How Important is Your Credit Score?

How Important is Your Credit Score?

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes

I've noticed that a lot of people on the site come on and ask about how they can get started investing with a poor credit score and if that score even matters in real estate.

I'd argue that it does. I think it makes one heck of a difference, and I believe that because it was just so easy for me to get financing on my first deal. All I did was apply for an FHA loan (a type of financing that probably makes sense for most people applying the "How to Hack Your Housing" strategy, and who also don't have tons of money for a full down payment plus repairs). After one 30 minute meeting, the lender confirmed my income, balances, and credit score - and then gave me a TON of money to buy this property.

Change one variable in that equation, my credit score, and this becomes a nightmare.  Nobody would have touched me with a ten foot pole if I had a rotten score.  And the funny thing is - I've only been building credit for a little over a year!  It's the difference between being able to buy almost any house, and only being able to buy a fantastic deal, AND having to convince private investors to back you.  I think my way is MUCH easier, especially when getting started.

From my personal experience, the biggest takeaway I have is that the only thing that really matters with regards to your credit score is not to screw it up!

Maybe this was obvious to everyone already, but thinking about this led me to the following conclusion:

My Credit Score is just as important as my reputation, and should be treated with equal importance.  

If you have a bad driving reputation, I would never let you borrow my car!  That would be foolish on my part.  The only way you could convince me was if you made some sort of demonstrable change and then... stopped crashing!  It's the same thing with building your financial reputation.  

So what's the fastest way for someone with bad credit to improve their score?

Stop missing bill payments, cut expenses or increase your income, and start paying those bills!

What do you guys think?  Is credit score very important in your financial background?  Who's come back from a bad score - what did it take?  

2Reply
173 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 57 votes
11y

I am in the minority here, as I do not think credit really affects me.  I like to buy with cash, and I know I am ready to buy another house when I have saved up enough cash.  I don't have to worry about mortgage payments, and can afford to be generous with tenants if I so desire. Having a credit line is NOT the same as having a emergency fund.  I know someone very close to me who quickly got into trouble with getting access to credit including having access to 20k unsecured credit.  He had a super score, he has been yrs struggling to pay this off.   I have been offered interest free money by my wife's relative, and I turned it down.    

I know a lot of people will not agree with this, but life is a lot simpler and more stress free when debt is not used.  Credit score is simply a tool used to control the masses

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    A good credit score as well as a good debt to income ratio is vital when it comes to finding financing.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 451 posts · 96 votes
    11y

    I've purchased with cash, quit claim, and contract for deed which didn't require any banks or credit. But I would argue that credit and debt to income ratio are extremely important even if it does nothing but widen your options. In my cases seeing that it wasn't necessary- if I fall into a financial jam having good credit can possibly get me out.

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Tim - I agree that that is an important aspect of having a great credit score - it gives you more leeway to make some mistakes and to take risks.  If I have a great credit score and the ability to access $10,000 in credit, I may not need the "emergency fund" that a lot of personal financial advisors suggest.  You already have that liquidity in the form of credit!  This is a huge way to keep out of a financial jam and apply more of your cash towards investments.

  • Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Scott Trench  , even if you have closed on that $10K credit line the bank may freeze it with little, if any, notice.  If you have not closed on it--well, lending standards can change very quickly.  It would be foolish to count that $10K as your emergency fund unless you have direct control of it.

    I occasionally fund some local rehabbers.  I have closed appox. 50 deals and have never asked for or cared about the borrower's credit score.  The loans were based primarily on my relationship to the borrower, the equity in the deal, the business model and my confidence that the borrower could execute their business model.  I knew a couple of the borrowers had some foreclosures and a couple had a recent bankruptcy.  There was enough equity in those deals that I was comfortable making the loans and the deals with those borrowers went very well.

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Rabinowitz:

    @Scott Trench  , even if you have closed on that $10K credit line the bank may freeze it with little, if any, notice.  If you have not closed on it--well, lending standards can change very quickly.  It would be foolish to count that $10K as your emergency fund unless you have direct control of it.

    I occasionally fund some local rehabbers.  I have closed appox. 50 deals and have never asked for or cared about the borrower's credit score.  The loans were based primarily on my relationship to the borrower, the equity in the deal, the business model and my confidence that the borrower could execute their business model.  I knew a couple of the borrowers had some foreclosures and a couple had a recent bankruptcy.  There was enough equity in those deals that I was comfortable making the loans and the deals with those borrowers went very well.

