Has anyone ever used the Velocity Banking Strategy?

Has anyone ever used the Velocity Banking Strategy?

Don SpaffordPro Member
Investor 路 Idaho Falls, ID 路 Member since 2016 路 912 posts 路 629 votes

I searched for Velocity Banking but did not get anything to return except for some lenders using that name. I just was introduced to this strategy this week and was curious if anyone has done it and what their experience with it was.

If yuo don't know, the basic concept is to use a line of credit from the bank and use it like a checking account so you put yout income into it but get a LOC for like $10k, add in your income for that month, and use the $10k to pay the principal, and then pay your other expenses from that account and as long as you are spending less than what is going in, you build that LOC back up again so you are able to pay back the $10k LOC and then use it again to pay toward the principal. So if you save $1k each month, then every 10 months you can use it again or get an increased LOC and use a larger amount. Doing this strategy gets a 30 yr loan paid off in about 7 years and saved tons of interest. The LOC calculates interest on an average daily balance, so as you have money going into it each month, you are creating less of an amount to charge interest for. So over the course of a year, for that $10k LOC, assuming $4k income and $3k expenses, for a $250k mortgage at 5.25%, you pay about $13k in interest on the mortgage payments (first year of mortgage) vs only a few hundred dollars on the LOC.

The only down-side I can see is opportunity cost. That money that you are saving each month could be deployed to purchase other properties rather than helping to pay off any specific loan. But if you have enough other sources of income and strictly use the rental income for any given property to put back into its own LOC, then theoretically, you can have full 100% cash flowing properties in 7-8 years, depending on how much you are saving each month. You could even use it for your primary residence.

I just bought my first 4 plex this week, literally closed the same day I was shown this strategy, and it blew my mind. I want to use it with this property since it will be cash flowing about $700/mo and if I can get it paid off much sooner and save a lot of money in interest, that would be awesome.

10Reply
2,562 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor 路 Pasadena, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 164 posts 路 149 votes
9y

What you have to remember with this Velocity banking stuff is that it really isn't this golden goose brilliant idea that some people make it out to be. If it was, everyone would be doing it. It's also the reason why smart people can't understand what is so "brilliant" about it, because it isn't brilliant or that helpful. People advertise it as a way to pay off a mortgage in 7 years etc blah blah blah it all sounds good to the ill informed or financial illiterate, but in all honesty, you could actually do that with any mortgage you want, you just have to be disciplined. The Velocity banking is more of a way to force you to diligently pay something off quickly. Another trick they like to talk about is how much interest it saves you, they typically show you how much interest you would pay over 30 years on a mortgage and take that entire interest amount as a % of the loan or house value, which is not a true % interest you are paying lol. And of course if you pay off a house in 7 years, you "save" a lot in interest, but you can do the same by paying off a mortgage in 7 years conventionally (albeit you would still pay a little more interest). This Velocity banking is more like one of those credit card hacking people where they have a slightly better rewards package on their credit card, sure they make a few bucks more, but the effort and time it takes to do it is not worth it to some people. Yes the method is probably slightly better than just using a conventional way of paying, but it's not absurdly better or genius. This is why it's so hard to try and understand why it's so much better, it's just not. Trust me, I'm a CPA and work in corporate finance and  I've sat through a demonstration on this.

You make a very good point about opportunity cost with the HELOC and it's a huge detractor from this method. Why would you seriously care to pay down a 4-5% mortgage quickly if you are an investor and can earn 8-20% on your money. I posed this same question to the person on stage in a 40 person presentation on Velocity method and the presenter gave some ridiculous response that didn't make any sense.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad idea or a scam, but rather not some crazy good thing. The benefit from a HELOC is that it allows you to front the payment for a month, which lowers the average amount you owe on your loan throughout the month, and thus the interest you pay is lower, whereas if you didn't have the HELOC, you would have to wait a month to see that decrease in interest. They then say to take that interest savings and put it against your mortgage again and keep doing that and you have it paid off in 7 years. Ok sure, why would I want to do that if my mortgage rate is 4.2% lol, why not take that savings and invest it. They target peoples emotions "pay off your mortgage in 7 years WOW!!!" when in reality it's probably not the smartest financial advice.

