Refinancing Conundrum - Don't Forget About This

Refinancing Conundrum - Don't Forget About This

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes

I was recently reading a thread on another website about someone asking which mortgage they should take. They were strongly considering one with the lowest down payment and the highest interest rate based on the "I can refinance this when rates go down theory".  While this is true, I think most people forget there are two components to refinance. The first of course being ability to repay (which borrower should qualify for in this instance since their payment is going down), but more importantly is the loan to value. 

I think people are ignoring this thinking that real estate appreciation is linear, which it is not. For example, if you buy a $400k home and put 20% down (say its investment) your loan is $320k. If that property drops 5 you now have another $15k to come up with on top of the closing costs on that property. Now some people have that no problem, but others forget that when you put little down, a refinance is not a guarantee because of the LTV factor.

So something to consider. Love to hear others opinions

7e investments53 Reviews
0Reply
26 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    100% 

    I have had many scenarios where an investor wants to do a high LTV loan even though I am suggesting not to pursue this and they end up having to sell because they cannot refinance without coming with funds to close. What is worst is when they run out of time on their current hard money loan and are paying penalties/very high rates for going past the maturity date.

    These no money down shenanigans need to stop. Too many new investors playing with fire and they end up getting burnt bad.. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Anderson S.Business Member
    Lender · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2024 · 209 posts · 50 votes
    2y

    You're right! I keep hearing by now and refinance later, the truth is much muddier. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.