Holding property and personal finance
Hi Everyone, new to these forums and new to investing but not new to residential property. I'm a general contractor with lots of experience in remodels and some flipping.
I'm considering starting to hold renovated or new construction properties. My biggest question right now is how it affects my personal finances.
Just to use round numbers say we build a new construction home and we are 300k all in . We get it appraised for 400k and I want to cash out refi at 75 percent to pull all my capital back out. Leaving 25 equity in the house as the down payment for the refi. Sounds straightforward? Say I do 2-3 of these and hold them but then I want to sell my personal home and buy another one. Are all those loans going to hurt my personal ability to purchase a primary residence? Does this change if I start a separate LLC for the rental properties?
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
8mo
After a year as a landlord (2 tax returns) most lenders will give you credit for 100% of your rental income. It’s usually between 50-75% before then.)
I was able to get 10 mortgages as an unemployed landlord back in the mid to late 2010’s when supposedly it was harder. I was buying a new primary and a new rental each year for 5 years. (Converting the previous primary in to a rental.) only once did I have a lender literally call me a liar saying he wouldn’t give me a primary home loan when it was obviously going to be a rental. I moved to a different lender and carried on. Certainly talk to your lender and explain your plan. They should be able to tell you what order to do them in.
If there’s any chance you’re going to sell any homes that started as your primary be certain to sell within 3 years of moving out. That tax free gain is your golden ticket.
Bordentown, NJ · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 14 votes
8mo
Before offering my perspective, I should mention that I’ve built a 9-property portfolio using the BRRRR method (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat). In my experience, this strategy actually strengthens your personal finances rather than hindering them, provided the assets generate positive cash flow. Furthermore, I consider an LLC essential—not necessarily for tax benefits, as my W2 and sole proprietorship income blend for accounting, but as a critical 'shield' to protect my personal assets from legal risks.
Hope this helps
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
8mo
After a year as a landlord (2 tax returns) most lenders will give you credit for 100% of your rental income. It’s usually between 50-75% before then.)
I was able to get 10 mortgages as an unemployed landlord back in the mid to late 2010’s when supposedly it was harder. I was buying a new primary and a new rental each year for 5 years. (Converting the previous primary in to a rental.) only once did I have a lender literally call me a liar saying he wouldn’t give me a primary home loan when it was obviously going to be a rental. I moved to a different lender and carried on. Certainly talk to your lender and explain your plan. They should be able to tell you what order to do them in.
If there’s any chance you’re going to sell any homes that started as your primary be certain to sell within 3 years of moving out. That tax free gain is your golden ticket.
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
8mo
If you had them as rentals, you would also be able to include the rental income. Many will do debt service credit ratio loans, which are your entity and focused on the property and do not impact your primary credit. Please note your credit score is important and qualifying for these loans though.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8mo
Yes, those loans can affect your ability to buy a primary residence, but only if the rentals do not cash flow on paper. If the properties cash flow or break even, the impact on your debt-to-income (DTI) is often minimal. If they don't, they will reduce your buying power for a primary residence. Even if the properties are held in an LLC, lenders usually count the debt against your personal DTI because you personally guarantee the loans. Maybe something to look into would be to buy your next primary residence first and then scale rentals. From a tax standpoint, holding the properties as rentals keeps income on Schedule E, avoids self-employment tax, and allows depreciation. Entity choice helps with liability and tax organization, not mortgage qualification.
Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 901 votes
8mo
Lenders primarily care about how your rental properties affect your debt-to-income ratio when you’re applying for a primary residence. If the rentals are showing positive cash flow or at least covering their own expenses, they typically have little impact on qualification. The issue arises when the properties do not cash flow on paper, as that shortfall can directly reduce how much you’re able to borrow for a primary home.
Holding rentals in an LLC does not usually solve this from a lending standpoint. Because most investors personally guarantee their loans, lenders still attribute the debt to the individual, regardless of the entity structure. For that reason, some investors choose to secure their next primary residence first before continuing to expand their rental portfolio.
From the tax side, rental income is generally reported on Schedule E, which allows depreciation and avoids self-employment tax. Choosing an entity can be helpful for liability protection and administrative organization, but it rarely improves mortgage qualification.
Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 403 posts · 162 votes
7mo
Glad you joined the forum! In Maryland, your documentation, specifically your payment ledger, is the "make or break" detail. Proper record-keeping helps ensure investment properties don't hinder your personal residence goals. LLCs offer protection, but usually require personal guarantees. Feel free to message me if you’d like to discuss a long-term strategy!