See this reply in the discussion

356 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Redmond, WA 路 Member since 2018 路 2 posts 路 4 votes
    8y

    My husband and I crunched the numbers over the long term and found a better use of our money.  Because this strategy requires you to have a positive monthly cash-flow... we compared what you would save with this method vs. what you could make by investing the extra cash.  We determined (for us) that if we invested in anything with a 6% or greater return that we would make more over the same amount of time than we would save using velocity banking.   

    This is a good strategy if you are just putting your extra cash into a savings account and not making it work for you.  However there are ways to make it work even harder!  

  • Lender 路 Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA 路 Member since 2013 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    8y

    Velocity banking is the new marketing spin name for Home ownership acceleration from the 2006-2011 era now repackaged into velocity banking.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Rockford, IL 路 Member since 2014 路 4k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Scott L.:
    Originally posted by @David Dachtera:
    Originally posted by @Scott L.:
    Originally posted by @Brandon Schlichter:

    Someone told me about this 'amazing trick'.

    But here's my question - Aren't ALL Mortgages calculated on daily interest? I'm pretty sure all the mortgages I have use a daily interest rate, and if you make pre-payments in a specific way (Assigned to either interest or principal) you can attack your interest rate just as quickly and there's no need for software, a HELOC or anything like that.

    Correct. There's nothing magic about this strategy. The only way you come out ahead is to pay lower interest on one of the loans, pay more principal down on mortgage early by using a HELOC for cash flow, or some combination thereof. The rest of it is hokum. If you pay me $17,000 I will tell you how all this work. :-)

     Actually, home loans - whether they're secured by a mortgage or a Deed of Trust - are amortized loans. You probably got an amortization schedule at closing. That tells you how much of each payment goes to principal and how much to interest if you make only the minimum scheduled payment.

    Accelerate that pay back and your position in the amortization schedule moves based on how much principal you have paid beyond the minimum scheduled payment. That is, really, the key to reducing interest paid: accelerate the principal repayment.

    By the way ... telling how to do it is "free" here on BP. Clearing up misunderstandings, misinterpretations and misconceptions is where the "$17,000" comes in ;-) .

    The amortization schedule is provided by the bank to illustrate the amount of the payment toward principal and interest from each payment if paid on exactly the due date. For payments received earlier or later, the amount of interest paid will vary slightly based on the date of receipt and other factors. The only way to pay off a mortgage faster is to pay less interest or more principal than required by the amortization schedule. If you finance these additional payments, through whatever mechanism....a HELOC, 0% credit cards, my secret $17,000 plan, there's no way to pay off faster without refinancing at a lower interest rate or paying more principal sooner. With current interest rates the "float" on a HELOC from immediately depositing funds to it and paying bills from it when due is not really going to save you a lot. This is simply the business concept of reducing cash on hand/working capital to the minimum necessary to maintain your obligations. Since us little guys don't have access to the commercial paper markets and guaranteed lines of credit (HELOCS can be frozen), we're really safer keeping cash on hand and foregoing the (negligible) interest savings in return for peace of mind. No one yet has come up with a way to pay a mortgage faster without paying more principal earlier than required, which of course begs the question of where this additional cash comes from.... ;-)

    Quite true, Scott.

    This is not effective for those living paycheck to paycheck or who have more month left at the end of the money.

    It is really only effective for people who are already managing their finances responsibly.

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor 路 Odenton, MD 路 Member since 2017 路 204 posts 路 144 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @DeShawn Smith:
    Originally posted by @Brian Cardwell:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I have a small problem. My bank will not allow me to use my LOC for my Bill pay. How do I work around that?

    So you can handle this by transferring the money from the LOC to your checking account for your bills. Just make sure that you leave the excess in the HELOC.

    This would be a 2nd Lien HELOC correct? In this case will you still be as effective as a mortgage in the 1st Lien?

    I've read that the 1st lien are "safer" for you and the lender but can you achieve the same results w/o being in the 1st position? 

    Also, would you mind explaining what the excess left into the HELOC dose and how it works?

    For example, you have 30K available but draw 20K ... what is that extra 10K doing while sitting inside your LOC?

    Thanks in advance for your time.

     @DeShawn Smith

    I think i may not be being clear. I will try to keep it simple.

    Basic facts :

    Primary mortgage. Equals 200k

    Salary equals 5k.

    Total monthly expenses equals 3k

    HELOC equals 20k in second position

    So lets start this off.

    First let's pull 10k out of the HELOC and put it on the principle of the 1st mortgage.

