Where do you buy appliances?

Where do you buy appliances?

Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes

The tenants who have lived 16+ years at one of our units are moving out. The stove, range hood, and fridge were purchased by the previous landlord but are definitely 16+ years old. We are trying to buy a new set before the new tenants move in. 

I am wondering where do you usually find good bargains? We have a Sears outlet store in town, selling appliances with minor dents. But I am also exploring other options. 

Thank you for your advice!

0Reply
121 views

Most Popular Reply

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
4y

@Wendy Jiang

Hi Wendy. One thing I would caution you against is bargain-hunting. You don't want bargains in this business. You want dependable, long-lasting appliances whose cost includes delivery and the removal of the old appliance.

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 384 posts · 197 votes
    4y

    Typically we usually buy appliances from HomeDepot, BestBuy and Lowe's. I usually try my best to keep track of the discount seasons, so that I can buy them as cheap as possible!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2017 · 223 posts · 177 votes
    4y

    @Wendy Jiang

    Home Depot and Lowes for the warranty, convenience, and install/haul off for B Class and up rentals.

    If it’s a C Class or lower rental then I may use them or I may have my handyman get something off Facebook marketplace or a local used appliance store.

    The used appliance store usually has good inventory and quick deliveries when big box stores might not.

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mary Smith:

    Typically we usually buy appliances from HomeDepot, BestBuy and Lowe's. I usually try my best to keep track of the discount seasons, so that I can buy them as cheap as possible!


    Thanks! I just called Lowe's yesterday. The store staff told me about the floor sample clearance section which they constantly restock. I am checking that out too. 

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Keenan Fitzpatrick:

    @Wendy Jiang

    Home Depot and Lowes for the warranty, convenience, and install/haul off for B Class and up rentals.

    If it’s a C Class or lower rental then I may use them or I may have my handyman get something off Facebook marketplace or a local used appliance store.

    The used appliance store usually has good inventory and quick deliveries when big box stores might not.


     In my case, it's B class. After reading everyone's advice, I think HomeDepot, Lowes, BestBuy and Costco are my best bet. 

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Tom Fisher:

    Many communities have a small appliance company that buys scratch and dents from major regional distributors, wholesalers or manufacturers.   They operate out of storage units or cheap warehouse space.   Their inventory won’t include matching units but it’s new and they sell at a discount. The one in my area backs up their sales with a guarantee if something is internally damaged.     Find that outfit in your area.   Craig’s LIst, FB Marketplace or a Google search will help you find one.  Avoid the temptation to buy used equipment however shiny.  We avoid Samsung and LG as we’ve found their replacement parts are pricey.   Also,  if you have an appliance repair guy who is your go-to,  consult with him/her/them.


    Thank you Tom! That's really helpful. I did find two local stores who buy and sell appliances with minor cosmetic damages. I am driving over to check them out tomorrow. Thanks for the great advice on Samsung and LG. I am not a big fan of Samsung, having used their products at my own home. It's good to know their replacement parts are pricey.

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    @Wendy Jiang I don't see any post mentioning brand. You'll find a lot of great deals on new Samsung and LG appliances but talk to any appliance repair tech and they will recommend staying away from these two brands. Just google "class action lawsuit Samsung/LG" and you'll find many articles to read. 

    We've had the best luck with the Whirlpool brands including Maytag and Amana. We only manage A/B detached single family homes so we don't use Hotpoint.


     Thank you Heidi! That's really helpful advice! 

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Adah N.:

    @Wendy Jiang

    Check out Best Buy outlets. There deal beats Sears Outlets(now American Freight)


     Unfortunately no Best Buy outlets in my region :(

  • Rental Property Investor · Mansfield, OH · Member since 2021 · 129 posts · 89 votes
    4y

    Sams Club and Home Depot typically. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 84 posts · 81 votes
    4y

    @Wendy Jiang

    Depends on what I'm looking for

    I need something nice today

    Home Depot Lowe's etc

    Nice but I can wait or just anything that works but I can wait

    Facebook offer up etc

    Just need something that works today

    There are local small places that refurbish appliances and resell them, usually nothing special but gets the job done.

    They are neighborhood stores so probably won't advertise anywhere you'll have to dig around.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    If you can find a friend that is a designer or perhaps a contractor that has a trade discount of 10-20%, that could be helpful. We have worked with a designer in the past that has 10% off of everything on Wayfair and a few retailers, for example. She has allowed us, as a favor, to purchase at no extra cost on some random items.

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Travis Timmons:

    If you can find a friend that is a designer or perhaps a contractor that has a trade discount of 10-20%, that could be helpful. We have worked with a designer in the past that has 10% off of everything on Wayfair and a few retailers, for example. She has allowed us, as a favor, to purchase at no extra cost on some random items.

    I love this idea!

  • Investor · Beaver Springs, PA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Lowes with a 5% discount... estate sales are a good place to check if the big box stores are sold out.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Wendy Jiang I prefer Lowes because they keep the biggest stock and have the fastest shipping time between their store and the closest warehouse as compared to the local Home Depot.

    I’d have to travel 45 minutes to an hour for another store carrying appliances.

  • Homeowner · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    @Wendy Jiang

    Hey Ma’am!

    If available, Costco hands down. Reasons below:

    1. Fair pricing

    2. Great warranties

    Normally, I would go the cheep route on many items for a property, but in terms of appliances, having the “right” warranties on your items is more than half the battle. As a landlord, appliances are equipment. My .02. Wishing you well!

    Best,

    Christian

  • Investor · West University Place, TX · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Wendy Jiang:

    The tenants who have lived 16+ years at one of our units are moving out. The stove, range hood, and fridge were purchased by the previous landlord but are definitely 16+ years old. We are trying to buy a new set before the new tenants move in. 

    I am wondering where do you usually find good bargains? We have a Sears outlet store in town, selling appliances with minor dents. But I am also exploring other options. 

    Thank you for your advice!

    Home depot with their installation service. The prices are similar between Lowes and Home Depot but I have found installation charges are cheaper with Home depot.
  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @George Sauder:

    Lowes with a 5% discount... estate sales are a good place to check if the big box stores are sold out.


     Thanks George. To get the 5% discount, I need to open a credit card with them, right?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I have found Costco's selection to be very limited and more high-end. And surprisingly their prices are not always lower......Last time we bought higher end stuff, we found the exact same appliances for probably 20% less elsewhere......

  • Attorney · Durham, NH · Member since 2019 · 292 posts · 126 votes
    4y

    I expect local property management to be most resourceful on this--e.g., whether it's a relationship with a Lowes store manager or an independent business.

  • New to Real Estate · Burlington MA · Member since 2022 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    Habitat for Humanity ReStore: Home improvement stores and donation centers selling new and gently used furniture, appliances, home goods, building materials and more. My local store in Massachusetts has many decent appliances when folks remodel. I have also bought used/refurbished appliances for my own home after having Lowe's and Home Depot appliances with all the bells and whistles fail after a couple years with good results.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.