this combo would probably cost me 3-4k.

    I ended up selling my old ones for $700 so the real cost to me was about $800. I have a bonus coming up next month that should be 5-6k so I was planning on using that to cover it when my card bill comes.

    Our stats:

    140-150k combined income 
    100k in student loans on pause between us

    100k in savings 


    30k in retirement

    I’m not sure if it’s because we’re trying to save for a house later this year, but I feel awful spending any money even on required expenses. We try to keep monthly spending below $1700 to keep up with our savings goal.

    Is this a good fear to have or do I have an issue here?


     before using any money that you planing to save for something ask your self if you really reedit or you just want it.

    insure the rest you know your self

    good luck !

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    People often aren't really completely aware of how core values around money drive day-to-day action. So long as your spending is inline with your core values you should NOT feel bad for spending money.

    Why did you buy the tires? Perhaps you didn't want to drive your family around in an unsafe vehicle with bald tires? Maybe you value the safety of your family more than having that money. Or maybe your tires had another summer of life in them and you really bought the tires because you you wanted your car to look cool? And now having though it through you feel bad because you realized that your savings should have been more important than a 'cool looking' car. 

    Frugality is one of my husbands core values; if he is thirsty and on the road, two hours from home, he won't stop at convenience store and get a drink, he'll just wait until he gets home. He would rather be uncomfortable for a couple of hours than spend a buck-- and that's okay for him. Not me. If I'm thirsty, we're stopping for a drink. Frugality is not one of my core values. Now, I will buy the polar pop for .79 instead of the $2.49 20oz bottle because I don't mind spending money so long as I get a good deal-- one of my core values is good 'value' and 'comfort' -- I'm not going to be uncomfortable for two hours if it's not medically necessary-- no dying of thirst (or wilderness tent camping for this gal).

    If you and your fiance can each figure out the values that drive your spending at this early point in your relationship, you will be a lucky couple.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.