    First mortgage = 190k

    Heloc= 10k balance

    Month 1

    Then let's put your entire paycheck in the HELOC acct. This accomplishes paying the minimum payment on the HELOC.

    HELOC= 5k balance

    Now let's pay your expenses from your HELOC.

    HELOC = 8k balance 5k(balance)+3k(expenses)

    Month 1 balance

    Primary mortgage 190k owed

    HELOC 8k owed

    Total debt 198k owed

    Month 2

    Put the entire paycheck in the HELOC

    HELOC balance 3k owed (8k-5k)

    Pay expenses of 3k

    Mortgage Balance 190k

    HELOC balance of 6k owed (3k+3k)

    Total debt is 196k

    Month 3 

    Pay expenses 3k

    HELOC =9k

    Put entire check in the HELOC

    HELOC = 4k

    Mortgage Balance owed 190k

    HELOC = 4k

    Total owed 194k

    Rinse and repeat......

    In month 5 your heloc balance owed will be 0.

    Month 6

    So in month 6 you put 10k from your heloc on the principle of your primary mortgage. 

    Primary mortgage Balance 180k.

    HELOC balance is 10k

    Total owed is 190k

    Put your entire paycheck in the HELOC

    HELOC balance. 5k

    pay your expenses 3k

    HELOC balance is 8k

    Primary mortgage Balance is 180k

    Total debt 188k

    Month 7

    Put entire paycheck in the HELOC 5k

    HELOC = 3k

    Pay your expenses 3k

    HELOC balance is 6k

    Mortgage Balance is 180

    Total debt is 186k

    At the end of one year your principle balance will be 180k . Not bad for living the same lifestyle and still have access to some cash. 

    Rinse and repeat until your debt is gone

    It really is that simple.

    The extra open credit (10k) on the HELOC above the 10k in this case is used as an emergency fund.

    To answer your question ... I don't know I have not done the numbers with the HELOC being in the 1st position. I did mine using the HELOC in the second position. Concerns about the bank freezing the HELOC. I personally worried about it as much as I worried about an asteroid hitting the planet and wiping out mankind.

    As far as asking a banker about this ...well it isn't in their best interest to know or to tell you about this. Pun was intended. So you may look to them as experts but most of them are clueless when it comes to thinking out of the box.

    Disclaimer:

    So I am not a financial advisor and I didn't stay at a holiday in last night. I worked for me. That is all I can say.

  • Investor 路 Dayton, OH 路 Member since 2017 路 9 posts 路 1 vote
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Cardwell:
    Originally posted by @DeShawn Smith:
    Originally posted by @Brian Cardwell:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I have a small problem. My bank will not allow me to use my LOC for my Bill pay. How do I work around that?

    So you can handle this by transferring the money from the LOC to your checking account for your bills. Just make sure that you leave the excess in the HELOC.

    This would be a 2nd Lien HELOC correct? In this case will you still be as effective as a mortgage in the 1st Lien?

    I've read that the 1st lien are "safer" for you and the lender but can you achieve the same results w/o being in the 1st position? 

    Also, would you mind explaining what the excess left into the HELOC dose and how it works?

    For example, you have 30K available but draw 20K ... what is that extra 10K doing while sitting inside your LOC?

    Thanks in advance for your time.

     @DeShawn Smith

    I think i may not be being clear. I will try to keep it simple.

    Basic facts :

    Primary mortgage. Equals 200k

    Salary equals 5k.

    Total monthly expenses equals 3k

    HELOC equals 20k in second position

    So lets start this off.

    First let's pull 10k out of the HELOC and put it on the principle of the 1st mortgage.

    First mortgage = 190k

    Heloc= 10k balance

    Month 1

    Then let's put your entire paycheck in the HELOC acct. This accomplishes paying the minimum payment on the HELOC.

    HELOC= 5k balance

    Now let's pay your expenses from your HELOC.

    HELOC = 8k balance 5k(balance)+3k(expenses)

    Month 1 balance

    Primary mortgage 190k owed

    HELOC 8k owed

    Total debt 198k owed

    Month 2

    Put the entire paycheck in the HELOC

    HELOC balance 3k owed (8k-5k)

    Pay expenses of 3k

    Mortgage Balance 190k

    HELOC balance of 6k owed (3k+3k)

    Total debt is 196k

    Month 3 

    Pay expenses 3k

    HELOC =9k

    Put entire check in the HELOC

    HELOC = 4k

    Mortgage Balance owed 190k

    HELOC = 4k

    Total owed 194k

    Rinse and repeat......