    Jeff - In this case I was talking more about the credit on a credit card line of credit. I typically count that as part of my liquid emergency fund personally. Do you disagree with that? I feel that in most likely scenarios I can exit investments in stocks and bonds (though not REI necessarily!) within a few weeks to pay off any credit card debt I might have to take out.

    Also - I agree completely that if you are able to find great deals and prove your worth as a rehabber that credit score becomes irrelevant - they are making you money!  Like you said, the decision to lend is based on your subjective opinion and relationship with the borrower.  On the other hand, if I have good credit, I don't have to convince a private lender to finance my first deal - I can just go to the bank and get a loan on a primary residence or put 20% down on an investment.  A far easier task, usually at a far better rate.

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
    11y

    @Scott Trench 

    "credit on a credit card line of credit. I typically count that as part of my liquid emergency fund personally."

    CC companies are a bunch of insert explicative. 

    Let's say you buy $10,000 on your CC and your current rate is 10%.  When I was late on a few payments, I have had CC companies bump mine to 30%.  Not going on new purchases but on the $10,000 I bought in the past. 

  • Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    The credit card companies can and do cancel credit cards that are inactive or when you experience an adverse event.  That credit line you are counting on may disappear at exactly the time you need it most.  It is NOT an emergency fund.

    I disagree with your assessment of bank financing.  It is the most difficult and time consuming to secure.  If you qualify, have time and are willing to jump through the hoops you will probably secure a lower interest rate than you would with a private lender (certainly lower than I loan at).  If you are putting 20% down on your deals you will have access to many types of lenders.  

    Most of my borrowers (partners) could easily qualify for bank lending at much lower rates than I charge.  They come to me because they know that if I say I will fund that they can count on it.  I have a couple borrowers with whom I have done more than 6 deals.  I sometimes forget to ask them for comps when they ask for another loan.  I have closed deals with them in 10 minute conversations.  They need fast commitments to secure their deals--they can't get that from the bank.  Yes, they pay a high interest rate but they are usually in and out of their deals quickly and they find great deals--they earn much more than I do.  I sometimes joke that the banks take 30 to 45 days to deny a loan--I can do that in 5 minutes.

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kirk R.:

    @Scott Trench 

    "credit on a credit card line of credit. I typically count that as part of my liquid emergency fund personally."

    CC companies are a bunch of insert explicative. 

    Let's say you buy $10,000 on your CC and your current rate is 10%.  When I was late on a few payments, I have had CC companies bump mine to 30%.  Not going on new purchases but on the $10,000 I bought in the past. 

     Kirk - obviously a typo on my part there.  I'm talking about this scenario:

    Say my credit card has an available balance of $10,000.  I've got some Real Estate holdings, some money in stocks and bonds in a brokerage account, and other assets spread across 401(k), etc.  In the event that I have an emergency and need $8,000 for a hospital stay, an automobile accident, or something or that nature, I can use the credit card and owe them that $8,000.  Then I can start the  (sometimes several week) process of selling off some stocks and bonds to repay the credit card debt.  Those investments are still my money, they just aren't immediately available.  BUT, they are in many cases likely available to me well within the timeframe that I would need in order to pay my credit card balance.

    This way, I don't pay a huge CC interest rate, but also don't have to hold $10,000 in my bank account where it doesn't work for me!

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Credit score is huge when it comes interest rates with 30 year loans. It also affects utilities, credit scores etc! So it is beyond important in my experience for leverage !

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
    11y

    @Scott Trench 


    401k early withdrawals are 10% and then it is counted as income another 35%.  gee wish i weren't very knowledgeable about this topic.  & you are pretty much getting your arse kick since you are into your emergency fund for an emergency.

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kirk R.:

    @Scott Trench 

    401k early withdrawals are 10% and then it is counted as income another 35%.  gee wish i weren't very knowledgeable about this topic.  & you are pretty much getting your arse kick since you are into your emergency fund for an emergency.

     I don't understand your point here - I personally have money in a brokerage account where I invest in individual equities.  This is separate from my 401(k) as I tried to point out in my previous post.  In the event that I were to have an emergency, I would use my credit card to take care of immediate needs.  I would then proceed to sell off assets in my brokerage account, transfer the money to my bank account, and pay down the credit card debt before getting hit with a CC interest charge.