    In month 5 your heloc balance owed will be 0.

    Month 6

    So in month 6 you put 10k from your heloc on the principle of your primary mortgage. 

    Primary mortgage Balance 180k.

    HELOC balance is 10k

    Total owed is 190k

    Put your entire paycheck in the HELOC

    HELOC balance. 5k

    pay your expenses 3k

    HELOC balance is 8k

    Primary mortgage Balance is 180k

    Total debt 188k

    Month 7

    Put entire paycheck in the HELOC 5k

    HELOC = 3k

    Pay your expenses 3k

    HELOC balance is 6k

    Mortgage Balance is 180

    Total debt is 186k

    At the end of one year your principle balance will be 180k . Not bad for living the same lifestyle and still have access to some cash. 

    Rinse and repeat until your debt is gone

    It really is that simple.

    The extra open credit (10k) on the HELOC above the 10k in this case is used as an emergency fund.

    To answer your question ... I don't know I have not done the numbers with the HELOC being in the 1st position. I did mine using the HELOC in the second position. Concerns about the bank freezing the HELOC. I personally worried about it as much as I worried about an asteroid hitting the planet and wiping out mankind.

    As far as asking a banker about this ...well it isn't in their best interest to know or to tell you about this. Pun was intended. So you may look to them as experts but most of them are clueless when it comes to thinking out of the box.

    Disclaimer:

    So I am not a financial advisor and I didn't stay at a holiday in last night. I worked for me. That is all I can say.

     Super clear, thank you for your time and patience. 

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor 路 Odenton, MD 路 Member since 2017 路 204 posts 路 144 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @DeShawn Smith:
    Originally posted by @Brian Cardwell:

    Well either way YOU spin it . I paid off my $252k mortgage in less than 7 years

     In so many other forms I have seen the BP community provide guidance "details" and I can't help but wonder on why not the same level of openness on this one. 

    I have personally been researching this method for months and have called more than 20 different banks to learn more... I've even developed up a checklist that I'll share if anyone want's it/and will add to it... I guess I'll just keep researching because although I'd like to take the step I can't see myself refinancing into a 1st Lien w/o knowing exactly how to execute for success.

    If there are any books or information you or others are willing/able to share I'm standing by. 

    So for refinancing into a first position HELOC . One could use the heloc just as one would use a bank acct. The money that you have above and beyond your monthly income stays in the first position HELOC while at the same time lowers your principle. The beauty of this is every bit of your income that you are putting towards that first position HELOC is still excessable. All mortgages should be like this. Oh wait prior to when the federal reserve came into existence, they were.

    Oh but it is variable. So what! interest rates have never historical gone up super fast. You will still be ahead of the game even if it does go up.

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor 路 Odenton, MD 路 Member since 2017 路 204 posts 路 144 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @DeShawn Smith:
    Originally posted by @Brian Cardwell:
    Originally posted by @DeShawn Smith:
    Originally posted by @Brian Cardwell:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I have a small problem. My bank will not allow me to use my LOC for my Bill pay. How do I work around that?

    So you can handle this by transferring the money from the LOC to your checking account for your bills. Just make sure that you leave the excess in the HELOC.

    This would be a 2nd Lien HELOC correct? In this case will you still be as effective as a mortgage in the 1st Lien?

    I've read that the 1st lien are "safer" for you and the lender but can you achieve the same results w/o being in the 1st position? 

    Also, would you mind explaining what the excess left into the HELOC dose and how it works?

    For example, you have 30K available but draw 20K ... what is that extra 10K doing while sitting inside your LOC?

    Thanks in advance for your time.

     @DeShawn Smith

    I think i may not be being clear. I will try to keep it simple.

    Basic facts :

    Primary mortgage. Equals 200k

    Salary equals 5k.

    Total monthly expenses equals 3k

    HELOC equals 20k in second position

    So lets start this off.

    First let's pull 10k out of the HELOC and put it on the principle of the 1st mortgage.

    First mortgage = 190k

    Heloc= 10k balance

    Month 1

    Then let's put your entire paycheck in the HELOC acct. This accomplishes paying the minimum payment on the HELOC.

    HELOC= 5k balance

    Now let's pay your expenses from your HELOC.

    HELOC = 8k balance 5k(balance)+3k(expenses)

    Month 1 balance

    Primary mortgage 190k owed

    HELOC 8k owed

    Total debt 198k owed

    Month 2

    Put the entire paycheck in the HELOC

    HELOC balance 3k owed (8k-5k)

    Pay expenses of 3k

    Mortgage Balance 190k

    HELOC balance of 6k owed (3k+3k)

    Total debt is 196k

    Month 3 

    Pay expenses 3k

    HELOC =9k

    Put entire check in the HELOC

    HELOC = 4k

    Mortgage Balance owed 190k

    HELOC = 4k

    Total owed 194k

    Rinse and repeat......

    In month 5 your heloc balance owed will be 0.

    Month 6

    So in month 6 you put 10k from your heloc on the principle of your primary mortgage. 

    Primary mortgage Balance 180k.

    HELOC balance is 10k

    Total owed is 190k

    Put your entire paycheck in the HELOC

    HELOC balance. 5k

    pay your expenses 3k

    HELOC balance is 8k

    Primary mortgage Balance is 180k

    Total debt 188k

    Month 7

    Put entire paycheck in the HELOC 5k

    HELOC = 3k

    Pay your expenses 3k

    HELOC balance is 6k

    Mortgage Balance is 180

    Total debt is 186k

    At the end of one year your principle balance will be 180k . Not bad for living the same lifestyle and still have access to some cash. 

    Rinse and repeat until your debt is gone

    It really is that simple.

    The extra open credit (10k) on the HELOC above the 10k in this case is used as an emergency fund.

    To answer your question ... I don't know I have not done the numbers with the HELOC being in the 1st position. I did mine using the HELOC in the second position. Concerns about the bank freezing the HELOC. I personally worried about it as much as I worried about an asteroid hitting the planet and wiping out mankind.

    As far as asking a banker about this ...well it isn't in their best interest to know or to tell you about this. Pun was intended. So you may look to them as experts but most of them are clueless when it comes to thinking out of the box.

    Disclaimer:

    So I am not a financial advisor and I didn't stay at a holiday in last night. I worked for me. That is all I can say.

     Super clear, thank you for your time and patience. 

    No problem glad to help馃榿

  • Investor 路 New York, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 43 posts 路 29 votes
    8y

    @Renee Bridwell perhaps you could post the name of some lending institutions that offer 1st lien HELOCs on any type of property.  If such a product is available I think many of us could benefit from that information.

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor 路 Odenton, MD 路 Member since 2017 路 204 posts 路 144 votes
    8y

    @James Kendrick 

    I have my first position HELOC with Tower Federal credit Union. I would think that many other banks would do this if you ask them.

  • Fairfield, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 29 posts 路 22 votes
    8y

    @James Kendrick Navy fed worked well for me being a USMC  vet.  My objective hasn鈥檛 been to pay off my home, but to pay down my home to rapidly save up for additional down payments and reserves, while keeping as much control over my additional principal payments.  The reward miles come in handy having two daughters in travel volleyball.  I鈥檓 not really into the the argument over interest rate, just the volume of it leaving my account.  All I know is I pay the same amount I would for an amortized loan over the minimum interest only payment and every month my minimum interest payment goes down and more goes to principal.  When I sat down and looked at how much I鈥檝e paid for the convenience of the bank storing my money for me, I almost passed out.  For me, I was able differentiate the difference between the strategy vs a company offering it.  I will say, it鈥檚 not for everyone and everyone has to gauge their appetite for risk.  I only do this with one of my properties to reduce my exposure.  Everyone has their own strategy, I have mine.

  • Maricopa, AZ 路 Member since 2014 路 1 post 路 1 vote
    8y

    I just closed on a first lien position HELOC with Desert Financial Credit Union in Arizona. 2.99% for the 1st year.

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Gilbert, AZ 路 Member since 2016 路 3k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Brian Cardwell I just looked at your explaination and I appreciate you taking the time to write it out, but I didn't see any of the 10k going towards interest. Also, it looked like there was 2k a month extra. Couldn't you have just applied that towards the principle and have gotten the same effect without needing to use the HELOC?

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor 路 Odenton, MD 路 Member since 2017 路 204 posts 路 144 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Shiloh Lundahl:

    @Brian Cardwell I just looked at your explaination and I appreciate you taking the time to write it out, but I didn't see any of the 10k going towards interest. Also, it looked like there was 2k a month extra. Couldn't you have just applied that towards the principle and have gotten the same effect without needing to use the HELOC?