    Make sense?  I think it does.  AND I live my life that way.  I believe that this allows me to cover my emergency needs and still have the ability to take advantage of the better statistical returns of the market than those in a bank checking/savings account.  I think that this is only possible for those with good credit, and a reason why credit scores are very important.

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
    11y

    My point is - if you have an emergency and have to access a 401k IRA - it is painful.

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Kirk - I'm in agreement with you on that for sure.

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
    11y

    Using your credit card IF you have the funds behind it sounds like a good idea.  IF your funds behind it are 401k/IRAish.  BAD idea.  just sayin' 

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Credit score is very important. It will only save you money when getting insurance and borrowing money. 

    It used to be more powerful and so did assets but the number 1 thing they look at now is ratios. It is nuts how when you retire and have assets that are more than the loan, they can still turn you down because of ratios. Still, getting that interest free for a year 20k credit limit Visa was nice. Try that with bad credit.

    Back when I was working, got and still have credit lines at prime. They work great for cash offers. Was one of the lucky ones that didn't get their limits cut.

    Do use lines for reserves but like @Scott Trench said having the money available if needed helps. Good LOC's require good equity though.

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Rabinowitz:

    The credit card companies can and do cancel credit cards that are inactive or when you experience an adverse event.  That credit line you are counting on may disappear at exactly the time you need it most.  It is NOT an emergency fund.

    I disagree with your assessment of bank financing.  It is the most difficult and time consuming to secure.  If you qualify, have time and are willing to jump through the hoops you will probably secure a lower interest rate than you would with a private lender (certainly lower than I loan at).  If you are putting 20% down on your deals you will have access to many types of lenders.  

    Most of my borrowers (partners) could easily qualify for bank lending at much lower rates than I charge.  They come to me because they know that if I say I will fund that they can count on it.  I have a couple borrowers with whom I have done more than 6 deals.  I sometimes forget to ask them for comps when they ask for another loan.  I have closed deals with them in 10 minute conversations.  They need fast commitments to secure their deals--they can't get that from the bank.  Yes, they pay a high interest rate but they are usually in and out of their deals quickly and they find great deals--they earn much more than I do.  I sometimes joke that the banks take 30 to 45 days to deny a loan--I can do that in 5 minutes.

     Jeff,

    I think that when I use "emergency fund" I mean a "right now fund".  If you have a limit of $10,000 on your credit card, then I'd imaging that "right now" you could spend up to $10,000 on that credit card without them cutting it out.  That said, I'm not an expert, could you provide an example of a case where the credit card company can cut your limit with little to no notice?

    With regards to bank financing - I look at it from the perspective of a first time investor. I think for most of us newbies in REI, that securing a loan from a banker, while time consuming, is probably easier than the harder to quantify steps of finding private lenders and convincing them we know what the heck we are talking about.

    I'm sure that after a couple of successful deals, I or other investors could go to lenders like yourself for funding - that's not an option for many newbies.  In the case of your first few deals, I'd argue that credit makes all the difference in the world, whereas I'm sure you wouldn't hesitate to give a successful veteran flipper a loan, even if had an abysmal score.

  • Real Estate Broker · Orange, CT · Member since 2013 · 951 posts · 218 votes
    11y

    - For Wholesaling obviously credit does not matter.

    - Fix and Flip, its a 50/50 .. but it can definitely be done with less than great credit depending on the lender.

    - Buy and Hold credit is very important.

    Also, as far as I know .. FHA loans are only for owner occupied properties.

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Phil Z.:

    - For Wholesaling obviously credit does not matter.

    - Fix and Flip, its a 50/50 .. but it can definitely be done with less than great credit depending on the lender.

    - Buy and Hold credit is very important.

    Also, as far as I know .. FHA loans are only for owner occupied properties.

    Phil - thanks for this. I think its a great summary for REI. Yes - FHA is for Owner occupiers. For me, this financing made a lot of sense, because I don't have to put a ton down, it allows me to get in the market earlier, and it can be used on small multi-families. As an owner-occupier, I think that credit score really makes a big difference and allows you to get started. A poor credit score would have set me back months or years on being able to jump into REI with this strategy.

  • Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Many people I know, with good credit, have had credit cards cancelled in the last few years.  I believe I had one cancelled for inactivity--my only notice was that it had been cancelled.  Many banks have closed many inactive lines.  The banks reevaluate their credit card businesses on an ongoing basis and they are not obligated to keep any cards open that they do not wish to.  Look at the terms of you cc agreements.   I would venture that all of them state they may do this and they do not have to give you advance notice.  