    The 10k doesn't go to the interest. It goes towards the principle. The 2k represents the amount of money left over for the month. That money stays in the HELOC.

    Direct answer to your question is "yes". You could have done that. Here is why I didn't. I didn't because I wanted to still have access to that 2k if I needed it. By using the heloc it allowed me to still have access to that 2k each month.

    There will be those who say it doesn't make sense to do that. It did/does make sense to me and my mortgage was paid off in less than 7years. I also now have a line of credit to pull from if I want. Plus my credit score benefited from it too. 

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor 路 Odenton, MD 路 Member since 2017 路 204 posts 路 144 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Vinayraj Pillai:

    I just closed on a first lien position HELOC with Desert Financial Credit Union in Arizona. 2.99% for the 1st year.

     @Vinayraj Pillai

    Congratulations! Use it wisely.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 St. Petersburg, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 3k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    8y
    In this scheme, aren't you then basically paying interest on your own cash in the bank? Instead of using cash that you already have to accelerate your mortgage, you are using a HELOC, which you pay interest on....
  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor 路 Odenton, MD 路 Member since 2017 路 204 posts 路 144 votes
    8y

    Nope to the question. I spent less than 75 dollars a month to save 135k in interest and still have my access to my extra money monthly

  • Rental Property Investor 路 St. Petersburg, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 3k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    8y
    @Brian Cardwell what did you spend $75 per month on?
  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor 路 Odenton, MD 路 Member since 2017 路 204 posts 路 144 votes
    8y

    Interest from the HELOC.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 St. Petersburg, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 3k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    8y
    So then @Brian Cardwell, aren't you just paying $75/mo interest to have access to your own cash? How would your result change if you used your cash instead of the HELOC? I try to wrap my head around how this saves any money. You have to pay down principal to save interest, so paying interest on the money your using to pay principal seems counter productive. Maybe I need to do more research because it's intriguing, but seems like a strange way to go about it.
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire 路 Northeast, TN 路 Member since 2015 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    8y

    Man, this is for sure Groundhog Day!

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor 路 Odenton, MD 路 Member since 2017 路 204 posts 路 144 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jason D.:
    So then @Brian Cardwell, aren't you just paying $75/mo interest to have access to your own cash? How would your result change if you used your cash instead of the HELOC? I try to wrap my head around how this saves any money. You have to pay down principal to save interest, so paying interest on the money your using to pay principal seems counter productive. Maybe I need to do more research because it's intriguing, but seems like a strange way to go about it.

    You could just throw your extra cash at the principle. Once you do that, you no longer have that cash. If you use the heloc you will still have access to your money if needed. To have access it will cost you the interest that you will owe on the balance of the HELOC.

    I agree it does sound counter productive. I don't know how to make it sound productive other than saying it works and saved me over 130k and paid my home off in less than 7yrs. 

    Some will say I could have done it faster/ cheaper without the HELOC. The HELOC gave me some level of comfort which worked for me.

  • Don SpaffordPro Member
    OP
    Investor 路 Idaho Falls, ID 路 Member since 2016 路 912 posts 路 629 votes
    8y

    From what I have understood about, it is that it moves your amortization schedule way ahead each time you make the large LOC payment so that each consecutive normal monthly payment is then automatically paying more toward principle rather than interest. By simply paying more each month, you do not get as large of an effect on this. the further ahead in your amortization you get, the larger percentage of your payment goes toward principle. So if you pay an extra $500/mo in your payment toward principle, over a year you maybe get 2-3 payments ahead. But by making a large payment of $10k, it jumps you YEARS ahead in your payment schedule which is why you then are able to pay it off this way in 7-10 years and the extra minimal interest you pay on the LOC is negligible for the overall savings you get from it. I admit, it is not for everybody and if it doesn't make sense to you then you should maybe stay away or do more research to understand it better. Mathematically, it makes sense. As others have said, you could possibly get better use from the money to invest in other properties, so you have to do your own due diligence and decide what is best for you.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor 路 Sioux Falls, SD 路 Member since 2015 路 9k+ posts 路 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Cardwell:
    Originally posted by @Shiloh Lundahl:

    @Brian Cardwell I just looked at your explaination and I appreciate you taking the time to write it out, but I didn't see any of the 10k going towards interest. Also, it looked like there was 2k a month extra. Couldn't you have just applied that towards the principle and have gotten the same effect without needing to use the HELOC?

    The 10k doesn't go to the interest. It goes towards the principle. The 2k represents the amount of money left over for the month. That money stays in the HELOC.

    Direct answer to your question is "yes". You could have done that. Here is why I didn't. I didn't because I wanted to still have access to that 2k if I needed it. By using the heloc it allowed me to still have access to that 2k each month.

    There will be those who say it doesn't make sense to do that. It did/does make sense to me and my mortgage was paid off in less than 7years. I also now have a line of credit to pull from if I want. Plus my credit score benefited from it too. 

    You could have just opened paid $2K extra to your mortgage every month and kept a revolving credit account open for emergencies, whether that be HELOC or credit card. Ultimately the HELOC isn't needed to pay off a mortgage faster. It is the extra principal payments that pay off the mortgage. Your HELOC and mortgage interest works out the same, assuming similar interest rate. I understand for you the HELOC made it easier, but it is not necessary and doesn't result in any faster pay off than just writing an extra principal check each month.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor 路 Sioux Falls, SD 路 Member since 2015 路 9k+ posts 路 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Don Spafford:

    From what I have understood about, it is that it moves your amortization schedule way ahead each time you make the large LOC payment so that each consecutive normal monthly payment is then automatically paying more toward principle rather than interest. By simply paying more each month, you do not get as large of an effect on this. the further ahead in your amortization you get, the larger percentage of your payment goes toward principle. So if you pay an extra $500/mo in your payment toward principle, over a year you maybe get 2-3 payments ahead. But by making a large payment of $10k, it jumps you YEARS ahead in your payment schedule which is why you then are able to pay it off this way in 7-10 years and the extra minimal interest you pay on the LOC is negligible for the overall savings you get from it. I admit, it is not for everybody and if it doesn't make sense to you then you should maybe stay away or do more research to understand it better. Mathematically, it makes sense. As others have said, you could possibly get better use from the money to invest in other properties, so you have to do your own due diligence and decide what is best for you.

    This is a major misconception (false claim in some Youtube videos) about using a HELOC to chunk payments. Let's say you make a $10K payment from your HELOC to your mortgage, you then owe $10K on your HELOC. If you were paying $500 per month to the HELOC, part of that would go towards interest and part towards principal. Let's say your HELOC rate is 5%. It will take 21 months to pay off the HELOC making $500 per month payments. Interest on mortgages and HELOC accrue the same way, so transferring debt to the HELOC results in the same interest being paid (assuming rates on the mortgage and HELOC are the same). Yes, you can pay off a mortgage faster, but only by making extra principal payments. There is no difference mathematically between using a HELOC to pay $10K and versus just paying $500 per month to your mortgage. All you are doing is transferring debt from one loan to another when you use the HELOC.

  • Investor 路 Midlothian, VA 路 Member since 2015 路 980 posts 路 823 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Don Spafford:

    From what I have understood about, it is that it moves your amortization schedule way ahead each time you make the large LOC payment so that each consecutive normal monthly payment is then automatically paying more toward principle rather than interest. By simply paying more each month, you do not get as large of an effect on this. the further ahead in your amortization you get, the larger percentage of your payment goes toward principle. So if you pay an extra $500/mo in your payment toward principle, over a year you maybe get 2-3 payments ahead. But by making a large payment of $10k, it jumps you YEARS ahead in your payment schedule which is why you then are able to pay it off this way in 7-10 years and the extra minimal interest you pay on the LOC is negligible for the overall savings you get from it. I admit, it is not for everybody and if it doesn't make sense to you then you should maybe stay away or do more research to understand it better. Mathematically, it makes sense. As others have said, you could possibly get better use from the money to invest in other properties, so you have to do your own due diligence and decide what is best for you.

    The issue is that you are transferring the interest that you would have been paying to the 1st mortgage on that $10k to paying interest on the HELOC for that $10k. It may be negligible depending on your HELOC terms, but it is almost certainly more than just applying those payments to the 1st mortgage in the first place without the more expensive HELOC. The question then becomes do you want to pay for the right to access that money again. I believe the general consensus is that this is mostly a psychological strategy that allows you to justify paying your mortgage down much faster than you otherwise would have, but it will cost you more.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.