    I have funded one rehabber on his first deal.  There was enough equity that I was comfortable doing so and the property was in an area I knew well.  I suspect it was one of the easiest transactions this guy ever did as I drew up the documents and did not ask for any bank statements, proof of income, credit reports or the other myriad reports that banks require.  I also didn't require him to get an appraisal (I knew the value of the property) or a survey or incur any extra fees.  I was confident I was protected in the event I had to foreclose and dispose of the property.

    This is meant to correct what seems like a misconception you have.  I believe you may find yourself in a difficult position if you equate a credit card with an easily accessible emergency fund and that you may be discounting possibilities before you understand them.  That is your prerogative, of course, and I wish you well on your real estate journey.

  • Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 997 votes
    11y

    if you're credit score is under 620, you won't get financing in the "regular" sense...no matter how much you put down or how much money you make.  

    yes, it's stupid...thanks Frank-Dodd!!!

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    A good credit score as well as a good debt to income ratio is vital when it comes to finding financing.

     And great cash flow once you have multiple properties.

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Scott Trench , think your statement about keeping your credit score up being as important as your reputation is spot on, but also wanted to add that you do need to be careful with considering credit cards as emergency funds.  Just know that many cards will charge a fee, 2-3% for any cash advances, plus a higher interest rate than regular purchases.  Oh, and they can arbitrarily decide to drop your limit and/or cancel the card.  Thinking they won't is naive.  I've also had issues where all of the sudden they freeze charges, then say it's because they thought it was fraud.  Usually very bad timing is involved, like right when you need it most.  You need a cash reserve, even with a 401K or a nice credit card balance.    

    Also, as you add more loans for more properties, be aware that your credit score drops just because ... no idea exactly why as our properties cash flow and we've never been late on any payment, ever, but our 800+ days seem long gone and we're happy now when we see 720, even though the only difference is more installment loans for investment property.    

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Jeff S. 

      you beat me to the insurance aspect I just took it for granted all these years as my credit has stayed the same from the time I first had a credit score to 40 years later.. or basically the same as I have never missed or been late on any financial obligation... knock on wood.

    I was doing a closing in Mississippi on a NACA deal.. and it was one of those wet closings were the buyer and seller are there at the same time ( which generally I think is not a good idea) and I noticed on the buyers paper work that his insurance payment per month was higher than the mortgage payment... I inquired how that can be well it can be because they had and have crappy credit...

    Credit score is a must in most if not all lending situations if you want to get out of high interest borrowing environment.. you want to be able to walk on a car lot get the 0% financing and walk off with your new car in 2 hours after haggling price. etc etc.

    HML on the west coast definetatly look at credit and income just like banks.

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Lynn McGeein:

    @Scott Trench , think your statement about keeping your credit score up being as important as your reputation is spot on, but also wanted to add that you do need to be careful with considering credit cards as emergency funds.  Just know that many cards will charge a fee, 2-3% for any cash advances, plus a higher interest rate than regular purchases.  Oh, and they can arbitrarily decide to drop your limit and/or cancel the card.  Thinking they won't is naive.  I've also had issues where all of the sudden they freeze charges, then say it's because they thought it was fraud.  Usually very bad timing is involved, like right when you need it most.  You need a cash reserve, even with a 401K or a nice credit card balance.    

    Also, as you add more loans for more properties, be aware that your credit score drops just because ... no idea exactly why as our properties cash flow and we've never been late on any payment, ever, but our 800+ days seem long gone and we're happy now when we see 720, even though the only difference is more installment loans for investment property.    

     Lynn,

    Thanks for the feedback.  I've gotten quite a few questioning remarks about the wisdom of allowing credit cards to be a source of emergency funds.  I'm looking into that - perhaps there are some uncomfortable risks with that strategy.  Perhaps its just because I'm still young single, and healthy, that I think that makes sense.  I've never really had an emergency that would have devastated me financially or put me in a very bad position.

    I think that I will take your advice and that of @Jeff Rabinowitz and make sure that I have a nice cash fund to supplement my credit lines!

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    My credit score is VERY important in our business.  We have literally borrowed millions of dollars at 5-6% on conforming loans and on commercial lines.  None of this cheap money would have been possible without a great credit score.  Mine has dropped a bit from around 805 to around 785 of late with increased utilization and inquiries.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.